What's cooking, Thursday July 23, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
i haven't a clue as of yet. i hope i can sleep. as silly as this sounds i get cooking inspiration in my dreams!! i am thinking new england clam chowder.

img_838364_0_0c5da23eed9fe304539294380dbdde29.jpg

so is anyone eating today? any tentative meal plan?

i am tentitvely planning new england clam chowder and a salad and/or a meat probably beef.
but i can always use some inspiration. :rolleyes:

I'm just barely awake. Dinner is very far away.
ahaaaaaaaaaa it is 9:30AM here and i have to have a game plan early for dinner of 4 people ie do i need to defrost, pre-prep, start or shop in advance of meal.

I've got friends coming over for a combined meal, and the theme is Spanish tapas. I'm fixing 1.) Fried Garlic bread and Charizo Sausage, 2.) Crostini brushed with olive oil and sweetened truffel infused basalmic vinegar, and 3.) chopped dates and almonds on a whole wheat cracker spread with cream cheese. My friends are bringing two types of empanadas. We get together nearly every Thursday evening for a theme dinner, and we'll occasionally invite other friends as well. Some of our themes, beyond the usual "seafood" kind of thing, has been "Great Britain Pre-600 a.d.", "Pre-Columbus America", "Stadium and Ball Park Food", "Chinese Peasant", and "Emperor Nero's Table." It often makes us do some research into that era or theme, and puts some human interest into where we were then and where we are now in a culinary sense.

I've got friends coming over for a combined meal, and the theme is Spanish tapas. I'm fixing 1.) Fried Garlic bread and Charizo Sausage, 2.) Crostini brushed with olive oil and sweetened truffel infused basalmic vinegar, and 3.) chopped dates and almonds on a whole wheat cracker spread with cream cheese. My friends are bringing two types of empanadas. We get together nearly every Thursday evening for a theme dinner, and we'll occasionally invite other friends as well. Some of our themes, beyond the usual "seafood" kind of thing, has been "Great Britain Pre-600 a.d.", "Pre-Columbus America", "Stadium and Ball Park Food", "Chinese Peasant", and "Emperor Nero's Table." It often makes us do some research into that era or theme, and puts some human interest into where we were then and where we are now in a culinary sense.
that sounds like a learning experience and interesting fun meals!! your planned dishes sound so good!! take some pictures of all the food. i would love to see them.

I'm making my "Baked Cheese-Stuffed Poblano Peppers" - sort of like a healthier version of "Chilis Rellenos". Will serve with rice or a rice/bean mix & a green salad.

Probably leftovers. I made spaghetti with a sausage tomato sauce the other night, husband and son left for a two-week backpacking trip. Carb-loaded the night before they left. I'll have the sauce on spaghetti squash.

Friday is cook new night so tonight is whatever the fridge gots! there is some grilled chicken, ratatouie, dirty rice, and some salad fixings and that sounds like plenty for the two of us. Oh, and corn in the back fridge. We can eat!

Either the leftover ribs from last night (they were so good!) or salisbury steak covered in onion gravy. Sides will be whatever I can find at the farmers' market today.

i am running over my meal for today in my minds eye and i swear my minds nose can smell it!! LOL

cream of clam soup better known as new england clam chowder, chuck steak grilled on my stop top CI grill pan and green 7 lettuce salad with my homemade house dressing.

i am running over my meal for today in my minds eye and i swear my minds nose can smell it!! LOL

cream of clam soup better known as new england clam chowder, chuck steak grilled on my stop top CI grill pan and green 7 lettuce salad with my homemade house dressing.
i think i may change the way i do the steak. i'm thinking of doing it under the broiler. olive oil and season and broil one side and after the flip dress other side with olive oil and seasoned, broiled till almost done then sprinkled with bread crumbs and dry oregano and broiled till crumbs brown and steak is done.

Real blackened white fish, with my own marnade.

When I cut the recipe down I forgot to cut the cooking time down as well instead of 2 servings for 30 minutes it should have been 1 serving for 15 minutes "stupid me"

Any hoo it was really really darn good!.

here's a picture of it.

599922105_weqNy-S.jpg

Either the leftover ribs from last night (they were so good!) or salisbury steak covered in onion gravy. Sides will be whatever I can find at the farmers' market today.

Total change - Farmer's sausage with salad and new potatoes.

Dinner is served

Homemade Creamy clam chowder topped with scallions and oyster crackers on the side.

img_838598_0_099575cd862baa0f0c6e4bcf742d154f.jpg

img_838598_1_15f01b270edf5d3c4d7dac9dd2f69b1f.jpg

Broiled chuck steak (seasoned with olive oil, spices and oregano) and steamed string bean salad dressed with fresh garlic slivered, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and olive oil.

img_838598_2_dcb7d9f4325ec8465c8f172a59262f16.jpg

so turned those leftovers into chesadillas ... chopped grilled chicken, ratatouille, mozzarella, flour tortillas and a fry pan. really good! fast and made use of the leftovers!

Chicken and rice with Madeira Sauce, curried carrots and peas.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 209
to hot to cook.have going to grill some shrimp in skillet also some whole kernal corn. put the two on butter lettuce. have tomato from garden, some mushrooms, if still good, crackers and iced anything. don't know yet about the dressing. or dessert.

Back
Top Bottom