What's Cooking Today? Wed. Oct. 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Harry. It wasn't as striking as your lovely meals, but filling none the less :)

Katy, has it always been Cod for the 'fish and chips' or did they use some other fish in the past? Here in New England the fish of choice used to be Haddock. But our government has put restrictions on how much can be caught. As a result the price is often too high. But I still will buy one medium size filet. Just enough for one person. :angel:
with you on that one addie.i much prefer haddock to cod...much tastier imho.seems to be a north/south divide over here when it comes to chippies.apparently we eat more haddock "oop norff" while they eat more cod "darn sarff"!
currently haddock fillet is cheaper than cod this side of the pond(£8 to £10/kilo).presumably due to the opposite reason why your haddock is expensive.weird 'innit:wacko:!!

One of these days I'll have to learn to fiddle with kidneys. My mother and her brother made a mean beef and kidney stew and I miss it.

One of these days I'll have to learn to fiddle with kidneys. My mother and her brother made a mean beef and kidney stew and I miss it.
now we're talkin' pure comfort pac...food that give ya a huuuuUUUUUGE HUGG! steak & kidney(or snake & pigmy as it's known round 'ere!!) pie,puddin' or stew...who cares,it's all good:yum:!!

with you on that one addie.i much prefer haddock to cod...much tastier imho.seems to be a north/south divide over here when it comes to chippies.apparently we eat more haddock "oop norff" while they eat more cod "darn sarff"!
currently haddock fillet is cheaper than cod this side of the pond(£8 to £10/kilo).presumably due to the opposite reason why your haddock is expensive.weird 'innit:wacko:!!
Because of the problem with cod stocks lots of the cod's cousins are coming into the shops - Pollack and coley for example. Often they where formerly the fish you bought for your cat and sadly underestimated. Coley doesn't look very appetising on the fishmonger's slab (a bit on the grey-ish side) but it cooks up to a nice white opaqueness and tastes good. I always buy it for variations on a fish pie and for fish curries and I also poach or grill it and serve it with a sauce. I'm pretty sure the local fish and chip shop uses it, too.

What makes me laugh is "monk fish" - angler fish to you and me. 30 years ago it was by-catch and you'd see it very occasionally, complete with very ugly head, in the fishmonger's window as a curiosity. I don't think our fishmonger ever sold it until I came along as he had no idea what to charge me for it - on the first occasion he gave it to me free as he thought it was for the cat! Even when he cottoned on to the fact that I was eating it it still only cost pennies. Contrast the situation now. The last time I saw some this year it was £18.99 a kilo (about $30 a kilo or roughly $15 a pound :ohmy:). The power of the celebrity chef I suppose.

Incidentally, Haddock is apparently going the way of cod due to over-fishing.

Last edited:
Because of the problem with cod stocks lots of the cod's cousins are coming into the shops - Pollack and coley for example. Often they where formerly the fish you bought for your cat and sadly underestimated. Coley doesn't look very appetising on the fishmonger's slab (a bit on the grey-ish side) but it cooks up to a nice white opaqueness and tastes good. I always buy it for variations on a fish pie and for fish curries and I also poach or grill it and serve it with a sauce. I'm pretty sure the local fish and chip shop uses it, too.

What makes me laugh is "monk fish" - angler fish to you and me. 30 years ago it was by-catch and you'd see it very occasionally, complete with very ugly head, in the fishmonger's window as a curiosity. I don't think our fishmonger ever sold it until I came along as he had no idea what to charge me for it - on the first occasion he gave it to me free as he thought it was for the cat! Even when he cottoned on to the fact that I was eating it it still only cost pennies. Contrast the situation now. The last time I saw some this year it was £18.99 a kilo (about $30 a kilo or roughly $15 a pound :ohmy:). The power of the celebrity chef I suppose.

Incidentally, Haddock is apparently going the way of cod due to over-fishing.
i've cooked with coley & pollock for years,very underrated fish.monk fish never fails to disappoint,over rated & over priced imho.gurnard is one of my favourites.imo it's streets ahead of monk on texture/taste & only £5/kilo in tesco.£8/kilo after beheading/skinning so less than half the price of a monk tail.fried some the other day....delicious!pics are on:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/food-photos-80448-51.html#post1310941

Sure, if you click on "more" :LOL: Too much work! ;)

Dried bay leaves. (See, I'm not evil. I could have said that I don't know, I'm cooking outside :LOL:)

Clicking on "more" is too much work?? Shocking! :-p

And there you are - not evil, as I said! ;)

well,hello to you too katy!!tan?manchester?bit of a contradiction in terms there m'dear!! pic was taken a couple of years ago when i was visiting friends in miami.taken down the local fire pit joint.craig c knows the place.great ribs & wings:yum:!

Ah, that explains it! It's a long time since I visited Manchester, but it rained all the time! (Though to be fair that is not too different from the rest of the country of course!) :LOL: Good summer this year though, wouldn't you agree?

i've cooked with coley & pollock for years,very underrated fish.monk fish never fails to disappoint,over rated & over priced imho.gurnard is one of my favourites.imo it's streets ahead of monk on texture/taste & only £5/kilo in tesco.£8/kilo after beheading/skinning so less than half the price of a monk tail.fried some the other day....delicious!pics are on:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't all that impressed with Monkfish - just can't see what is so great about it at all.

I have no problems with Coley and Pollack. Haven't tried Gurnard so far.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't all that impressed with Monkfish - just can't see what is so great about it at all.

I have no problems with Coley and Pollack. Haven't tried Gurnard so far.
not many people have thank goodness....when they do the price will rocket!!
historically cornish fishermen use them to bait their crab & lobster pots...lucky old crustaceans says i!!
when the head & skin are removed you are left with what looks like a small monkfish tail,central spine,few bones,sweet & firm flesh....perfick!!

I (used to) use monkfish in paella on the recommendation of a Spanish friend and it used to be used (before it was fashionable and therefore when it was inexpensive) in cheap "scampi" (and you could tell!!)

Last edited:
Ah, that explains it! It's a long time since I visited Manchester, but it rained all the time! (Though to be fair that is not too different from the rest of the country of course!) :LOL: Good summer this year though, wouldn't you agree?
Excuse ME!! Manchester has a lower rainfall than a lot of places in Britain - we were told at school that Dartmoor had far higher rainfall that we did and neither M/c or Dartmoor feature in the 19 wettest places in Britain. Still the damp climate round here did benefit the cotton trade.:rolleyes:

Yes, excellent summer this year. The hay has been really good and Mike at the stables has managed three cuts - unheard of in this area. We were due a decent one after last year when it was so cold and wet all summer.

Last edited:
not many people have thank goodness....when they do the price will rocket!!
historically cornish fishermen use them to bait their crab & lobster pots...lucky old crustaceans says i!!
when the head & skin are removed you are left with what looks like a small monkfish tail,central spine,few bones,sweet & firm flesh....perfick!!
Not seen gurnard on the slab for years. I used to buy it from the aforementioned monkfish stockist. I agree, "very tasty, very sweet"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom