What's Cooking Tuesday 1/18/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oven fried panko chicken seasoned with allspice, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Dragonlady noodles on the side.

That scalded bread sounds like something I'd like to try, Kathleen. I've never heard of that before.
Back when I used to hunt I used to make venison stew for one of our meals the following year at deer camp. I'm not sure it wasn't freezer burned, but it was always finished :ermm:

Chicken melt and warm spinach salad.

Attachments

• chicken melt & spinach salad.jpg
    chicken melt & spinach salad.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 172
The deer stew turned out GREAT. Frank will have to give details on how he made it, but it had tons of veggies, which I love, and the broth was savory.

I contributed scalded bread, which is boiling water poured over white cornmeal with salt added. When it is the consistency of play-dough, you dip your hands in COLD water so you can pat out the cornmeal and fry it in patties. Then slather it in butter and eat! Mmmm

Kathleen, is there any reason why I couldn't use yellow cornmeal? I receive a 5# bag occasionally in my Commodities (I'm still working on the bag I received last year). It makes delicious grits.:chef:

Good looking, and sounding food tonight. :)

I threw this together for a one pan meal, and it turned out to be a keeper.
Made some meatballs and browned them. Put them aside, and sauted some sliced Crimini mushrooms. Added one cup or Orzo pasta, an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, a 14oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 cups of water. I added the partly cooked meatballs back to the pan and simmered covered for 15 minutes, removed the cover to simmer another 5 minutes.
Dang fine meal with a green salad.
img_960981_0_8772ebb9834b864885bd94d21573c08b.jpg

That scalded bread sounds like something I'd like to try, Kathleen. I've never heard of that before.
Back when I used to hunt I used to make venison stew for one of our meals the following year at deer camp. I'm not sure it wasn't freezer burned, but it was always finished :ermm:

I love scalded bread - especially with thick stews. Basically, boil your water and add salt until it is "a bit less salty than the sea." Add corn meal and stir until it is no longer lumpy and is pliable. If it is not thick enough, sprinkle a bit more in and mix it thoroughly. Keep cold water running and make your patties. Patty size is round and no bigger than a small hamburger bun top. The cornmeal should have no trouble holding its shape. My mother fried it in solid Crisco. I like corn oil. Heat the pan before adding the oil. In either case, make sure that the oil is near to the smoking point. Add the patties so that it does not cool the oil much between each addition. The oil should be half way up on the patties. Fry until you can turn them without removing a layer of the patty off (which means you will be able to get them turned once they are golden brown and not before.) Fry the other side the same way. Serve hot. I like to melt butter on them.

Kathleen, is there any reason why I couldn't use yellow cornmeal? I receive a 5# bag occasionally in my Commodities (I'm still working on the bag I received last year). It makes delicious grits.:chef:

Zhizara, I don't see why not. I've never made them with yellow, but cannot see why they would not be similar. Let me know how it works....the worst that could happen is that you lose a cup of cornmeal.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kathleen, I will definitely try it and let you know how it comes out.

I'd really like to finish off this batch of cornmeal before I get another 5# bag! I usually just take anything I can't use or don't have room for and leave it downstairs in the common with "Help Yourself" written on the box. This time I still had quite a bit left since they had also given me farina so I was making cream of wheat instead of grits.LOL

i made turkey meatballs and campanelle.

img_961062_0_d0d22bbcda5eb8800331cfa96d335be9.jpg

Good looking, and sounding food tonight. :)

I threw this together for a one pan meal, and it turned out to be a keeper.
Made some meatballs and browned them. Put them aside, and sauted some sliced Crimini mushrooms. Added one cup or Orzo pasta, an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, a 14oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 cups of water. I added the partly cooked meatballs back to the pan and simmered covered for 15 minutes, removed the cover to simmer another 5 minutes.
Dang fine meal with a green salad.
img_961062_1_8772ebb9834b864885bd94d21573c08b.jpg
WOW!! These look fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom