What's for dinner Boxing Day 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i worked late then slept through the afternoon, so i didn't eat until i was back at work tonight.

i was craving chinese food, so i decided to take a ride down to nyc's chinatown to try one of the most famous chinese restaurants there, wo hop on mott street.

to be honest, it sucked. it might have been that i was the only person there while they were cleaning up, or that it was the day after christmas, or just the fact that it was 2am, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

i got the veggie soup, which was mostly a little bok choy in not much more than hot water.

then i tried the duck chow fun: greasy, and i'm not sure if i actually got any duck, or did the few teeny bits of meat in it originally meow or squeak.

finally, the broccoli in spicy black bean sauce was not spicy, but rather sour. not bad, but not what i think of when you're talking black bean sauce.

oh well, i guess it's famous for the tourists.

so is boxing day something like our labor day in the u.s.?

It's the day after Xmas and it's more like black Friday in the US - most people think of sales and shopping. There are lots of "Boxing Day specials/sales" and even "Boxing week specials/sales".

There is a long tradition of gifts to servants. That's mentioned in the Wikipedia article to which Dave linked.

thanks. dave. i think we should observe a boxing day here in the u.s. it would be a nice way to extend the xmas holiday--a way to continue the food and family festivities a bit longer, and perhaps alleviate some of the holiday traffic glut both in the air and on the ground....

Many years ago, DH and I took a Christmas vacay (our first together) on the island of Antigua. A tour guide with a thick island accent was explaining the lay of the land and the traditions of this British colony. DH got very excited when she referred to Boxing Day. Being part Canadian, I knew what she was talking about, and couldn't understand DH's enthusiasm. When asked, he said he thought she was talking about Buxom Day!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom