"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What's for chow on Tuesday, 8/16/2016?

Chicken Marsala and white rice!

I mixed some flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and threw in a few pieces of skinless, boneless chicken thights. Saute in a bit of EVOO then added a generous portion of Crimeni (baby bella) mushrooms, and of course it ain't Chicken Marsala without Marsala so I added some sweet Marsala and covered to simmer on low heat. (Check regularly and add more wine if it starts getting low. Chicken should be about half submerged.)

When the time is right I transfer the chicken to a warm dish and keep it warm in the oven, turn up the heat on the pan then add enough cream to taste, constantly stirring to a syrupy thickness adding cream as necessary. Add more salt or pepper to taste. Then pour sauce and mushrooms over the chicken and slop a bit on the rice!

One day I'll serve this over thin spaghetti but I use the same pan for both purposes. I need two pans!

Bon apetit! :)

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I spent part of today with my recently widowed sister and she prepared a special Armenian dish made with raw beef and bulgar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iğ_kfte

That and a tossed salad followed by strawberry shortcake and coffee made a fantastic dinner for the two of us.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

Baked Walleye . etc.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

I love chicken marsala Craig, and I haven't made it in a while. I like to finish mine with a bit of fresh lemon.
Sorry to hear your sister lost her husband Andy...a nice one on one visit I'm sure she needed.

SC found some fresh Hatch Chili's at the store today and I roasted, skinned and cleaned them of seeds. I know better, but I didn't wear gloves and my hands are paying for it. Aloe with lidocaine is helping some. Groan.
Anyway, I made my chili relleno casserole but who knows if it will be too hot to eat. Double groan.
SC made some nice glorified salads, so we'll have that if nothing else.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

Chicken Marsala sounds good, Greg.

Joey...your dinner looks delicious!

Kay...I haven't made chiles rellenos casserole in way too long. I hope yours doesn't turn out too hot with those chiles.

I'm sorry about the loss of your sister's husband, Andy.

I had leftover baked macaroni and cheese from yesterday, and a small salad. Gosh...smoked gouda sure does wonders for a mac and cheese dish.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Cheryl.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's for chow on Tuesday, 8/16/2016?

Sorry about the loss of your BIL, Andy.

S&P, I really need to get me some walleye!

We're just grazing. I have this tendency for collecting leftovers.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Dawg.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I love chicken marsala Craig, and I haven't made it in a while. I like to finish mine with a bit of fresh lemon.
Sorry to hear your sister lost her husband Andy...a nice one on one visit I'm sure she needed.

SC found some fresh Hatch Chili's at the store today and I roasted, skinned and cleaned them of seeds. I know better, but I didn't wear gloves and my hands are paying for it. Aloe with lidocaine is helping some. Groan.
Anyway, I made my chili relleno casserole but who knows if it will be too hot to eat. Double groan.
SC made some nice glorified salads, so we'll have that if nothing else.
We all know that quality control is everything, and it sure paid off in this case. The fresh Hatch Chili's I produced for my casserole had no seeds, veins or skins and were the best and most flavorful chili's I've ever used!
The casserole was the best ever, and not too hot with unbelievable flavor.
I'm sending the SC back to the store for more...and buying surgical gloves this time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Greg, I've never served Chicken Marsala with rice, it's been over pasta or polenta, I'll give that a whirl. Also, I've always used Dry Marsala rather than Sweet...

K, you didn't go for the medium Hatch Chiles? Hot is too hot for us!

And Andy, please pass along my condolences to your sister as well.

S&P, ya know I've never had Walleye...

Cheryl, I'll have to try smoked Gouda in my next batch of Mac&Cheese, I love smoked Gouda!

We went to Taco Tuesday with Mr & Mrs DF's again ...