What's for Dinner... Duck, Duck, Goose? Tues 7/5/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Duck breast is quickly becoming one of my favorite "go to" meats. It's got a ton of healthy fat, and I love the way the skin crisps up when you fry it. Plus you can save all that rendered fat to use for frying other things (eggs fried in duck fat = YUM!).

Tonight I crusted it with ancho chili, and pan seared it before draining off the rendered fat and popping it into the oven to finish. The side is sauteed Chinese Broccoli, and the sauce under the duck is a reduction of sugar free raspberry preserves with butter, red wine vinegar, shallots, and ground chipotle chilies.

img_1471989_0_a063e1341bdf59c8bc622b82ef3d6a11.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking dinner Steve!

Ours tasted good but wasn't very picture worthy. Pulled out the KA Spiralizer and made noodles out of sweet potatoes. Cubed up some pancetta, sauteed that, added some sliced onions and sauteed to caramelize. Once that was done, added the sweet potatoes and some chicken broth and steamed. We let them steam a little too long and they got too soft and broke into tiny little pieces, thus, not picturesque, more like mushesque or risotto. Hey that's it, we had sweet potato risotto! Anyway, added some baby spinach and some fresh thyme and basil, cooked until spinach wilted. Then added the special part, cashews and garlic that had been pretty much made into butter with a high speed food processor and a bit of water. Craig topped his bowl with some pecorino romano, said it made it even better.

Can easily be made vegetarian, and that's actually what it was originally, by leaving out the pancetta and changing chicken broth for vege broth or water.

Last edited:
That looks gorgeous Steve! I wish we had somewhere to get nice duck breasts other than Whole Foods. That place just gripes me, and is just against my frugal nature. Grrr.
We're sure not always frugal though as King crab is on the menu again tonight. The SC found a nice sale on King crab pieces, with lots of knuckles, and since he doesn't mind prepping it, he netted 13 oz. of meat from 22 oz. at $9 per lb. Whole legs are running $21 per lb. here so it was a great buy.

Anyway, we'll put together a repeat of the Crab Louis from several days ago.
img_1471996_0_5e50ab2aa05cf7e1ffd94dca141cdcd9.jpg

Last edited:
We had American Chop Suey tonight. A grandson approved meal.

Quick story: I created my recipe for ACS at my daughter's request as she loved it in the school cafeteria. After a try or two it didn't meet the taste memory she had. She suggested some changes and, viola! It was perfect.

Now we both make it the same but my dear grandson insists Grampy's tastes better and gives his mom a hard time. I took the time to tell him how we use the same recipe. My secret - no snacks before dinner. When he sits down for dinner, he's really hungry!

Would you believe Delimex chicken soft Tacos from the store freezer?

I got a late start to an early morning appointment and then decided to run a few errands. I got home at 2pm, which is a couple hours late for breakfast/lunch. The late lunch means I won't be hungry again till 9pm tonight and I won't want to cook anything that late, so into the oven it will be with the tacos.

Cute "no snack" story, Andy. Your grandson sounds precious. :heart:

Steve and Kayelle, your dinners look almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

We had leftovers. Lordy, there certainly are plenty of them! Hot dogs (I had one), kielbasa (Himself finished off two small pieces), and Italian sausage (Loverly had one link). We also finished off most of the sides: baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, corn/bean/tomato salad. Loverly bought some fry pies when we were in Amish country, so Himself and I split a black raspberry and cream cheese one. Yum. :yum: Tuesdays are "Geeks Who Drink" trivia nights for Goober and his friends. We were not allowed to take the math and science geek away from them for the night. :LOL: S'okay. We need a break from the boy (and vice versa) every few days. ;)

We dragged a friend who's wife is getting some type of surgical procedure out for dinner. I had bean soup, the guys had fresh salmon. We carefully saved up the salmon skin for our friend's basset hound, and horror of horrors, we forgot it at the restaurant!

We will not tell him of this.

Steve, Joey, and Kay....wonderful looking dinners! I'm still stuffed from this afternoon's dinner and your pics are almost making me hungry again. :ohmy::yum:

I wish I would have taken a pic, but didn't think of it until we were halfway through. My brother came over around 2 and we grilled some beautiful rib eyes. Perfectly medium rare with a nice crust. :yum: I made a potato salad, and we also had garlic bread for the sides. We had such a nice visit. :wub:
Dawg....I can't begin to say how many times I've forgotten doggy bags at a restaurant!

Last edited:
I wanted a lighter dinner tonight, so I dredged mahi mahi fillets in flour and Penzeys Trinidadian seasoning, then pan-fried them. I served them over lemony rice with farmers market green beans simmered with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. :yum:

Attachments

• 1467775853677.jpg
    1467775853677.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom