What's for Dinner 3-12-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I tossed a smallish (2#) piece of pork loin into the slow cooker, along with a bag of sauerkraut, two thinly sliced onions, and a good palm-full of caraway seed. Doused it with a half bottle of Guinness and an equal amount of beef broth. We'll have that over mashed potatoes. Pickled beets on the side, maybe something "green", too.

What good things do you have planned for dinner?

Not sure yet what's for supper. I really don't feel like getting the kitchen dirty today. I have 2 good sized corned beef briskets in the smoker. Tomorrow family is coming by for St. Pats dinner. So I am thinking something small tonight.

Happy Joe's pizza. Delivered, with pepperoni, mushrooms and onions.

Grilled tuna steaks with pineapple salsa, red potatoes, and asparagus. I think the asparagus is going on the grill with the tuna, which will leave my wife with nothing to do while I'm grilling. I guess she will be in charge of wine drinking. I don't expect any complaints.

I just got the over oven microwave installed. We have been building up leftovers, so with the aid of the "nuclear device", we hope to reduce that build up!:ROFLMAO:

Major shopping today. Spent a bit at Costco for meats, coffee and other provisions including a rotisserie chicken. I'll make pilaf and steam some broccoli to accompany the chicken.

This looks really good. Have refries already made, Flour Tortillas, and Spanish rice. I'll make my own enchilada sauce. It will help to clean out the fridge to. Hey, a multipurpose dinner!:LOL:

Enchilada-Style Skillet Pork Chops | Swift Fresh Pork

That does look good, and it gives me an idea. I have some homemade red salsa in the freezer. I could use that in place of the tomato sauce to add more flavor and free up some freezer space. Thanks, Munky! :)

I have the corn beef cooked. But Pirate is very sick and I had a big lunch when I went out with my daughter. So I will save the veggies for tomorrow and heat up the corn beef. :angel:

I made the mistake of trying a recipe against my better judgement (again!)

It called for fast roasting a silverside beef joint (which is traditionally suited to slow braising). This joint is similar to topside which can be fast roasted, i.e. served quite rare (else it would be tough). Needless to say it did not work...too chewy - the fibres not breaking down. So only some of the joint is ruined. The remainder I will duly cook properly (on a low heat) tomorrow.

At least the baby brussel sprouts were really great - perfectly cooked (which requires careful attention since they can easily go slightly mushy) and the half baked potatoes (sliced horizontally and criss crossed to create even cooking).

Last edited:
Kind of a breakfast-for-dinner thing tonight. Eggs and asparagus, with homemade Hollandaise.

img_1458753_0_45dc371851a0714ee49ee7c06b4a9c47.jpg

Steve, that looks fabulous! One of my fave food combinations are eggs and asparagus. :yum:

I'm just now looking through the fridge and freezer for something to throw on a plate - I'm thinking a slice or two of meatloaf, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and roasted asparagus. I bought 2 pounds of beautiful asparagus the other day at .79/lb, so have been nibbling on that a lot. Good thing I love it and don't tire of it easily. :)

I tossed a smallish (2#) piece of pork loin into the slow cooker, along with a bag of sauerkraut, two thinly sliced onions, and a good palm-full of caraway seed. Doused it with a half bottle of Guinness and an equal amount of beef broth. We'll have that over mashed potatoes. Pickled beets on the side, maybe something "green", too.

What good things do you have planned for dinner?

This sounds really good CG!

We grilled burgers and served canned baked beans and potato chips. Dx reminded me this was a standard Saturday night supper when she was growing up. One of the boys would stand on the back steps under the awning while grilling burgers if it was rainy or snowy. Mom did not cook Saturday nights.

I have a pot of Dawg's tomato soup on the stove, and the SC will be having a BLAT sandwich with toasted sourdough, while I'll be having the same without the bread.

Yep, I have to give that recipe a go Munky!

That dinner looks just right Steve.

I have a pot of Dawg's tomato soup on the stove, and the SC will be having a BLAT sandwich with toasted sourdough, while I'll be having the same without the bread.

Yep, I have to give that recipe a go Munky!

That dinner looks just right Steve.
Kayelle surprised me with the BLAT. I usually have a ceremonial BLOAT with the first tomato from our garden.

I think I finally used the last of the recent freezer meatloaf....smothered it with sautéed mushrooms and scallions, with roasted sweet potato 'fries' and asparagus on the side. It was delish, and there's enough left for a mid morning breakfast tomorrow. :yum:

Fudge brownie ice cream comin' up. :)

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom