What's for din-din tonite - Monday, Sept.16, 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
sorry forgot the date! my bad - Mon. Sept. 16
I had taken out some salmon from the freezer on Fri or Sat. So although my back still is grumbling I can at least walk... a bit. So that Salmon was calling.

This recipe caught my eye. Blog of nospoonnecessary.

Again didn't change a thing, other than not running it under the broiler at the end. (my back told me if I bend over one more time! I'll have to call an ambulance).

Basil butter salmon - what could be better/

Last edited:
and I forgot not only the date but the picture!

Camera makes it look a little washed out, but honestly it wasn't!

Attachments

• 20190916_135040.jpg
    20190916_135040.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 181
Is this the dinner thread?

I made duck breast with a port wine and cherry gastrigue. Pureed parsnips and a salad.
For years I have been trying to get a good picture of this dish when I make It, but it never looks as good as real. I think it might be that the sauce is so dark, or maybe I should take a pic before I sauce it so much.

Attachments

• 20190916_194507.jpg
    20190916_194507.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 150
I know it's just another humdrum Monday, but after visiting my orthopedic surgeon today to get my name on his list to have my other hip replaced (to be next year sometime). The right one needs doing, I had the left one done 3 years ago - both were in advanced poor condition from osteo-arthritis.

Anyway, to lighten things up, I decided to create a new recipe based on an incredible dish I had years ago @ Giuseppe's & Momma Rosa's Italian restaurant here in Vancouver (old friends who cooked the most superb Italian dishes you can imagine in their restaurant called 'Paesano's')

I've called it:

'Italian sausage and Angel Hair Meatballs with white wine based rose tomato sauce'.
The meatballs will be as tender, moist , tasty, and light as I can make them, and I hope the rose sauce will prove to be a winner with it.

I'm cooking this dish tonite, and will post a pic when done. Then I'll enjoy it - hopefully - and give you my thoughts about it tomorrow.
If I like it and anyone wants me to post the recipe, I certainly will.

Guieseppe (Joe to me) and his mother Momma Rosa, were the inspiration for a number of Italian dish recipes I make regularly, including the Cannelloni which I've already posted, my lasagna, veal milanaise, and Osso Bucco.

BTW, the Osso Bucco (braised veal shank for those of you who don't know) is, IMO, spectacular, and I'll be happy to post the recipe if you want it.

Talk to you later with pics of the meatball & rose sauce dish.

BTW, I suggest this dish be served with al dente angel hair pasta, but I' cutting down on carbs, so I' having it simply with a single slice of fresh French bread baguette. Linda just wants salad & steamed green beans with butter.

Last edited:
I fixed a scalloped potato, ham, and green chile casserole. To cool off our mouths, I also made a garden fresh cucumber, onion, and sour cream salad.

Last edited:
Here's the dish - meatballs made with pork Italian sausage and angel hair pasta, served up in a somewhat light white wine based rose sauce:

Couldn't wait to tell you - the meatballs absolutely wowed me - they actually turned out to be the juiciest, most tender, moist and tasty meatballs I can ever remember having !!

Really - this is a real keeper for me, and the rose sauce imo was also outstanding - being super complimentary to the meatballs - wouldn't hesitate to serve this dish with pride to anyone, anytime - can't say enough about it.
One of the few of my cooking experiments that turned out to be quite magnificent, if I do say so myself.

Must have been a good day for my sign - Libra.

Be pleased to post the recipe soon.

Even though I had it sans accompanying al dente angel hair pasta, I sopped up a lot of the sauce with 3, not just one, slice of sour dough french baguette bread . My bad - didn't keep the carbs low enough today.

Today we had a break from the heat with temps in the very pleasant mid 70's and I had both doors open for a lovely cross breeze. That's close enough to soup weather for me, so it was my favorite Zuppa Tuscano soup made with Cannellini beans rather than potato. I made plenty to freeze for another meal, as I do not like frozen potato chunks.
Herb and Parm. biscuits were on the side. Yumm.

Attachments

• P9160002[1].jpg
    P9160002[1].jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 172
Slaved over a hot stove all afternoon to make a big pot of Sunday ragu with meatballs and sausages. Most goes into the freezer with enough held out for tonight’s dinner with pasta.

The Browns played football tonight, so our supper was an homage to pacanis and his awesome PPPC efforts. We enjoyed a New York deli style meal: pastrami Reubens on my homemade rye bread, potato salad with lots of mustard and dill, and...corn? It's the tail end of corn season and we still haven't had our fill. :yum: And a dill pickle each from our quickly diminishing supply.

IMG_20190916_213900156.jpg

Last edited:
The Elders had salmon with peas and homemade apple crisp and ice cream. The apple crisp was made by one of my Mom's caregivers who is now loving her new job as a full-time registered nurse. It was so nice to visit with her! And so thoughtful of her to bring the apple crisp.

Be pleased to post the recipe soon.

I love meatballs. I look forward to seeing the recipe.

Even though I had it sans accompanying al dente angel hair pasta, I sopped up a lot of the sauce with 3, not just one, slice of sour dough french baguette bread . My bad - didn't keep the carbs low enough today.

You might as well have had some angel hair and less bread - equal carbs and more satisfying ;)

I love meatballs. I look forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll post it soon - I repeat, I thought these meatballs were nothing short of excellent !

You might as well have had some angel hair and less bread - equal carbs and more satisfying ;)

You're right of course - but I love French baguette - especially when it's sourdough, so I couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom