What's cooking TGIFriday 12/10/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have smoked ham hocks simmering for green split peas soup.

Any plans?

If I get off work in time, I'll make a meatloaf or maybe I'll just do up some oatmeal tonight.

Not sure. I ma grill some kilbasa and bake a sweet potato. If get lazy, I may do take-out.

I have a "chateaubriand" from that tough cow defrosted in the fridge. I'll try to think up some way of braising it.

Hello,

DH's company is having their annual Christmas Party, so it will just be me and kids for dinner. We all agreed on Chinese take out ... it's been a while, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Enjoy the day:chef:

First Time Enchiladas

I'm making enchiladas for the first time. I've checked out a bunch of recipes, but like my own idea better.

I'm going to use browned ground beef, ground pork and onion with stewed tomatoes and taco seasoning. (My basic taco meat mixture.)

I'll roll 'em with a little bit of canned enchilada sauce, and a little shredded cheddar in flour tortillas and bake in a casserole with canned enchilada sauce on bottom and top with extra shredded cheddar.

I plan to cook them until the tortillas get a little browned around the edges.

The remaining taco meat mixture will probably be used to make chili. If I decide I really like the flavor of the enchilada sauce, I may add it or some of it to the chili.

If there isn't enough taco meat mixture left, I'll just make a couple of hard shell tacos. I'm sure I'll have enough for at least one meal.:chef:

I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas for improvement, cooking times and temp. TIA

Zhizara - I think your recipe idea sounds great. Do let us know how they come out. I love enchiladas, but have never made them, so your recipe might be my inspiration to make them.

Results of Enchilada Experiment

I added about 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce to the meat mixture and rolled the enchiladas in the small flour tortillas.

I put sauce on the bottom of the pan and on top.
I won't do this step again. The bottom and sides were soggy. Still very tasty, but soggy

When I make burritos I bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so ending up with firm crispy tortillas. I will do this with the enchiladas next time, and have warmed enchilada sauce on the side for dipping.

I'll also add the cheese to the inside of the enchilada. I didn't this time as I am running low on shredded cheese, so I just sprinkled some on the top.

All in all, a tasty dish. With these tweaks, I forsee a new TNT.

I'll put together a recipe next time I make it with the tweaks, just to be sure they work like I think they will.

Last edited:
dw was really sick today (it actually kinda scared me. i've never seen her so bad in the 19 years we've been together), so i rummaged through the upstairs kitchen for things that needed to be used up, then kept the little guy downstairs to let her sleep.

we made turkey meatballs in sauce and chicken parm, then we browned some chicken sausage in preparation for stuffing for a turkey that i'm going to roast on saturday.

after all of that, dw woke up and wanted a roast beef platter from the hot grill in clifton nj, so we all shared a dinner of roast beast on a hard roll, hot dogs with mustard, onions, and texas weiner sauce (a thin chilli), and french fries with gravy.

I'm making enchiladas for the first time. I've checked out a bunch of recipes, but like my own idea better.

I'm going to use browned ground beef, ground pork and onion with stewed tomatoes and taco seasoning. (My basic taco meat mixture.)

I'll roll 'em with a little bit of canned enchilada sauce, and a little shredded cheddar in flour tortillas and bake in a casserole with canned enchilada sauce on bottom and top with extra shredded cheddar.

I plan to cook them until the tortillas get a little browned around the edges.

The remaining taco meat mixture will probably be used to make chili. If I decide I really like the flavor of the enchilada sauce, I may add it or some of it to the chili.

If there isn't enough taco meat mixture left, I'll just make a couple of hard shell tacos. I'm sure I'll have enough for at least one meal.:chef:

I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas for improvement, cooking times and temp. TIA

Sounds a lot like I do them. Can you get Hatch's enchilada sauce at the Walmart? It's the best one I've ever had in a can.

i have yummy left-over mushroom gratin. think i will scramble some eggs to have with it. and make some sourdough toast.

Oh that sounds good!

I ended up with chicken enchiladas with cheese sauce and spanish rice with black beans. I had a problem with the tortillas, will just use masa dough next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom