What's Cooking Today? Wed. Oct. 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have let time slip and everything I have is frozen.
So that's where I'm at.
I'm half tempted to walk the aisles at the store and see what grabs my taste buds.
Plus I'm out of beer.

Katy, has it always been Cod for the 'fish and chips' or did they use some other fish in the past? Here in New England the fish of choice used to be Haddock. But our government has put restrictions on how much can be caught. As a result the price is often too high. But I still will buy one medium size filet. Just enough for one person. :angel:

Ah, well, that is an interesting question Addie! I'm not sure about the history element, but "Cod and Chips" has been a standard for decades at least. However, most chip shops also offer Haddock. Or so they say! There are lots of white fish from the same "family" so it is not beyond the possibility that some places are selling Cod or Haddock which is not exactly what it seems! We have lots of restrictions on Cod in particular because numbers are dwindling. But to be fair, I don't mind what the fish is called as long as it tastes nice when smothered in batter and deep fried. Then it needs to be plonked next to some "proper" chips that have been salted and liberally coated with vinegar - not the diddy little fries you get at MacDonalds! :)

I have let time slip and everything I have is frozen.
So that's where I'm at.
I'm half tempted to walk the aisles at the store and see what grabs my taste buds.
Plus I'm out of beer.

Out of beer??? You definitely need to get to the store Pac! ;)

Consider it done, Rocket and Katy!
I also picked up some chuck roasts, mushrooms and celery. I already have the carrots, onions and potatoes, so tonight's dinner will be stew.

I've got some chicken tenderloins thawing that will become chicken nuggets. Since I'll be deep frying those, I'll also do french fries and maybe some corn nuggets or mushrooms too.

Tonight we had a make-it-up-as-you-go dish. I stir fried some flank steak with red and green bell peppers, and served it over rice with a kinda sorta szechuan sauce. Not bad.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 150
Actually I'd be more depraved but the devil/evil smiley isn't readily available :D

The stew is simmering. Nothing left to do now but wait... :whistling

D/evil smiley? This one? :devilish: (It's a standard one on this site)

Anyway Pac. You can't be evil. You like puppies! :-p

What are those leaves? I am thinking Bay or Sage? (Bay seems more likely).

Last edited:
I thought for sure you would come home from the store with beer and deli fried chicken!

They had one left, Bea, so I was definitely looking... but for all I know it was leftover from lunch :wacko: They tend to put out more eight piece fried dinners for lunch and whole (something) spiced chickens for dinner.

D/evil smiley? This one? :devilish: (It's a standard one on this site)

Anyway Pac. You can't be evil. You like puppies! :-p

What are those leaves? I am thinking Bay or Sage? (Bay seems more likely).

Sure, if you click on "more" :LOL: Too much work! ;)

Dried bay leaves. (See, I'm not evil. I could have said that I don't know, I'm cooking outside :LOL:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom