What's for dinner? 8-1-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I found a cup of recently leftover refried beans in the freezer, so thought I would warm it, fry up a corn tortilla, and make a tostada for dinner. Finely chopped iceberg, tomato, onion, and cotija cheese will top it off.

What's on your plate? :chef:

DH brought home some of the sweetest locally grown corn we've ever tasted. We had a couple nuked ears for lunch, and will have the rest for dinner.

I've been craving Wisconsin beer cheese soup after perusing my extremely limited cheese drawer, so maybe that too.

I'm marinating some beef cubes in lemon, olive oil, garlic and oregano for grilling tonight. We're planning corn on the cob to go with it.

On a scavenger hunt in the freezer a few days ago, I found a quart deli container labeled "Beef Onion". I now realize it was shredded beef and onions in a very rich, red wine sauce. I'm adding some criminis and maybe some carrots, then serving over mashies, with a side salad.

I'm going to grill up some chicken wings and drumsticks using an El Pollo Loco knock off marinade. They've been marinating about 15 hours now. I pierced the chicken so the marinade seeps in.

We have two quarters of grilled Jamaican Jerk chicken from last night. It was the best I've ever done with this particular brand of seasoning and marinade recipe.
Jamaican Jerk Marinade Recipe | Savory Spice Shop

I think it was Rick who turned me on to this. It's a keeper for sure.

Wish I could dream up something different for low carb sides.

How about creamed spinach, great with steak, chicken or fish.

This recipe has a little kick to it!

Jalapeno Creamed Spinach – Perfectly Low Carb Keto | Fluffy Chix Cook

The creamed spinach casseroles were Italian influenced with portabella mushrooms, and Italian cheeses.
img_1474526_0_309d97fbd7f29f41041759223580b38f.jpg

Kayelle, that is a delicious looking plate of food! :yum: I googled "low carb side dishes"; boy, did a list pop up quick! This Allrecipes link was the first one, and the pictures on the screen looked pretty good to me. Low-Carb Side Dish Recipes - Allrecipes.com

I'm feeling better, but my hippy is still a little dippy. It must be the way I slept, because I get some part out of whack on a regular basis. :wacko: I ran a couple of errands today. Oh boy, didn't want to make supper after that, so we had a quick one. I cut up some of the ham Himself has been eyeing, sliced the rest so he can nibble on it at will, and made a ham and cheese omelet for supper. His side had mild Cheddar cheese, mine had Guggisburg baby swiss. He toasted up a bit of multi-grain ciabatta bread for each of us. Later, we'll have some mixed fruit with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, just for fun.

we've been in Michigan for a couple days for a family wedding, so I was just craving something light and fresh.

I sous vide some U10 shrimp with hot smoked paprika and vanillla bean. Put it on top of shredded romaine, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime juice. For a dressing, I used my homemade version of bang-bang shrimp sauce.

We have two quarters of grilled Jamaican Jerk chicken from last night. It was the best I've ever done with this particular brand of seasoning and marinade recipe.
Jamaican Jerk Marinade Recipe | Savory Spice Shop

I think it was Rick who turned me on to this. It's a keeper for sure.

Wish I could dream up something different for low carb sides.

Cheryl often seems to have a veggie side and a fruit side. A watermelon-feta salad is yummy in the summer.

Tonight I made a big batch of spinach and ricotta-stuffed pasta shells with tomato sauce. Served it with garlic bread sticks and a green salad.

We're making freezer meals for my FIL, so I set aside enough shells and sauce to fill three mini loaf pans and put them in the freezer for him.

The creamed spinach casseroles were Italian influenced with portabella mushrooms, and Italian cheeses.
img_1474543_0_309d97fbd7f29f41041759223580b38f.jpg

That looks delicious, Kay! :yum: Pretty little dish on the top front too, reminds me of a dove.

Last edited:
Sounds good, CG. Can't go wrong with an eggy cheesy hammy omelet. :yum: Hope you feel better very soon.

Great sounding and inspiring meals this evening!

Back
Top Bottom