What's for dinner 10/28/13?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to beat a lovely tagine Harry - and that looked spectacular!
thanks katy...i think laila would approve too:)!!glad to hear from you,safe & sound i trust.sounds like hants took another beating in the storms today.nothing more than a strong breeze & heavy rain ooop noath...our turn next i guess:rolleyes:!!

thanks katy...i think laila would approve too:)!!glad to hear from you,safe & sound i trust.sounds like hants took another beating in the storms today.nothing more than a strong breeze & heavy rain ooop noath...our turn next i guess:rolleyes:!!

You're welcome!

And as for the storm - what a damp squib! (No issues in my area at all.)

It looks like cayenne to me. I have some in the garden right now.
That's what I was thinking, too. I grow them every couple years and dry/grind them to make homemade cayenne pepper. I don't think I've ever eaten one fresh, although I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

Tonight I have band rehearsal so it will be an early dinner. I might whip up a quick batch of tomato soup, since I have all the ingredients on hand and don't feel much like running out to pick up something else.

Odd things you've said suggest that you or your family may have originated up here. Or am I mistaken?

Nope! I was born in London and parents were both Irish. Ancestors all Irish and Scottish also. (I do have some distant relatives in and around Manchester, but I've never met them.)

gather round fellow gastronauts,this is how the tale unfolds:ermm:.i was seeking inspiration for tonights repast & stumbled upon a jar of preserved lemons that i had made last spring & forgotten about,ah hah,thought i,for i also remembered a long forgotten stewing pack of cheap cuts of lamb languishing in the dingy depths of my freezer,next to mr yamamoto...you remember mr y...the japanese soldier who didn't know the war had ended?..no?...anyway the thought of said two foodstuffs transported me to the exotic warmth of morocco & the equally exotic warmth of laila who i met under a star filled sky in the night market of marrakech.laila taught me a few things,steady in the ranks:rolleyes:,including tagine cookery.so laila if you are reading this,in the words of rod stewart "think of me & try not to laugh" harry & laila's ras el hanout lamb tagine with jewelled giant saffron cous cous
in the recent move I discovered an unopened bag of giant couscous bought in Safeway in Amman, Jordan in 1992. I really think I should throw it away now......

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, too. I grow them every couple years and dry/grind them to make homemade cayenne pepper. I don't think I've ever eaten one fresh, although I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
I use the cayenne peppers that grow in the garden fresh. I also pull the plants and hang them to dry so I can grind them as needed.

It's a tuna casserole kind of night.

Scratch that, it's a chicken casserole kind of night.

Last edited:
I have leftover chicken from yesterday and a LOT of leftover veggies from the weekend, so I made pasta Primavera with chicken and lots of Parmesan cheese. Yum.

My chili turned into more of an Autumn Stew. I had some left over corn on the cob and a package of cubed butternut squash that I lost in the back of the fridge. I added that in with the meat and beans and viola.. Autumn Stew.

DH did the cooking tonight....well actually he prepared it for last night in anticipation of DD's and my arrival home from Las Vegas. I was thankful I didn't have to cook when we arrived home(an hour later than planned) we had the leftovers tonight.
He made baked cheese tortellini with a red meat sauce. He didn't say last night what the meat was......DD would have flipped out (she is not a big meat eater anyway). Tonight he asked me what I thought of his efforts and then admitted he used ground venison in the sauce. :/. It was okay, but could have used some more seasoning and maybe some Italian sausage mixed with it(venison is so lean)

gather round fellow gastronauts,this is how the tale unfolds:ermm:.i was seeking inspiration for tonights repast & stumbled upon a jar of preserved lemons that i had made last spring & forgotten about,ah hah,thought i,for i also remembered a long forgotten stewing pack of cheap cuts of lamb languishing in the dingy depths of my freezer,next to mr yamamoto...you remember mr y...the japanese soldier who didn't know the war had ended?..no?...anyway the thought of said two foodstuffs transported me to the exotic warmth of morocco & the equally exotic warmth of laila who i met under a star filled sky in the night market of marrakech.laila taught me a few things,steady in the ranks:rolleyes:,including tagine cookery.so laila if you are reading this,in the words of rod stewart "think of me & try not to laugh" harry & laila's ras el hanout lamb tagine with jewelled giant saffron cous cous

Harry, I am not a fan of lamb, but that dish has me salivating! Yum, yum, yum! It's absolutely fabulous looking, I bet it tastes fantastic! I really appreciate your artful display of ingredients all ending in a crescendo of loveliness on a plate!

We had a boring but completely delicious dinner. Grilled striploin steaks with sauteed mushrooms, spinach salad and multicoloured rice. I made homemade sesame sauce to go with the steaks. I swear I could drink that stuff its so good. I might have had one too many glasses of wine. Oops.

We had a boring but completely delicious dinner. Grilled striploin steaks with sauteed mushrooms, spinach salad and multicoloured rice. I made homemade sesame sauce to go with the steaks. I swear I could drink that stuff its so good. I might have had one too many glasses of wine. Oops.

It's not boring if it tastes delicious.

That looks so good. I need to learn to make that. Internet study here I come.

Back
Top Bottom