What's for dinner? 2-12-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to make fajitas. :yum: When I placed my recent Penzey's order, I decided to try a small jar of their fajita seasoning. It smells really good.

Sliced avocado on the side, if my remaining avocado is still good. :)

What's on everyone's menu for this evening? :chef:

It was going to be pot roast. However, Himself is now in the middle of the cold I had (and still have). So I'll scour the fridge out to see what I can throw together. Maybe use the last of the Broasted chicken for some sort of soup. Then there is Breakfast-for-Supper, always "comfort food".

I have three versions of beef stroganoff to test drive...my plan is to bring the three versions to the commercial kitchen tomorrow and have the others taste them and decide which version they prefer...

I made a Calico Bean casserole today. ( I forgot this makes a lot !) When that came out of the oven to cool down a bit, I baked a pan of corn bread. A small salad with sliced tomato and that is dinner.

A grilled beef hamburger patty sprinkled with lots of shredded sharp cheddar cheese on toasted Italian white bread with sesame seeds, and a side of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for dipping.

...I'll scour the fridge out to see what I can throw together. Maybe use the last of the Broasted chicken for some sort of soup...
I did soup with just one of the leftover breasts, but oh what a soup it was! I wanted something different from any of the basic variations on the theme, so I went on a google hunt. I found this Chickpea and Romaine Soup with Golden Vermicelli and thought I would give it a spin. This one has warming spices like turmeric and cayenne pepper, along with paprika, and uses romaine as the green instead of the current sweetheart kale. We can do only so much kale. It was perfect for two people with colds. Himself raved about it and said I can make it again. I'll have to make it again...there is only one small bowl left from the vat-worth that I made! :yum:

I'm going to make fajitas. :yum: When I placed my recent Penzey's order, I decided to try a small jar of their fajita seasoning. It smells really good.

Sliced avocado on the side, if my remaining avocado is still good. :)

Yum...:)
027.jpg This was before I wrapped everything up.

Last edited:
I had some 80/20 hamburger I bought yesterday. I took out my tortilla press and wax paper and pressed out a couple of thin patties to pan fry. I then used the tortilla press and wax paper to make about 7 or 8 more thin hamburger patties with the remaining freshly ground beef. The patties are in the fridge now freezing up. I'll vacuum seal them in a qt bag.

Oven baked Ore-Ida fries make up the side dish. The burgers fry up fast and I just add some cheese, minced onion, mustard and ketchup and dill hamburger pickle chips onto a small Wimpy type 1940's lightly toasted sesame seed hamburger bun. This dinner sort of cooks up like a McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese, and fries.

Last edited:
Today I am going to cook a Pakistani dish "Black Pepper Chicken Karahi". I have cooked it before and have uploaded pictures and recipe on my website Black Pepper (Kali Mirach) Chicken Karahi | Cook and Talk

Hi Maryam,

That looks very good! Since "Karahi" is in the title of the dish, does this indicate it should be cooked in a karahi pan, or does the word have another meaning?

Also, when you say "green chillies", are you referring to small spicy chiles, such as jalapeno or serrano, or the larger chiles that we call "bell peppers" in the US?

When I search for Pakistani green chilli on Google, I get photos like the one below. These look like unripe cayenne chiles, same as what I grow in my garden.

chilliLARGE100112-37636948.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Steve
Yes word Karahi is used as it should be cooked in a Karahi pan or wok. What you find in your google search is exactly the type of chillies that I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Those also look like Thai green chilis. Love those things.

maryamn, does your cuisine use Bhut Jolokia (ghost chilis)?

CraigC I am unaware of the names of many Chilli peppers unfortunately but now after joining this forum I think I should better do a research and learn some names. :) I just ask the vegetable shop guy to give me green chillies and he gives me exactly the same as shown in picture above. These chillies are hot so I believe these are unripe cayenne chillies. I'll confirm the name and share once I am sure but I know that the ones I used were neither bell pepper nor jalapeño.

CraigC I am unaware of the names of many Chilli peppers unfortunately but now after joining this forum I think I should better do a research and learn some names. :) I just ask the vegetable shop guy to give me green chillies and he gives me exactly the same as shown in picture above. These chillies are hot so I believe these are unripe cayenne chillies. I'll confirm the name and share once I am sure but I know that the ones I used were neither bell pepper nor jalapeño.

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/chilli_varieties.html

Tonight I'll have Vegetarian Lasagne for dinner

Here is how I make it:

300g chopped vegetables (onions, carrots, leek, mushrooms, red pepper, zucchini)
1 chopped onion
2 Tablespoons of crème fraîche
2 tins of chopped tomato
300g dried egg lasagne sheets
70g-80g grated cheese
1 clove of garlic
Sugar, Salt, Pepper, Oil

Start preparing the tomato sauce by frying the chopped onion in a pan with oil. When they are soft (not brown), add the vegetables with some salt and a teaspoon of sugar, so it has the chance to caramelize on the vegetables. After about 2min, open the tomato tins and add them to the vegetables. If you want, you can rinse out the tin with some water and add it to the sauce. Now put the pealed clove of garlic in, season it with salt and pepper and let it cook for about 10min.
When the sauce is done and its taste gets your approval, spoon about one third of it into an ovenproof dish. Then place a layer of lasagne sheets on top and add another third of the sauce. Repeat again by placing a second layer of lasagne sheets and the last layer of sauce on top. Before finishing it by sprinkling everything with a layer of cheese, put two tablespoons of crème fraîche on top of the tomato sauce.
Place it in the preheated oven on 200°C and bake for about 35min-45min or until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.
Serve with a lovely fresh salad and enjoy! :chef:

http://www.saturdaysdish.tk

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom