What's Cooking Today, Sunday 2/26/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pan fried seasoned (with my AP seasoning and poultry seasoning) boneless pork loin chops, seasoned Trader Joe’s “teeny tiny” potatoes, mushroom caps and onions fried in chop drippings, grape seed oil and butter and baby spinach and grape tomatoes (dressed with grape seed oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and AP seasoning).

img_1112579_0_c0bae3a49f6761fdc2310cfddafa04ca.jpg

oh man, i want to eat at mofet's and kathleen's. maybe after lunch with margi. i definitely need to go to spain.

we had our "blue and gold" cub scout dinner today catered from a local restaurant. they didn't make many new customers afaik. the food was good for the most part but still but disappointing.

the chicken marsala was very good for a buffet setting; cavatelli and broccoli, french fries, salad, chicken fingers - ok or good.
but the pasta in sauce was unbelievable overcooked, and who can't make a good italian meatball? their's tasted like some weird pale meat and bread balls.

all of the other goings on at the dinner were great, though. i'm glad dw and i decided almost exactly a year ago to take our son to the cub scout pack in this town. great kids, great parents.

Thank you bucky.

Glad your dinner basically went well except for a few food problems.

I started out my cooking evening testing recipes for my work in progress: the Chinese dish Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in sweet creamy sauce. I was working on the phase cooking the shrimp (all the different ways) and came upon one I prefer and will document soon. (Not to deny you, it's S+P+minced garlic+Balsamic vinegar, marinate, then toss in cornstarch before frying them.)

Then I cooked Trader Joe's Orange Chicken in my remaining oil, threw in some large diced brown onions, threw in some left over (frozen) pineapple chunks in juice, didn't want to bother with the spice packet so I splashed some Balsamic vinegar (sour) and went with the pineapple juice (sweet) and squeezed a garlic clove through my Zyliss press, then stirred it up and served it over white rice.

It was pretty good and I have two Orange sauce spice packets for next time on the TJ's recipe. And my shrimp experiments gave me a pretty good idea how I want my shrimp phase to go on that recipe. I still have the walnut phase and the creamy sauce phase (honey, mayonnaise, condensed milk) left to perfect. Then there's a few things to add and voila! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom