"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Master Chef
What's for dinner? Friday, 10-2-15

Pulled pork tacos here. I portioned and froze about half of that 8 pound pork roast I got the other day, and saved some for sandwiches, tacos, and nibbling.

What's everyone having this evening?

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I saw a thing on Rachel Ray a few days ago where she made green bean "french fries", so I'm trying that. We also have various leftovers to finish up.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Master Chef
I'm finally braving the stairs with this dang gimpy knee to get down to the grill....oh how I've missed that grill! I thought about using the center CI grill on my new stove until I considered the mess. Anyway, we're having big beautiful rib eye steaks on the outdoor grill, salads and a baked spud for my honey. We also have a special bottle of wine chilling.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Sous Chef
Daughter and SIL came over for dinner, so we had shrimp and corn gumbo (a rather light interpretation of gumbo) over rice, with a garden salad on the side, along with some roast garlic bread. My wife made an apple pie this afternoon for dessert.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
I grilled some country-style ribs with a rub and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Made some roasted potatoes seasoned with onion, garlic, paprika, etc.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
DH wanted to take me out to dinner tonight, so I let him

We went to our favorite local Greek restaurant and I had my favorite dinner: a Greek salad with Pegasus wings - marinated and grilled chicken wings served with tzatziki sauce. So good! DH had a burger with seasoned orzo instead of fries and we shared fried calamari to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443832513378.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	23587  
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Master Chef
Nice looking plates, GG.

I made Italian sausage patties using this seasoning mix I found online. Himself declared it a "keeper". I think the next time I make it I'll amp up the seasonings just a little bit. Our side dish was escarole sauteed, then simmered with a bit of chicken broth and then generously covered with shaved Pecorino Romano. First time eating escarole - it was a little bitter to us. We decided we probably would enjoy it in a soup, though. Nevertheless, we still finished the pan of fixin's. It's amazing how good "on sale" ends up tasting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-02 20.33.50.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	23588  
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Senior Cook
I have a finished crock of sauerkraut so I made Grandma Hazel's sauerkraut pie. Browned burger and onions, layer of sauerkraut, topped with mashed potatoes then baked.

We had a bunch of volunteer winter squash come up so we let them go. Baked an odd looking acorn-ish one for a side, along with a caprese salad. ..cherry tomatoes, fresh mozz, the last of the basil and a drizzle of white balsamic.
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Two nights ago I learned of a local (TX and NM) dish that I had never heard of. Frito Pie. I went right home and looked in my 5 local cookbooks. No mention of Frito Pie. No, that is not what we had for dinner! We had a mess of potatoes, onions, roast beef, garlic and green beans for dinner tonight. We had frito pie at a restaurant last night and will have another version for lunch tomorrow.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef
We both were busy yesterday, so we did a dash by at the local Winn Dixie for some chicken thighs, criminis, white wine, zucchini and wide egg noodles. Coated the chicken thighs with a seasoned flour, sauteed until brown in some rendered fat and vegi oil, removed to rest. Sauteed sliced onions in the same pan, added sliced criminis. Deglazed with the wine and returned the chicken to finish cooking, along with some porcini powder and thyme. Served over the noodles with zucchini as a side.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote