What's Cooking Today, Sunday 2/26/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Left-overs from last night. Still had some beef from the grilled burritos and just made deluxe nachos with sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes.

I started out my cooking evening testing recipes for my work in progress: the Chinese dish Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in sweet creamy sauce. I was working on the phase cooking the shrimp (all the different ways) and came upon one I prefer and will document soon. (Not to deny you, it's S+P+minced garlic+Balsamic vinegar, marinate, then toss in cornstarch before frying them.)

Then I cooked Trader Joe's Orange Chicken in my remaining oil, threw in some large diced brown onions, threw in some left over (frozen) pineapple chunks in juice, didn't want to bother with the spice packet so I splashed some Balsamic vinegar (sour) and went with the pineapple juice (sweet) and squeezed a garlic clove through my Zyliss press, then stirred it up and served it over white rice.

It was pretty good and I have two Orange sauce spice packets for next time on the TJ's recipe. And my shrimp experiments gave me a pretty good idea how I want my shrimp phase to go on that recipe. I still have the walnut phase and the creamy sauce phase (honey, mayonnaise, condensed milk) left to perfect. Then there's a few things to add and voila! :)

Interesting ideas Greg, thanks.

Thought I'd mention that I also really like Trader Joe's Orange chicken. I always nuke the contents of the sauce packets in a large measuring cup with about 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice and some orange zest. That way there's plenty of sauce for not only the chicken, but also the rice.
I also like chopped green onions and cashews on the top.

TJ's Orange Chicken is a little too plain for me. I almost always add brown onion (in 1" squares), pineapple chunks, and green bell pepper (also 1" squares). Sometimes I use the sauce packet, or sometimes I just make a quick and dirty sweet 'n sour sauce as I did above. Sometimes I've followed the oven instructions for heating the battered chicken, other times like last night I sauteed the chicken along with the onion (I didn't have any bell peppers).

I like to add onions (again 1" squares) to TJ's Teriyaki Chicken too. Just the teriyaki alone is too plain for me.

Thanks for the OJ and zest idea! And the chopped green onions and cashews sound good too! I have to exercise self control because I'm tempted to add cashews or peanuts to many Chinese dishes.

You might like to try this sometime: Saute your cashews (or peanuts) until they're browned, then drain on paper towels. Cook the rest of your dish and then add the nuts back to the dish just before serving.

I have been missing you JJUK!!

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy MM!!!!:)) I'm so sorry I did a runner but had some personal probs but back for good now;)

I missed seeing your lovely photos too and great to see your dishes again:) I'm just deciding what camera to buy because my old one broke and once I've chosen a good one I will start posting photos again:chef:

Really nice to see you again;)

Jonny.

Pan fried seasoned (with my AP seasoning and poultry seasoning) boneless pork loin chops, seasoned Trader Joe’s “teeny tiny” potatoes, mushroom caps and onions fried in chop drippings, grape seed oil and butter and baby spinach and grape tomatoes (dressed with grape seed oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and AP seasoning).

img_1112820_0_c0bae3a49f6761fdc2310cfddafa04ca.jpg

YUM YUM YUM!!!! That picture is good enough to eat:yum:

I enjoyed it so much when we shared photos of our culinary creations:)

YUM YUM YUM!!!! That picture is good enough to eat:yum:

I enjoyed it so much when we shared photos of our culinary creations:)
Welcome back!!

Thank you. I only post pictures on the weekend lately because I am working a temp job in the evenings so I only cook on the weekends and take pictures. I plan easy meals and my DD does the cooking during the week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom