What's for breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mmmm, that sounds good!
Can you give me a step by step? I would love to try this on some English muffins.
Steamed the asparagus,
sauteed the mushrooms,
diced up the canadian bacon
then made the cheese sauce from a roux, milk and shredded extra sharp cheese,
then I mixed it all together and poured it into the puff pastries.
dh is not a big fan of eggs but I think you could have a scrambled egg (or over easy) on the pastry too, then sauce on top.
yum.

Thanks! The cheese sauce recipe really helped.
So I make a butter and flour roux, add some milk and some cheddar cheese.
I'm putting Canadian bacon on my shopping list for tomorrow.

Thanks! The cheese sauce recipe really helped.
So I make a butter and flour roux, add some milk and some cheddar cheese.
I'm putting Canadian bacon on my shopping list for tomorrow.

It has always struck me as hilarious that Americans refer to it as Canadian Bacon and here in Canada we just call it back bacon.:LOL: I guess it is like how North Americans call them French Fries, the British call them Chips and the French call them Pommes Frites (literally it could be taken as fried apples, but Pommes de terre Frites is just too long and cumbersome).

Also, a funny on cheese sauce. When I was young one of my favourite Aunts had the entire family over for a thanksgiving dinner. She was not known for her cooking but this meal was absolutely fabulous and she took all the cudos very graciously. One of the hits was corn in cheese sauce. She said she made it up herself from fresh corn on the cob and her own secret cheese sauce. The "secret" as my sister found out was that the corn (and the rest of the meal were catered and the "cheese sauce" was added by my Aunt.....from a package! Every time I make it from scratch, I think of my dear Aunt Jean!

Anyway, Corazon, your breakie sounds delicious!

I was going to say back bacon, so our Canadian readers would not have to translate in their mind, but I generally don't adopt another country's dialect, even one so close... eh?
:LOL:

It has always struck me as hilarious that Americans refer to it as Canadian Bacon and here in Canada we just call it back bacon.:LOL: I guess it is like how North Americans call them French Fries, the British call them Chips and the French call them Pommes Frites (literally it could be taken as fried apples, but Pommes de terre Frites is just too long and cumbersome).!
Here we call Fries the skinny chips like Maccas sell, and chips are the sort you get from a fish and chip store, ie thick but not as thick as a wedge. Chips here are also the packaged potato crisps. I think the only reason we call any chips "fries" is the imported fast food chains. The local chook stores like Chicken Treat, Red Rooster and Chooks call them chips too.

Don't get me started on the bacon....;)

Oops, I didn't meant to start something here!:ROFLMAO: Corazon, you have me curious about Canadian and back bacon. I was brought up to think of them as the same thing. I will research this!

Oops, I didn't meant to start something here!:ROFLMAO: Corazon, you have me curious about Canadian and back bacon. I was brought up to think of them as the same thing. I will research this!
Not at all LP. I'm curious too.
I think the difference between the American version of Canadian bacon is they cut off all the fat. It's just a circular piece of pork (first photo) and and back bacon has the fat included and is a strip shape (second photo). Either way, you're right that it is basically the same cut.
P201-200-1.jpg

lane-farm-bacon.jpg

I think the difference between the American version of Canadian bacon is they cut off all the fat. It's just a circular piece of pork (first photo) and and back bacon has the fat included and is a strip shape (second photo). Either way, you're right that it is basically the same cut.
P201-200-1.jpg

lane-farm-bacon.jpg
That's strange because your first photo IS what we call back bacon. You can get it plain, or rolled in cornmeal, but either way it is called back bacon. The second picture to me looks like a very meaty side bacon. But I am REALLY curious now so I am going to email my neice's husband who is a butcher.

from the photos, it looks like the first picture is the trimmed whole muscle, where the scond picture is a cross section or slice before trimming off the fat, skin, and side meat.

brekkie today was canteloupe with my birds, then korean rice and ginger cookies, pickled garlic and daikon, and ginger ale at work.

P201-200-1.jpg

lane-farm-bacon.jpg
I don't recall seeing the bacon in the first photo in Australia, although it maybe available in the gourmet delis. Rashers as per second photo are the norm, either streaky or as per the pic. Sometimes you can get lean rashers which just have the rind and fat removed.

Making crepes today. Dh will have them with strawberries and bananas, I will have mine with warm raspberries. Whipped cream all over everything. Yum!!!

That sounds heavenly!

After my coffee earlier I had a bowl of steel cut oats with fresh blueberries.

Scrambled eggs with Red Bliss home fries, seasoned with tomato powder, dried shallots, onion powder, salt and pepper.

Found this on wikipedia
"In the United States ordinary bacon is only made from the pork belly, yielding what is known in Britain as "streaky bacon", or "streaky rashers". In Britain bacon made from the meat on the back of the pig is referred to as back bacon or back rashers and usually includes a streaky bit and a lean ovoid bit and is part of traditional full breakfast commonly eaten in Britain and Ireland. In the United States, back bacon is called Canadian-style bacon or Canadian bacon but refers usually to the lean ovoid bit."
This is what I've figured from it all-
American bacon = streaky bacon = cut from the belly
British, Irish and Canadian bacon = back bacon = cut from the loin or back
American "Canadian bacon" = the lean part of back bacon (no streaks)
(this here is American streaky bacon)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom