What's cooking Wednesday, September 9, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
still no clue. it's my younger daughters first day of school. so she is off and now it is time to have a cup of coffee and figure out whats for dinner/supper.

whats cooking at your house?

img_849680_0_60b59d53e759fee1e0c89b03f3c371bf.jpg

I'm thinking Mexican Lasagne tonight with homemade refried beans... good leftover generator for work lunches and.. I haven't made it in ages!

I use flour or corn tortillas in place of lasagne noodles then I saute an onion, a mix of red and green peppers, a green onion or two and some zucchini. Sometimes I add ground beef cooked with cumin, coriander, cracked peppercorns and epazote, and sometimes I make it all veggie and don't use the beef. I use a can (or 2 cups homemade) of refried beans mixed with some salsa and about 2 cups of grated monterry jack cheese (and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella works well too if you don't have the jack cheese) I make it in a loaf pan so what I do is cut the tortillas to fit the pan (and either compost the waste or save them for tortilla soup) and I have to say you need to either butter or spray the pan with food release as tortillas stick like mad... on the bottom I put a little salsa, then the tortilla, on top of that I put the meat mixed with refried beans or just the refried beans.. and if you're going to mix the meat into the beans make sure you add some salsa into the mix to keep it moist , then veggies, a little more salsa and then cheese and I repeat that sequence(including the salsa) until the pan is full. I cover it, bake it at 350F until it's bubbing and the cheese is melted.

Last edited:
I use flour or corn tortillas in place of lasagne noodles then I saute an onion, a mix of red and green peppers, a green onion or two and some zucchini. Sometimes I add ground beef cooked with cumin, coriander, cracked peppercorns and epazote, and sometimes I make it all veggie and don't use the beef. I use a can (or 2 cups homemade) of refried beans mixed with some salsa and about 2 cups of grated monterry jack cheese (and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella works well too if you don't have the jack cheese) I make it in a loaf pan so what I do is cut the tortillas to fit the pan (and either compost the waste or save them for tortilla soup) and I have to say you need to either butter or spray the pan with food release as tortillas stick like mad... on the bottom I put a little salsa, then the tortilla, on top of that I put the meat mixed with refried beans or just the refried beans.. and if you're going to mix the meat into the beans make sure you add some salsa into the mix to keep it moist , then veggies, a little more salsa and then cheese and I repeat that sequence(including the salsa) until the pan is full. I cover it, bake it at 350F until it's bubbing and the cheese is melted.
sounds interesting. sounds a bit like a mexican pizza with many layers.

not sure. either beef stroganoff or something with chicken. either way I need to get on it and get something out of the freezer to thaw!

sounds interesting. sounds a bit like a Mexican pizza with many layers.

Yes it does. Sounds good though. Does it nuke well the next day?
I have a RR recipe for Mexican Pizza, kinda, that I use. Really quite tasty. Got it long before her "hit it big".

I have a RR recipe for Mexican Pizza, kinda, that I use. Really quite tasty. Got it long before her "hit it big".
sounds great!! it probably would nuke but would start out soggy than when the moisture evaped from the tortillas after the nuke it would get hard. probably would be better to heat a pan and spray with oil. put the lasagna in, spritz with water (just to get it a bit steamy and heat through to middle of a dense piece of food) and cover for a few minutes just till warm.

i think dinner will be shell steak, veggies and rice.

maybe

I have some kielbasa and some red and green bells. I think I'll make sandwiches out of them. Don't know what to go with though.

I have some kielbasa and some red and green bells. I think I'll make sandwiches out of them. Don't know what to go with though.
oh yummy!! you know what just popped into my head? kielbasa, peppers, onions and potatoes fried. add scrambled eggs and cook. lightly butter a long roll (toast if you like i like mine untoasted) add scramble. man those are yummy!! mom made them with italian sausage more often than kielbasa. she liked to fry the kielbasa and dip in fried eggs yolks better.

kielbasa, peppers, onions and potatoes fried. add scrambled eggs and cook
Take out the peppers and that was dinner last night, more as a frittata though.

Tonight is something with a nice strip steak and mushrooms... also thinking steak sandwich!

I'm thinking Mexican Lasagne tonight with homemade refried beans... good leftover generator for work lunches and.. I haven't made it in ages!

I make a recipe called, taco lasagna, that sounds very similiar to your dish. It is one of my mainstay meals, very filling and tasty. Taco lasagna is the reason I can chili sauce, to use as an ingredient for this recipe.

Tonight it will be some combination of red potatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers, green beans and the last of the hot dogs.

I make a recipe called, taco lasagna, that sounds very similiar to your dish. It is one of my mainstay meals, very filling and tasty. Taco lasagna is the reason I can chili sauce, to use as an ingredient for this recipe.

Tonight it will be some combination of red potatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers, green beans and the last of the hot dogs.
italian hot dogs!!

italian hot dogs!!

that sounds a LOT better than what I was thinking of making;)...i'm rethinking my plan..

have started to dig my potatoes, a little at a time:cool:, yesterday I dug a few reds, the biggest taters from each plant are weighing in at 20 ounces:blink:, so whatever I do for tonight, will be heavy on the potato

We're going to marinate some steaks and then grill them. I'll make salt-crusted baked potatoes and a nice big green salad to go with. Probably some sort of homemade frozen yogurt for dessert...peach or chocolate.

It nukes fairly well... I don't mind the tortillas being a little soft.. it's alot like nuking an enchilada.

that sounds a LOT better than what I was thinking of making;)...i'm rethinking my plan..

have started to dig my potatoes, a little at a time:cool:, yesterday I dug a few reds, the biggest taters from each plant are weighing in at 20 ounces:blink:, so whatever I do for tonight, will be heavy on the potato
saute all the veggies (cut long and narrow so they will be more "roll" friendly LOL) in olive oil. fry the dogs in a pan by just rolling them, don't grill frying has the proper taste. place 1 or 2 dogs on an italian long roll or a long loaf of bread cut down. top with the veggies (you can also add some tomato sauce if you want, i do). yummy!! potatoes in the sammies. you can fry some french fries/wedges for the side or i would make some homemade potato chips (so good and quick to make). sprinkle chips or fries with fine salt (diamond crystal or popcorn salt) and a splash of malt vinegar. man i want THAT dinner!! do you deliver?

Time to whip out the old cast iron skillet and make a batch of home fries and a ham steak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom