"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Master Chef

What's cooking Thursday May 6, 2010?

It will either be tacos (taco salad for me) or seasoned, seared then baked b/s chicken breasts with broccoli sauted with olive oil and garlec over bowties. it depends on if the over repair guy ordered the RIGHT replacment part THIS time!! no oven for 2 weeks!!

what about you?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Roast turkey breast, stuffing, gravy, bulgar pilaf and veggies.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Roast turkey breast, stuffing, gravy, bulgar pilaf and veggies.
that sounds great. i have never had bulgar. can you compare the flavor to something for me. is it a good alternative to rice? i have been told i am diabetic and am looking for starches that are healthy and don't dump an excess of sugars into my blood all at once. is bulgar more of a grain (like wheat berries) or a pasta?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Bulgar is wheat. It's most similar in taste to brown rice pilaf.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

Got a craving for beanies and weanies, so it's either that or... no it's beanies and weanies.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Got a craving for beanies and weanies, so it's either that or... no it's beanies and weanies.
ooooooooooooooo now you got me craving!! LOL

Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Bulgar is wheat. It's most similar in taste to brown rice pilaf.
thank you. do you have a recipe for the bulgar pilaf? i have never made pilaf before.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Here is my mom's recipe for rice pilaf. I make it this way because she and everyone else I knew since childhood makes it this way. There are many different recipes for pilaf. This one works for me.

This recipe is for rice (long grain white) pilaf. Bulgar comes in different grinds for different uses. I use fine ground for pilaf. Use a cup of bulgar in place of the cup of rice and do everything else the same.

PILAF

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

You can add some minced onion to the butter and pasta if you like. It's a delicious addition.

In place of the chicken broth, you can use beef broth if you're serving it with beef.

In place of angel hair, you can use orzo.

I also make this with brown rice but it takes an additional half cup of liquid and about 45 minutes cooking time.

I hope you like it.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Here is my mom's recipe for rice pilaf. I make it this way because she and everyone else I knew since childhood makes it this way. There are many different recipes for pilaf. This one works for me.

This recipe is for rice (long grain white) pilaf. Bulgar comes in different grinds for different uses. I use fine ground for pilaf. Use a cup of bulgar in place of the cup of rice and do everything else the same.

PILAF

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

You can add some minced onion to the butter and pasta if you like. It's a delicious addition.

In place of the chicken broth, you can use beef broth if you're serving it with beef.

In place of angel hair, you can use orzo.

I also make this with brown rice but it takes an additional half cup of liquid and about 45 minutes cooking time.

I hope you like it.
thank you i will try it. its sort of like my homemade rice/roni.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, it is like Rice-A-Roni.

There is also a boxed mix from Near East brand that's decent. But given how easy this is to make, buying a box mix seems unnecessary.