"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
Sous Chef

A slow cooker filled with Thai pork in peanut sauce, mostly so our new mom daughter has some freezer meals of something she and her husband really like. If you think that you stop cooking for them when they move out, well, think again

Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm making baked chicken tonkatsu with a dipping sauce, rice and braised green beans with oyster sauce and sesame oil.
Went to Plan B. I had a cooked chicken breast in the fridge so diced that and mixed it with cheese tortellini and a jar of marinara sauce doctored up with sautéed onions, red wine, pesto, a bay leaf and a piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind. Also mixed in frozen peas so we wouldn't have to dirty another pan. Homemade ciabatta rolls on the side.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

We had breakfast for dinner tonight. I had an omelet with ham, scallions, mushrooms and two cheeses. SO had a cheese omelet with sausages and an English muffin.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Today I made stuffed clams and a pizza which I call a New Jersey Pizza because it is topped with Taylor- Ham (NJ,pork roll) & fresh Bella Mozzarella ( my brother's cheese ).

Mmmm, stuffed clams! Haven't had those in ages, and even then it was the store bought already made kind.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
Master Chef

That sounds soo fun Cheryl.
Congrats on Grandpoppahood Ten Speed!

I grilled some marinated chicky wings in Goya Mojo, SC had some chicken chili with them and we both had glorified green salad.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
...If you think that you stop cooking for them when they move out, well, think again
I'm guessing your kids are local? Ours live 600+ miles away. When I was making a vat of homemade spaghetti sauce I was also talking to our daughter. She said "you are bringing US some of that sauce, right?" I have two repurposed cottage cheese tubs in the freezer, wrapped and ready to head to OH when we visit at Christmas. Maybe I'll put bows on them and call them "gifts".

Congratulations to the new, sleepy parents and the entire family. Babies are soooo much fun - when they sleep.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Babies are soooo much fun - when they sleep.
So far the baby has been a lot more fun during the day than at night, much to the chagrin of mom and dad.

The moved back to the area this summer, and are only 10 miles away, just off one of my regular riding routes. Makes it pretty easy to help out.

I've never done much cooking in advance, so I have to scratch my head a bit to come up with things that work well reheated or frozen. Saucy type things over rice or pasta work, and I'm trying to come up with some variety. Being hungry and sleep deprived tends to make the food taste better, though.

I think I'll make another couple of meals for them today. I'm trying to decide between goulash, American Chop Suey, or Johnny Marzetti.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Oh Cheryl,
What was in the mummy calzones?
Old 10-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
Master Chef

Mmm...looks delicious, Joey.

Thanks, Kay! It was fun.

Congratulations on the new little one, tenspeed! I took meals to my daughter and SIL when grandson was born, too - the new parents really do appreciate it.

cinisasjoy, the Mummy Calzones were stuffed with pepperoni and shredded mozzarella, on top of a layer of marinara sauce.

DD prepared them by filling the center of pizza dough, cutting the edges into strips, then folding the strips across the center. Like this:

Name:   mummy calzone 3.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  27.6 KB

They end up looking similar to this: (images from the 'net)
Click image for larger version

Name:	mummy calzone.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	23745
Old 10-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Mmm...looks delicious, Joey.

Thanks, Kay! It was fun.

Congratulations on the new little one, tenspeed! I took meals to my daughter and SIL when grandson was born, too - the new parents really do appreciate it.

cinisasjoy, the Mummy Calzones were stuffed with pepperoni and shredded mozzarella, on top of a layer of marinara sauce.

DD prepared them by filling the center of pizza dough, cutting the edges into strips, then folding the strips across the center. Like this:
Attachment 23744

They end up looking similar to this: (images from the 'net)
Attachment 23745
Too cute. I bet that was a fun party.

Tags
dinner