What's cooking Thursday May 6, 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
It will either be tacos (taco salad for me) or seasoned, seared then baked b/s chicken breasts with broccoli sauted with olive oil and garlec over bowties. it depends on if the over repair guy ordered the RIGHT replacment part THIS time!! no oven for 2 weeks!! :(

what about you?

Roast turkey breast, stuffing, gravy, bulgar pilaf and veggies.
that sounds great. i have never had bulgar. can you compare the flavor to something for me. is it a good alternative to rice? i have been told i am diabetic and am looking for starches that are healthy and don't dump an excess of sugars into my blood all at once. is bulgar more of a grain (like wheat berries) or a pasta?

Got a craving for beanies and weanies, so it's either that or... no it's beanies and weanies.
ooooooooooooooo now you got me craving!! LOL

img_894759_0_98459b07623c7c688ae160da3d36a52f.jpg

img_894759_1_ff0d3814f7bb9a94a129fb3ff26d1f92.jpg

Here is my mom's recipe for rice pilaf. I make it this way because she and everyone else I knew since childhood makes it this way. There are many different recipes for pilaf. This one works for me.

This recipe is for rice (long grain white) pilaf. Bulgar comes in different grinds for different uses. I use fine ground for pilaf. Use a cup of bulgar in place of the cup of rice and do everything else the same.

PILAF

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

You can add some minced onion to the butter and pasta if you like. It's a delicious addition.

In place of the chicken broth, you can use beef broth if you're serving it with beef.

In place of angel hair, you can use orzo.

I also make this with brown rice but it takes an additional half cup of liquid and about 45 minutes cooking time.

I hope you like it.

Here is my mom's recipe for rice pilaf. I make it this way because she and everyone else I knew since childhood makes it this way. There are many different recipes for pilaf. This one works for me.

This recipe is for rice (long grain white) pilaf. Bulgar comes in different grinds for different uses. I use fine ground for pilaf. Use a cup of bulgar in place of the cup of rice and do everything else the same.

PILAF

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

You can add some minced onion to the butter and pasta if you like. It's a delicious addition.

In place of the chicken broth, you can use beef broth if you're serving it with beef.

In place of angel hair, you can use orzo.

I also make this with brown rice but it takes an additional half cup of liquid and about 45 minutes cooking time.

I hope you like it.
thank you i will try it. its sort of like my homemade rice/roni.

Yes, it is like Rice-A-Roni.

There is also a boxed mix from Near East brand that's decent. But given how easy this is to make, buying a box mix seems unnecessary.

that sounds great. i have never had bulgar. can you compare the flavor to something for me. is it a good alternative to rice? i have been told i am diabetic and am looking for starches that are healthy and don't dump an excess of sugars into my blood all at once. is bulgar more of a grain (like wheat berries) or a pasta?
msmofet, and carb will raise your blood glucose. What you need to do is start with say 1/4 cup wait 2 hours test your bg's if it's under 140 your doing great and then try 1/2 c. and see what your reading is.This lets you gauge how much you can eat.People think sugar, honey, is the only carb that gets us. Not so Corn,potatoes, rice, are the culprets as well.All foods are healthy if eaten in moderation.These foods have carbs not so much sugar but we all know that,Just test, it will teach you to know your body better than anyone even a doctor!!
kades

Still rying to decide whats for dinner. Tacos or boneless/skinless chicken breast and broccoli sauted in olive oil and fresh garlic next to or over cooked bowtie pasta. chicken seems to be pulling ahead but 1 daughter still hasn't voted.

I made some shrimp salad since I have fresh bread. :)

Just waiting for a certain someone to get home.

YUMMY!! need recipe for salad and dressing.

do i see almonds and some kind of dried fruit?

it contained almonds, raisins which I wished I had left out, new spring green red onion, asparagus, cooked egg, bacon, the dressing is raspberry vinaigrette:

1/4 cup home canned raspberry sauce AKA liquid gold
scant 1/4 cup vinegar
1 T. sugar
s&p
garlic powder or fresh
mustard, I used about 1/2 t. dried hot powder

Chili! Not sure if it will be just chili or if I'll make taco salad with it.

Back
Top Bottom