What's Cooking Today? Wed. Oct. 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight we had a make-it-up-as-you-go dish. I stir fried some flank steak with red and green bell peppers, and served it over rice with a kinda sorta szechuan sauce. Not bad.

Sounds delicious.

Did you use Szechuan pepper? Such a strange ingredient!

We ordered out: crispy coated wings for me and a Philly cheese steak sub (no tomato) for Stirling. I ordered more wings than usual. I wanted leftovers. I ate almost all of them. I think I had a wing deficit.

We ordered out: crispy coated wings for me and a Philly cheese steak sub (no tomato) for Stirling. I ordered more wings than usual. I wanted leftovers. I ate almost all of them. I think I had a wing deficit.

Do tomatoes come standard in Canada? I've never heard of tomatoes on Philly cheese steaks, but I'm sure I'd one that way.

And I know I have a wing deficiency :bounce:
That's what I almost made tonight.

Do tomatoes come standard in Canada? I've never heard of tomatoes on Philly cheese steaks, but I'm sure I'd one that way.

And I know I have a wing deficiency :bounce:
That's what I almost made tonight.
Ya know, I think tomatoes are pretty standard. The lady asked "All dressed" and I replied, "Yes, but no tomato."

Interesting. A slight variation being dressed, but it works for me.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to mention this on this thread, but "wings" are weird.

They appear to be made up of just skin, and bone - with some stringy muscle tendon to keep the two together.

What is appealing about this?

I can't see that there is anything to actually eat?

I had leftover cornbread-sausage-apple dressing from last night, so I reheated some of that and pan-seared some pork loin chops. I made an apple-cider-mustard sauce from the pan drippings and served it with a medley of sautéed zucchini, roasted red peppers and garlic, seasoned with thyme.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to mention this on this thread, but "wings" are weird.

They appear to be made up of just skin, and bone - with some stringy muscle tendon to keep the two together.

What is appealing about this?

I can't see that there is anything to actually eat?

God, next thing you know you'll be saying you don't like bacon. You heretic you :LOL:

Seriously, IMO it's all about the sauce. Sauce/seasoning is to wings what dip is to crackers.
It's like if you made a really good chicken and wished you had some more pieces with skin on it. Because that's where the flavoring is. If you make just wings you have all of that. You've got all that outside seasoning and just a little meat inside. The polar opposite of a chicken breast.

God, next thing you know you'll be saying you don't like bacon. You heretic you :LOL:

Seriously, IMO it's all about the sauce. Sauce/seasoning is to wings what dip is to crackers.
It's like if you made a really good chicken and wished you had some more pieces with skin on it. Because that's where the flavoring is. If you make just wings you have all of that. You've got all that outside seasoning and just a little meat inside. The polar opposite of a chicken breast.
Yup, and I get all the wings at my house. Stirling thinks they are too fiddly and he isn't fond of skin on birds. :wacko:

Oh no. Bacon is lovely! :yum: (We can always agree on that!)

What you are saying is that skin and fat is better than ...well... meat.

Pac. There is no way around this. We disagree! :shock:

Can it ever be the same way again? :cry:

Surely we can come to some arrangement?

I am happy to agree that skin and bones make a great base for gravy? :)

Katy, there is meat on the two sections of a chicken wing. The first section is like a mini drumstick and the second section has meat between the two bones. Granted, it's not a lot, but coupled with the crispy skin and a flavorful sauce, they are fantastic. The meat has a better flavor than white breast meat. It's more like dark meat.

Of course, you have to be willing to use your fingers and get them dirty. Can't eat a wing with a knife and fork.

Lots of good meals tonight. My turkey sandwich pales in comparison....

I have to ask. When I was in New York, the rain came down suddenly and heavily and my friend and I took shelter in a bar.

It seemed nice enough so we ordered drinks and "hot meat sandwiches" not really knowing what to expect.

We were served with the most delicious (and quite simple) sandwiches. They were filled with very thin slices of hot turkey between robust slices of bread. There were no accompaniments of any description. To date, I haven't had a nicer turkey sandwich.

Did your turkey sandwich "hit the spot" at the right time and the right place?If so, it was a good meal methinks! :)

It was definitley good. I look forward to it. It is as traditional as the Thanksgiving Turkey dinner. Except it happens a day or two later with the leftovers. I don't think I eat turkey sandwiches any other time of the year. Lightly toasted, mayonaise, lettuce, lots of pepper.....crunchy dill pickle on the side, cold lager to wash it down.....still have a bit of turkey left. May do it again for supper tomorrow...lol

I have let time slip and everything I have is frozen.
So that's where I'm at.
I'm half tempted to walk the aisles at the store and see what grabs my taste buds.
Plus I'm out of beer.

Well, you have been distracted by a little girl...:)

Greetings fellow Brit! I am looking at your pic and thinking you can't have got that tan in Manchester! :rolleyes:

Oh and your dinner looks like a winner. :)
well,hello to you too katy!!tan?manchester?bit of a contradiction in terms there m'dear!! pic was taken a couple of years ago when i was visiting friends in miami.taken down the local fire pit joint.craig c knows the place.great ribs & wings:yum:!

Back
Top Bottom