What's for dinner? Friday 10-30-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
My daughter is having a small Halloween party this evening for family and a few friends, so I'll be having some eats over there. She's serving Mummy Calzones, Grape Worms (skewered grapes), Chilled Blood Cubes (a tray of cubed watermelon), Baked Skin and Brain Matter (pita chips and hummus :LOL:). Halloween cupcakes for dessert. The kids will love this. :LOL:

What's everyone having for dinner this evening? :chef:

My daughter is having a small Halloween party this evening for family and a few friends, so I'll be having some eats over there. She's serving Mummy Calzones, Grape Worms (skewered grapes), Chilled Blood Cubes (a tray of cubed watermelon), Baked Skin and Brain Matter (pita chips and hummus :LOL:). Halloween cupcakes for dessert. The kids will love this. :LOL:

What's everyone having for dinner this evening? :chef:

Sounds like a fun night.

That sounds like a lot of fun and real creative names Cheryl.

I know this much. Never ask a question unless you already know the answer or are willing to accept the response. I asked Dx earlier today what kind of Potatoes she would like with meatloaf. ( I have red skins and sweets, can make mashed, baked, twice baked, scalpt, +) She says Salad. I knew this was coming. I also bought Arrrugula at the market, her ongoing favorite greens. So along with meatloaf I am making thin sliced stir fried carrots and zucchini with a squiggle of lemon butter and a dijon mustard vinaigrette for the salad. No potatoes.

For weeks now I can't decide what to make. And when I do I am not satisfied. Maybe I should put this in petty vents. I'm just not happy with anything I've been making. Nothing taste good. Made green borscht for tonight. Friends are making chicken, will see.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I've had a habit of picking up "last day sale" ("manager's special") short ribs of beef, and individually freezing them. I realized some months ago I had too many ribs floating around my freezer, and not so coincidentally a shortage of room too! (I gotta cook that dratted whole chicken too!) So at least I quit buying them for the nonce.

So I threw 3 short ribs in cold water this morning, to thaw them, and early afternoon I browned them in olive oil, then selected an appropriate baking dish (turned out to be a Pyrex bread pan) and put the 3 browned short ribs in it and drowned them in barbecue sauce. This is traditionally a crock pot dish (throw in some chopped onions too, from the crock pot recipe book) but I was too lazy to go look for a crock pot. (I have two.) So it's been braising at 240F for a couple hours and probably go couple hours more before serving. Might drop the temperature to 225F if it starts getting later and still not hungry. I don't think it really matters much what temperature it is when you cook something for 4-5 hours. Thus Greg's theory of crock pots. :)

Probably have brown rice and a salad with that, maybe root around in my freezer for some frozen vegetables to go with my dinner.

Last edited:
Cheryl, I'm not sure I'd have much of an appetite with names like those. ;)

Fortunately, we'll be having good, ol' lasagna. Himself is off astronomy-ing again, so it's a play-evening in the kitchen. I'll bake the lasagna and mini, turkey meatloaves tonight, but keep the stuffed peppers for baking tomorrow.

Bought a big tub of baby spinach last week - haven't opened it yet. Somehow I see huge spinach salads for us before we cut into the lasagna.

I had several errands after work so I made a stop at a local Greek grill and got 2 of their chicken Greek salads with pita bread. Marinated chicken breasts grilled on lettuce with black olives, grilled onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese and their signature Greek dressing. It's sooo good! DH and I each ate one. Now I'm stuffed.

Today I made stuffed clams and a pizza which I call a New Jersey Pizza because it is topped with Taylor- Ham (NJ,pork roll) & fresh Bella Mozzarella ( my brother's cheese ).

img_1442120_0_cb1b5664d60be0dbacf62260b21b2c55.jpg

img_1442120_1_75a8034bd05600da8813598c3f66744b.jpg

A slow cooker filled with Thai pork in peanut sauce, mostly so our new mom daughter has some freezer meals of something she and her husband really like. If you think that you stop cooking for them when they move out, well, think again :chef:

I'm making baked chicken tonkatsu with a dipping sauce, rice and braised green beans with oyster sauce and sesame oil.

Went to Plan B. I had a cooked chicken breast in the fridge so diced that and mixed it with cheese tortellini and a jar of marinara sauce doctored up with sautéed onions, red wine, pesto, a bay leaf and a piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind. Also mixed in frozen peas so we wouldn't have to dirty another pan. Homemade ciabatta rolls on the side.

We had breakfast for dinner tonight. I had an omelet with ham, scallions, mushrooms and two cheeses. SO had a cheese omelet with sausages and an English muffin.

Today I made stuffed clams and a pizza which I call a New Jersey Pizza because it is topped with Taylor- Ham (NJ,pork roll) & fresh Bella Mozzarella ( my brother's cheese ).

img_1442126_0_cb1b5664d60be0dbacf62260b21b2c55.jpg

Mmmm, stuffed clams! Haven't had those in ages, and even then it was the store bought already made kind.

Last edited:
That sounds soo fun Cheryl.
Congrats on Grandpoppahood Ten Speed!

I grilled some marinated chicky wings in Goya Mojo, SC had some chicken chili with them and we both had glorified green salad.

...If you think that you stop cooking for them when they move out, well, think again :chef:
I'm guessing your kids are local? Ours live 600+ miles away. When I was making a vat of homemade spaghetti sauce I was also talking to our daughter. She said "you are bringing US some of that sauce, right?" I have two repurposed cottage cheese tubs in the freezer, wrapped and ready to head to OH when we visit at Christmas. Maybe I'll put bows on them and call them "gifts". :LOL:

Congratulations to the new, sleepy parents and the entire family. Babies are soooo much fun - when they sleep. ;)

Babies are soooo much fun - when they sleep. ;)
So far the baby has been a lot more fun during the day than at night, much to the chagrin of mom and dad.

The moved back to the area this summer, and are only 10 miles away, just off one of my regular riding routes. Makes it pretty easy to help out.

I've never done much cooking in advance, so I have to scratch my head a bit to come up with things that work well reheated or frozen. Saucy type things over rice or pasta work, and I'm trying to come up with some variety. Being hungry and sleep deprived tends to make the food taste better, though.

I think I'll make another couple of meals for them today. I'm trying to decide between goulash, American Chop Suey, or Johnny Marzetti. :chef:

Mmm...looks delicious, Joey.

Thanks, Kay! It was fun. :)

Congratulations on the new little one, tenspeed! I took meals to my daughter and SIL when grandson was born, too - the new parents really do appreciate it.

cinisasjoy, the Mummy Calzones were stuffed with pepperoni and shredded mozzarella, on top of a layer of marinara sauce.

DD prepared them by filling the center of pizza dough, cutting the edges into strips, then folding the strips across the center. Like this:
mummy calzone 3.jpg

They end up looking similar to this: :LOL: (images from the 'net)
mummy calzone.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm...looks delicious, Joey.

Thanks, Kay! It was fun. :)

Congratulations on the new little one, tenspeed! I took meals to my daughter and SIL when grandson was born, too - the new parents really do appreciate it.

cinisasjoy, the Mummy Calzones were stuffed with pepperoni and shredded mozzarella, on top of a layer of marinara sauce.

DD prepared them by filling the center of pizza dough, cutting the edges into strips, then folding the strips across the center. Like this:
View attachment 23744

They end up looking similar to this: :LOL: (images from the 'net)
View attachment 23745

Too cute. I bet that was a fun party.

Back
Top Bottom