What's cooking this St. Patrick's Day? Sat. 3/17/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
img_1120356_0_54fd2f69db97615eeddfa9c97211ed48.jpg

:lucky:I'm making the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage with carrots and red potatoes. The family will be here for dinner. What are your plans?:lucky:

I have a stout soaked corned beef ready for the crockpot in the morning. Carrots, potatoes and cabbage ready to go, too!:D

My best friend knew I was going to make corned beef and cabbage, and she admitted she has never had it before. So we will bring it all over there and I will make corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and onions. :cool:

Stout marinated cornbeef, a variety of 3 cabbage genre types: swiss chard, cavolo and broccoli rabe and potato ... We shall do a round of Guiness Black & Tan for a toast, and " a beer tasting " with a tapa of marinaded olives, all of them green ... and dessert is a quick home made sponge with a green food coloring mint frosting to be served with MINT GREEN ICECREAM with choc chips ... espresso or café with Bailey´s or Real steeped tea, Earl Grey ... and an Irish Whiskey ( coffee with Irish Whiskey ) ...

Have fun, got to run ---

Margi.

Last edited:
For lunch were going to my dads house for a fish fry.

Dinner I will be doing Carne Asada (flank steak) beans and Mexican rice.

We're not that fond of corned beef and cabbage. (I like, DH - meh) I have a meatloaf from the freezer that I didn't cook yesterday. We'll have that.

I was going out for some pub grub but I decided to stay home. The combination of warm temps, March Madness and St. Patrick's day will be too much for me! The police were on the news today explaining which laws you could break today before 7:00PM and how they would enforce them after that hour, only in America! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think a hot sausage sandwich. a salad and a beer!

I was going out for some pub grub but I decided to stay home. The combination of warm temps, March Madness and St. Patrick's day will be too much for me! The police were on the news today explaining which laws you could break today before 7:00PM and how they would enforce them after that hour, only in America! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think a hot sausage sandwich. a salad and a beer!
HUH?

I just put my corned beef brisket on the smoker to make it into pastrami. I'll pick up some rye bread and Swiss cheese later (already have the kraut and dressing) and make sandwiches for dinner. Maybe some boiled potatoes and butter, too.

Doing prep now for traditional corned beef and cabbage, will probably start simmering around 2:00pm. It's a small piece, only 3.5lbs.

Despite my being Irish, I am making Pizza today, and not something traditionally Irish.

Ive never celebrated St Patricks day much. When I was a kid it was just a day to go to church, whether it was Sunday or not, so I associate it with the opposite of fun.

Thanks for all the replies. Have a lovely Saturday and wkend. The dishwasher is working full time. Had a colleague who is Irish and her Spanish husband for Guiness stout marinated corn beef and Broccoli rabe, swiss chard and cavolo black cabbage ... desserts were fun ... Bailey´s coffee, Irish coffee, and mint choc chip icecream with green frosted mint sponge --- now a walk !

Margi.

Last edited:
I'm with the majority - corned beef simmering, veggies ready, cabbage wedges waiting for that last minute plunge! Only I am having to do this all early as DH needs it for take-out...working tonight.

My best friend is taking me to our favourite tea house today. I think I will go for the Irish Breakfast tea! Hopefully they have their mint Nanaimo Bars for the occasion. I think my diet will forgive me just this once :angel:.

Mozzarella sticks wrapped in puff pastry with pesto dipping sauce.

Put a small tri tip (about 2 1/2 lbs) in the slow cooker with French Onion soup, garlic, Guinness & Italian seasoning. About 2 hours before the end of cooking time, I'll add Brussels sprouts, potatoes, carrots, & onions.

Mascarpone cheesecake (from the bakery) topped with fresh sliced strawberries.

Thanks for posting Cerise. Yes, us too --- Guiness stout marinated cornbeef, 3 types of cabbage: cavolo black, swiss chard and broccoli rabe ... the Irish Bailey´s with café or Irish coffee were served with pale pale green mint choc chip icecream on top of green frosted mint sponge ... now, we want to get out for a walk !
Have lovely evening -- it is already 19.00 hrs. ( 7pm ) here.
Margi.

Thanks for posting Cerise. Yes, us too --- Guiness stout marinated cornbeef, 3 types of cabbage: cavolo black, swiss chard and broccoli rabe ... the Irish Bailey´s with café or Irish coffee were served with pale pale green mint choc chip icecream on top of green frosted mint sponge ... now, we want to get out for a walk !
Have lovely evening -- it is already 19.00 hrs. ( 7pm ) here.
Margi.

Tri-tip is different (not crazy about corned beef). This will be an experiment.

Your meal sounds delish!

If I had more time, and better baking skills, I would try this Guinness chocolate cheese cake. Next time ;-) Have a lovely day.

Closet Cooking: Guinness Chocolate Cheesecake

Back
Top Bottom