"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What's for dinner 10/28/13?

I think I'm going to go to the store, get some mushrooms and some Swiss, and turn some brisket into a big cheesesteak sub tonight. Maybe a little beans on the side.

Anyone else know what they are having or that has eaten dinner tonight yet?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Yeah, I'll be making a meatloaf tonight with baked potatoes and a veggie.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since it doesn't look like I'm going to be waylaid by a handsome man on a motorcycle again today, we'll probably have the soup we were supposed to have had yesterday. Still lots of homemade French bread left as well. I discovered some zucchini bread so we'll have that for dessert. We won't need too much since the soup is pretty filling.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Head Chef

No leftovers from yesterday's meal as it was an unqualified disaster, so it was a baked potato with tuna and sweetcorn mayo for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Its Monday, so red beans and rice.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I think a pot of chili will be happening at our house. I have some chorizo and some left over pot roast that need to be used up.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The clocks went back yesterday so it's pitch black outside despite only being 5.45pm. It's rained all day and boy, has it rained! And for some reason it's colder indoors than out. The central heating may have to go on later.

OK, so it's comfort food for dinner, tea, supper* or whatever you like to call it. I have sweet potatoes, ordinary potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, onions,
mushrooms, and a celeriac that needs using up. Thinks : soup or veg curry?

The latter, I think. I've a tin of black-eyed beans to provide protein, a tin of coconut milk and/or may add a few hard-boiled eggs. Will make plenty then I can have some left for tomorrow.

*Oop north, traditionally, dinner is eaten at midday, tea (unless preceded by "afternoon" which makes it posh and an excuse to over-indulge in cake) is a substantial meal eaten in the early evening and supper is the biscuit you have at bedtime with your cocoa. Even if your midday meal is a packed lunch (a "piece" or "snap" or "packing up" or a sandwich) it's still called dinner.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

I call it "tea" down here too!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

It's supposed to be potato and leek soup. Potato and leek soup was supposed to happen on Saturday, but my knives and my fingers refused to play nice so the soup was supposed to be made on Sunday. But yesterday came and I wanted breakfast for supper. Since I do the cooking I (usually) get what I want for supper. Sooooo, potato and leek soup tonight - unless we stop at a restaurant for supper on our way home from dropping my car off for its pre-vacation check-up.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It's supposed to be potato and leek soup. Potato and leek soup was supposed to happen on Saturday, but my knives and my fingers refused to play nice so the soup was supposed to be made on Sunday. But yesterday came and I wanted breakfast for supper. Since I do the cooking I (usually) get what I want for supper. Sooooo, potato and leek soup tonight - unless we stop at a restaurant for supper on our way home from dropping my car off for its pre-vacation check-up.
CG, has it crossed your mind that the potato and leek soup just isn't meant to be?

Tags
dinner