"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Master Chef

Whats for Dinner 6/7?

We're having......Chicken Piccata, Roasted Aparagus, Buttery Egg Noodles with Parsley, Salt, Pepper and Lemon and thick slices of Italian Bread thats been drizzled with EVOO and then when done..... smeared with garlic and tomato when it comes off the grill then sprinkled with a little salt. I saw the bread thing on Everyday Italian and tried it in the past and I really liked it.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I posted this in the Tuesday 6/6 thread instead of here! This is what we're having tonight.

Risotto with onions, chicken breast, fresh local asparagus and peas (English peas in USA?) Served with a mixed salad.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I posted this in the Tuesday 6/6 thread instead of here! This is what we're having tonight.

Risotto with onions, chicken breast, fresh local asparagus and peas (English peas in USA?) Served with a mixed salad.
I've never tried Risotto and I don't know why. Instead of the buttered noodles I'm going to go buy some of this and give it a try.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Master Chef

Kim's going to cook pork steaks and brats on the Weber tonight. I need to come up with some accoutrements...right now, my mind is a blank.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
It's David's 22nd birthday!! He wanted Kanga burgers for dinner but... Safeway has decided that he should work instead of coming over for a birthday celebration. We'll have to have his party next week some time.

So tonight Paul and I will have fried oysters ( my first attempt) and sauted
tiger prawns. Salad and a veggie too.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

almost the same as Ishbel... brown risotto with onions and beef and peas. fresh roasted asparagus.

It is possible to find brown risotto, (Whole Foods for example) and it cooks very well with deep stocks like beef or lamb. It does take an hour as it is brown short grain rice, but it gets creamy and has a wonderful flavor. except for the time, it cooks just like white risotto.

I will use dry vermouth, beef stock, thyme, caramelized onions, parmesan cheese. And as this is not Milanese, I will use evoo. (I do understand about north Italy and butter.)
Old 06-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

Well my shopping trip was a flop. I wasn't able to find any Risotto and the aspargus look really bad. So along with the Chicken Piccata we'll be having .......Spring Salad Blend w/vinegrette dressing, Creamy Chicken Flavored Egg Noodles, Garlic/Tomato Italian Bread. Our youngest chose a can of fruit cocktail for dessert........ I was opting for angel food cake with a berry topping but I lost out.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

check the Italian foods aisle of your market...Belino, Cento, and several other brands of arborio rice (used for risotto) are often there rather on the rice aisle.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I made stuffed boneless pork chops. The filling was sauteed onion, sweet apple (makintosh), celery, mushrooms, and a crumbled corn muffin, and some cripsy bacon, thyme, sage. Cook the pork chops slightly, then remove them from the oven, add the stuffing and bake a bit more til the stuffing is lightly brown. I made mashed potatoes with that, and some peas. Quick and easy peasy :)
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I made stuffed boneless pork chops. The filling was sauteed onion, sweet apple (makintosh), celery, mushrooms, and a crumbled corn muffin, and some cripsy bacon, thyme, sage. Cook the pork chops slightly, then remove them from the oven, add the stuffing and bake a bit more til the stuffing is lightly brown. I made mashed potatoes with that, and some peas. Quick and easy peasy :)
That pork chop sounds really dam.n good.