What's for Dinner 13 November, Thursday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to make calzones... dough is rising now.
It was going to be spaghetti, but we just had chili 2 nights in a row...
That's enough tomato sauce for me for a day or 2!
:)

Landed up with fish & chips as I went out to sort out a friends computer. Upset DW as I was late back and she had a skating lesson.

not sure .. have a pork tenderloin out .. but i do not feel much like grilling ..
but that might change ..
if not .. spagettiiii (however you spell it )
or some burgers ..

So what does a poor student cook on a Thursday evening?

Chicken and Vegetable Pie and Steakhouse Chips maybe with
some coleslaw....

all premade only bang it in the oven...I love cooking but since arriving in the UK besides all other costs...buying fresh food to cook is just soooo expensive.

Any other poor students here? How do you get your fresh produce and that at an affordable price?

What are you eating tonight?

Browned up some boneless country-style pork ribs and added them to the crock-pot, along with a mess 'o onions and garlic. Poured some bottled barbecue sauce over and let 'er rip. The house smells great.

Had a container of 5-bean baked beans in the freezer and will have those with the ribs. Still have tons of cookies left from election day. Those'll be dessert.

tonight's supper was a let-down. Had great hopes but it was blah.

chicken breasts marinated in garlic-and-balsamic 10-minute marinade by Consorzio. Should have grilled them but I pan-seared them and then let them simmer in their juices for 15-20 min. The meat didn't really pick up the flavor like I expected.

also had mashed potatoes and a green salad. blah. It was nourishing but just tasted ok.

Anyone have any ideas how the chicken could have been better? (besides grilling?)

The bolognese won out! :)

img_724804_0_1d2c57d604139d4474ba63d98c2386d8.jpg
img_724804_1_e9e753b3ae2c68e31cf43b2be1e39122.jpg

tonight's supper was a let-down. Had great hopes but it was blah.

chicken breasts marinated in garlic-and-balsamic 10-minute marinade by Consorzio. Should have grilled them but I pan-seared them and then let them simmer in their juices for 15-20 min. The meat didn't really pick up the flavor like I expected.

also had mashed potatoes and a green salad. blah. It was nourishing but just tasted ok.

Anyone have any ideas how the chicken could have been better? (besides grilling?)
you know .. it might just be me . but i have ruined many a chicken breast that i marinated then put in a pan .. same with steak ..
just does not cook right .. if i cook in a pan its a dry seasoning ..
on the grill .. i can marinade and then wipe the marinade off before grilling .. someone else here probably has a much better answer ..
and ten mins. is not enough time to marinade anything ..
IMHO ..

After we went to see my friend in the hospital up the road, we stopped off and ate at the Bonnie Cafe on the way home.
They have an unbelievable cheeseburger that starts out with a big ball of good meat which is simply pressed out onto a grill with a spatula. It hangs way over the sides of the bun, and is simply dressed with onion, lettuce and tomato, with catsup and mustard sitting on the table. I skip the onion.
I had a hard time finishing the single, but they also have a double and a triple. If you can eat the whole triple, you get a free piece of pie.
There's a college close by, and some of those young jocks can do the job.

I made chicken fried steak (RR recipe) and mashed taters. My CFS still stinks! It was not terrible, but it was not great. One of these days I will be able to pull this dish off.

The country ribs in the crock-pot were very good. Had quite a filling meal.
When I put everything away, I have enough for 5 more meals. I portioned everything out into serving-size dishes to go into the freezer. Otherwise I'd be eating barbecued crock-pot pork ribs for days. They'll be handy in the freezer for sometime later.

It probably is the same. Mine has kielbasa, egg noodles, sometimes chopped cabbage (if I'm out of cabbage I just make do without it), onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter.

Thank you! I don't add kielbasa to mine as I always made it as a Lenten dish. I'll have to try it with sometime sounds good.

Barb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom