What's for dinner Christmas Eve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made the full Christmas Eve spread. Pickled Herring and rye bread for me as an appy (no one else likes it), then beet soup with mushrooms, fried haddock, potato and onion pierogi, peas, green beans, coleslaw, and a bottle of white wine. Dessert was cherry pie.

Here is a picture of Christmas Eve dinner....

Attachments

• ChristmasEveDinner2011.jpg
    ChristmasEveDinner2011.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 254
I went to a walk-in clinic yesterday and the Dr. gave me a prescription, so we stopped at the pharmacy on the way home. There is a Little Caesars in the same mini-mall, so we picked up a hot and ready pepperoni pizza. Neither of us felt like cooking. We didn't even bother to have any wine with it. DH seems to be coming down with my sore throat.

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. The headliner was prime rib, a beautiful locally raised, grass fed piece of meat - bright pink and bursting with flavor. Sides were Potatoes Dauphinoise, crock pot mushrooms, peas with pearl onions and bacon, and a salad with homemade croutons and honey mustard dressing. For dessert, my daughter made Tiramisu. Her boyfriend brought the appetizer, which turned out to be a very nice selection of cheeses. The boy likes my daughter AND cheese. He apparently has good taste all the way around.

my christmas eve dinner was a lovely buffet. beautiful sandwiches, dips, pasta salad,and lots of sweets. oh yes and a beef stew. to some people it is strange that i spend the eve with my ex- son in law. he is the father of my oldest granddaughter. we have known each other for over thirty years. old grudges are long gone. my daughter goes to this event as well as her two daughters. now that is what christmas is all about to me.

nice spreads dave and mofet (as usual :chef:).

we decided to cut down on the number of fish dishes, but splurge on the few we were going to make. so i managed to get some fresh - never frozen shrimp and flounder.

i've never had truely fresh shrimp this far north (i've had fresh gulf shrimp in florida, but that was a long time ago). i'd forgotten that fresh shrimp are kinda pink in colour. well, the type that we got were. i asked the fish monger if they were cooked because they were so pink, but no, they were truely fresh.

great stuff. same goes for the fresh - never frozen flounder.

we served the shrimp just quickly boiled in their shells, then cooled, peeled and deveined and served with sinus clearing cocktail sauce.

the flounder was breaded with panko and pan fried, served with tartar sauce and/or lemon.

the three of us killed off nearly 4 pounds of fish and shrimp in total, with the remainder going to our very appreciative outdoor cats.

nice spreads dave and mofet (as usual :chef:).

we decided to cut down on the number of fish dishes, but splurge on the few we were going to make. so i managed to get some fresh - never frozen shrimp and flounder.

i've never had truely fresh shrimp this far north (i've had fresh gulf shrimp in florida, but that was a long time ago). i'd forgotten that fresh shrimp are kinda pink in colour. well, the type that we got were. i asked the fish monger if they were cooked because they were so pink, but no, they were truely fresh.

great stuff. same goes for the fresh - never frozen flounder.

we served the shrimp just quickly boiled in their shells, then cooled, peeled and deveined and served with sinus clearing cocktail sauce.

the flounder was breaded with panko and pan fried, served with tartar sauce and/or lemon.

the three of us killed off nearly 4 pounds of fish and shrimp in total, with the remainder going to our very appreciative outdoor cats.
Thank you bucky.

There were 4 of us (PLUS the kitty). We had 8 clams each and we split 1 pound of cod which I cut into sticks. The kitty had a piece of cod with tartar sauce and loved it!! LOL

The cats had tuna water, the goofs won't eat the tuna. So I have a can of tuna to fix for lunch today.

The cats had tuna water, the goofs won't eat the tuna. So I have a can of tuna to fix for lunch today.

Mine usually prefers the water too. :LOL:

But, he got tuna for Xmas 'cause we were out of canned cat food and he seemed to really like it.

They change their behaviour in ways like that to mess with your mind.

Had a huge meal at my parents. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce, and deviled eggs.

Mine usually prefers the water too. :LOL:

But, he got tuna for Xmas 'cause we were out of canned cat food and he seemed to really like it.

They change their behaviour in ways like that to mess with your mind.

I had to laugh. My grandma's old cat would never eat tuna, but liked tuna water on broken up bread.

Anytime I open tuna, you would think it was the most prized thing they ever had. They almost climb up me to get at it. Opening butter can also put me at the center of attention.

Our cat also loves tuna water and will eat tuna SALAD. I think he loves mayo!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom