"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
Master Chef
Leftovers again. ....which I don't mind.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #32
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's a burger joint.

Lots of pop art on the walls and around the dining room. Noisy but normal for this kind of place.

SO and I shared an order of onion rings.
I had a mushroom cheese burger, garlic fries and a beer
She had a chicken Caprese sandwich, sweet potato fries and a glass of wine.

The check was $46 before tip.

The onion rings and booze were really good.
The fries were mealy and limp
The burger was dry

SO liked her chicken sandwich.

They have a grand total of four deserts on the menu.
I almost choked on hearing the total cost of your tab. OR, burger and fries, chicken sandwich and SP fries, a beer and a glass of wine for $46?

This is one of the major reasons I cook my own food, because I enjoy cooking and because I can't stand outrageous prices dining out. I like restaurants because they allow you to explore new food without needing to become an expert, and then if you like the food you can get on the Internet and figure out how to duplicate the same thing, probably better, and at a lower cost.

I nuked leftovers. It was okay but not great. I'd rather cook and eat freshly prepared food.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #33
Master Chef
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Leftovers again. ....which I don't mind.
We didn't have leftovers again.. just leftover sloppy joes. I served them with chips this time.
A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
Senior Cook
Since it's cold and flurrying, I made chili. Nothing better in this type of weather.
danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #35
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We went yesterday--having read the books, I knew the story. I thought the writer did a great job of pulling the key pieces out of the novel to keep the story moving and to leave the "openings" should the other two books be made into films.
I think the Dragon movie just came out in the U.S. I was given the 3 books for Christmas, but haven't had time to open them yet. I said I would close my eyes during the last 5 minutes of the movie, and "avoid" learning the ending. Heheh. I Honestly thought the book series was like an Ann of Green Gables/ Disneyesque type of series, set in Contemporary Sweden. Boy, was I wrong on this. Now I really want to read the books all the way through. Good movie, not a family film.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #36
Executive Chef
I'm a GWTDT fan. I'm glad I never heard of the movies before I read all three novels in the Millennium trilogy. There's another topic on the forum (starting here and various discussion later in the topic) that goes into it more and I don't feel like typing a lot in the 2nd Jan 2012 what's for dinner topic.

It's surprising that I encounter discussions about GWTDT wherever I go. I'm glad I caught into the enthusiasm even before the second novel was translated into English and published. I read the debut novel and had to wait until publishing caught up before I could read the second and third in the series.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
Executive Chef
We had leftover prime rib, with mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and roasted brussels sprouts. All kinds of chocolate and candy around here, so we don't need actual dessert :)
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
dw made a plain roast chicken, sauteed broccoli, and my son helped out and made garlic bread.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #39
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
It was amazing! I never knew something that isn't meat could taste so, well meaty! I'm currently not a vegetarian, but wanted to try this mince out, and it was delicious. Sauce was just made with some onions, carrot, celery, garlic, tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, a good dash of Worcestershire sauce, and some oregano and marjoram. Was really tasty and will definitely have it again!

kezlehan is offline   Reply With Quote