"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Ouch.. sorry to hear that Andy.

Your alternate does not sound bad..

It as delicious with a veggie side and a cold Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #42
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I made the full Christmas Eve spread. Pickled Herring and rye bread for me as an appy (no one else likes it), then beet soup with mushrooms, fried haddock, potato and onion pierogi, peas, green beans, coleslaw, and a bottle of white wine. Dessert was cherry pie.
Here is a picture of Christmas Eve dinner....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChristmasEveDinner2011.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	12675  

Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I went to a walk-in clinic yesterday and the Dr. gave me a prescription, so we stopped at the pharmacy on the way home. There is a Little Caesars in the same mini-mall, so we picked up a hot and ready pepperoni pizza. Neither of us felt like cooking. We didn't even bother to have any wine with it. DH seems to be coming down with my sore throat.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #44
Wine Guy

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. The headliner was prime rib, a beautiful locally raised, grass fed piece of meat - bright pink and bursting with flavor. Sides were Potatoes Dauphinoise, crock pot mushrooms, peas with pearl onions and bacon, and a salad with homemade croutons and honey mustard dressing. For dessert, my daughter made Tiramisu. Her boyfriend brought the appetizer, which turned out to be a very nice selection of cheeses. The boy likes my daughter AND cheese. He apparently has good taste all the way around.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

my christmas eve dinner was a lovely buffet. beautiful sandwiches, dips, pasta salad,and lots of sweets. oh yes and a beef stew. to some people it is strange that i spend the eve with my ex- son in law. he is the father of my oldest granddaughter. we have known each other for over thirty years. old grudges are long gone. my daughter goes to this event as well as her two daughters. now that is what christmas is all about to me.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

nice spreads dave and mofet (as usual ).

we decided to cut down on the number of fish dishes, but splurge on the few we were going to make. so i managed to get some fresh - never frozen shrimp and flounder.

i've never had truely fresh shrimp this far north (i've had fresh gulf shrimp in florida, but that was a long time ago). i'd forgotten that fresh shrimp are kinda pink in colour. well, the type that we got were. i asked the fish monger if they were cooked because they were so pink, but no, they were truely fresh.

great stuff. same goes for the fresh - never frozen flounder.

we served the shrimp just quickly boiled in their shells, then cooled, peeled and deveined and served with sinus clearing cocktail sauce.

the flounder was breaded with panko and pan fried, served with tartar sauce and/or lemon.

the three of us killed off nearly 4 pounds of fish and shrimp in total, with the remainder going to our very appreciative outdoor cats.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #47
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks bt .....I love the sound of your sea food feast!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BT, that sounds so yummy. I wish I could get fish that fresh here. I really miss it.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Here is a picture of Christmas Eve dinner....

i'm ready to dive into your xmas eve spread and help polish off those lovely chunks of pickled herring! i can help, too, with that platter of holiday pirogies and those beautifully browned fishies....
Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
nice spreads dave and mofet (as usual ).

we decided to cut down on the number of fish dishes, but splurge on the few we were going to make. so i managed to get some fresh - never frozen shrimp and flounder.

i've never had truely fresh shrimp this far north (i've had fresh gulf shrimp in florida, but that was a long time ago). i'd forgotten that fresh shrimp are kinda pink in colour. well, the type that we got were. i asked the fish monger if they were cooked because they were so pink, but no, they were truely fresh.

great stuff. same goes for the fresh - never frozen flounder.

we served the shrimp just quickly boiled in their shells, then cooled, peeled and deveined and served with sinus clearing cocktail sauce.

the flounder was breaded with panko and pan fried, served with tartar sauce and/or lemon.

the three of us killed off nearly 4 pounds of fish and shrimp in total, with the remainder going to our very appreciative outdoor cats.
Thank you bucky.

There were 4 of us (PLUS the kitty). We had 8 clams each and we split 1 pound of cod which I cut into sticks. The kitty had a piece of cod with tartar sauce and loved it!! LOL

Tags
christmas, dinner