What's Cooking this Wednesday, 10-7-2015?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think ACS/ Am goulash/ and JM taste different depending on what you decide to call it.

It was a great fall day and I put together my part of dinner and trekked around the short end of the lake to Dx's. We grilled boneless chix breast and thighs and I brought along some bbq sauce made with Catalina french dressing, whole berry cranberry sauce and fresh ginger, and some potatoes for baking/grilling. She made a salad and Yay- apple pie and ice cream. I came home with more Pie and a baggie chox chip cookies.

ACS has nothing at all do to with Chinese food, or real chop suey.

Ground beef satuéed with onion. Add tomato, paste and green bell peppers cook a bit and toss with cooked elbow macaroni.

In all fairness I'd never heard of ACS before here, but I made your recipe Andy, and it was delish!:yum:

ACS has nothing at all do to with Chinese food, or real chop suey...
In the Northeast, you're right. But the same general ground meat/noodle(pasta) dish exists under different names in every region. And, unfortunately, in my little 40x100 region (house lot size) of greater Cleveland, ACS was the name of what was a poorly executed riff on Chinese food. I REALLY have to relearn imagining YOUR version of the meal when YOU post "ACS". :yum:

In the Northeast, you're right. But the same general ground meat/noodle(pasta) dish exists under different names in every region. And, unfortunately, in my little 40x100 region (house lot size) of greater Cleveland, ACS was the name of what was a poorly executed riff on Chinese food. I REALLY have to relearn imagining YOUR version of the meal when YOU post "ACS". :yum:

The ACS I described is the New England standard name. I don't think it's used anywhere else, even though the dish is everywhere.

The ACS you describe does not sound appetizing. Sorry. Although I have a really good recipe for actual chop suey.

Last edited:
Growing up in the midwest (and still here, just a few states over), admitedly I had never heard of American chop suey.

I think the school lunch ladies also called it goulash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom