What's for chow on Tuesday, 8/16/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mahalo, thanks Cheryl!
DH does not like Mac&Cheese, but I LOVE it!
I may need to make up a batch with some smoked Gouda and send some up in the dumb waiter to Mr&Mrs Landlord to share... :cool:

Oh, they will love you even more than they do now. :LOL: Just be careful and only add maybe a quarter to a third of smoked gouda. Some is good, but too much is not. :ermm::LOL:
And the dumb waiter....how fun, I haven't heard of those for years. Pretty nice and convenient feature!

We had nachos tonight. I thawed some Mexican pulled chicken, layered it over tortilla chips and topped it with a mix of extra sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, microwaved it, then added shredded romaine, diced garden tomatoes, minced pickled onions, minced cilantro and a bit of sour cream. :yum:

Oops! Picture:

Attachments

• 1471408335056.jpg
    1471408335056.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 91
Oh, they will love you even more than they do now. :LOL: Just be careful and only add maybe a quarter to a third of smoked gouda. Some is good, but too much is not. :ermm::LOL:
And the dumb waiter....how fun, I haven't heard of those for years. Pretty nice and convenient feature!

Slow Cooker Basil Chicken And Coconut Curry – 12 Tomatoes

I put this dish in the slow cooker this morning and sent it upstairs this afternoon for Mr&Mrs Landlord's late supper, poor lambs... they work a 12 hour day on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I try my best to make extra on those days to put in the dumb waiter. I kept a serving for myself for tomorrow, DH did not like this dish, geez, what a surprise! "I don't like it, it's too creamy"... please insert 10 year old whiny little boy's voice here for full effect, HA! :LOL:

We had burgers, it was mince day and they had a special on bread, pepper jack ( rare as hen teeth here) and bacon so I thought why not.

Just thinking chili's of any kind, I don't like the harsh seeds, veins or skins with any of them, as I think they ruin the true clean taste of the pepper.

The frozen Hatch Chili's from Trader Joe's were so full of seeds they were so bitter, hot and unusable, and I threw them out.

The fresh are so worth attention to detail.

...and now I am head-to-head with Romano's Macaroni Grill!...
...This night my Chicken Marsala was almost as good as Romano's and next time it will be equally good or better...
Romano's? Really? THAT'S the bar you have set for yourself? :huh: Unless you have much better Romano's than those I've been subjected to. Two in the Greater Cleveland area, and one somewhere on the road while traveling, and not one above average, IMO. I bet your chicken Marsala was better than any at one of those we've eaten at.

Great looking dinners, s&p and GG. A lot of yummy sounding meals here, too. We had spinach salads (yes, there is spinach under all of the other stuff) and naan pizzas. Himself's was a more traditional pepperoni, red onion, prosciutto, and mushroom on red sauce kind, mine was prosciutto, fig, and goat cheese on a bed of ricotta. Had to use Fontina to top his since I no longer had that 1/2 pound chunk of mozzarella I thought I had in the freezer. Oops. ~ We each have half a pizza leftover. Along with the couple other leftovers in the fridge, except for a salad, tomorrow's supper is done! Yay!

Attachments

• 2016-08-16 21.23.00.jpg
    2016-08-16 21.23.00.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2016-08-16 21.29.03.jpg
    2016-08-16 21.29.03.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 110
Porchetta sammies with caramelized onions and gruyere, with HOMEMADE potato chips. Tried a new method. First soak in ice water while they were being cut, thinnest on the little handheld adjustable mandoline, 0.3. Drained and rinsed a couple of times. Then, a HOT water soak with 3 tblsp of salt for a little over 30 minutes. Took a handful of slices out for each batch, rinsed again, drained in a wire mesh colander, then onto paper towels to get patted dry. Fried in 350ish oil until golden brown. OMG they were so good. Craig kept coming to steal some, getting a bowl the last couple of times. I finally told him NO and to go away because I wanted some to actually have with the sammies. There are leftover sammies, but no potato chips. :mad: They have all mysteriously disappeared!

37240-albums1042-picture6626.jpg

Last night the last thing I ate was a bowl full of chopped tomatoes, romas, san marzanos, and redortas. I lightly salted them, then spread them with a small amount of mayo (which mixed with the tomato juices), then sprinkled it with freshly made bacon in small pieces. It was heavenly.

Thanks for the info on Hatch chilis everybody. :) As for Walmart I'll look but I bet it's an Arizona thing, but I'll check my local. We do have a Sprouts that locals have recommended too. It would be heaven to find 'em roasted and frozen. They are the starting point for so many New Mexican dishes. I really miss my summer I lived in Santa Fe but unfortunately it's a 2 day drive each way.

And thanks also for the Chicken Marsala comments. I expect our Romano's is better than yours, I've had uniformly good food there, particularly their lamb shanks served of course with Crimeni mushrooms. That's when I said, "I gotta get me some!"

I think my next Chicken Marsala I'll bypass the cream and serve a thinner sauce, or as I said use a bit of cornstarch if it absolutely needs thickening.

I realized only a couple days ago that "baby bella" is synonymous with Cremini. I have no doubt they taste better in cooking, although served raw like in salads I'll continue to prefer the white button mushrooms which I've found are more tender, but less tasty.

I like to snack on raw vegetables while cooking dinner: green onions, radishes, mushrooms. I use a dip of either salad dressing, sour cream with onion soup mix, or Greek yogurt (Fage) with onion soup mix lately since I'm on a diet. One day I compared white button and baby bella and discovered the baby bella were tougher. But I have no doubt they cook up more tasty!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom