What's for Dinner - Friday 30 August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
So what is everyone doing for dinner tonight? Anyone starting off the Labor Day weekend with something special?

We are going to friends for a birthday cookout. Not sure what is on the menu, it is a surprise, so I'll report back later.

I''m baking the cake for the celebration- chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Made the cake last night and will frost is this afternoon.

Tonight I'm making Chinese pepper steak over jasmine rice. Possibly with some mushrooms and/or onions added.

Hopefully leftovers from a picnic I'm having for lunch at the house site; guacamole, blue corn chips, hummus, sliced cucumbers and fresh peaches, and whatever the others bring.

I just started it off by grilling three hot dogs with toasted buns.
I'm not sure about tonight yet.

Have the last of the beef roast from earlier in the week simmering in the crockpot with BBQ sauce for sandwiches later - and leftovers to feed the freezer. Salad - this time with the Burgundy tomato from the farmers' market. Corn on the grill IF I can hit the roadside stand before they're all out. If I'm successful Himself will grill it after cutting grass. Gonna get a two-fer from the bug spray. :)

I had another all afternoon meeting with really good snacks (again, snacks were the only redeeming factor, I OD'd on snacks)...not terribly hungry right now.

We may go back to the brand-new restaurant where we had the REALLY good porterhouse last week, and split a meal again.

Last edited:
I've decided to grill a ribeye tonight. I've got some mushrooms I'll sauté with onions, probably just with butter. And I picked up some sub rolls at the store today, so some nice grilled garlic bread, also. Nothing green, but I'll live.

Sounds good everybody. I am envious. I just got home from a grueling day. Eleven hours of H-E double-hockey-sticks. Friday of long weekends are always killer. I cooked, baked, fried, sauteed, sliced, diced, cleaned, trimmed, talked, hocked, enough food to feed the army. I don't want to eat a thing. I think a few rye and gingers and snoring by 10 will probably be the plan.

Last edited:
Chicken thighs in marinara, with zucchini slices on top and some mozza on top of that. Its baking right now and smells amazing! We will have pasta with that and a caesar salad and an avocado/tomato/cucumber salad.

Bugs made some banana chocolate chip cookies for dessert and there are also some M&M cookies and some double chocolate chip cookies. Might make ice cream sandwiches with those.

Came home from errands to Himself sporting an upset tummy. He had cottage cheese with apple butter, I had a small BBQ beef sandwich. He said he'd graze so I'm off the hook for anything else. Seems like a 24-hour thing so the corn should still be good tomorrow, fingers crossed. It was warm from the field when I bought it, so it's infinitely better than most to begin with.

I cannot be allowed to attend to DA until tomorrow because of the cold I received. But I am able to cook in the basement rooms. DA had the dish Gwen brought to her. It was the lasagne she cooks very well.
I had the yogurt and one hard boiled egg. I was not hungry but I must eat.
Tomorrow I will surprise her with the nice London Broil, and it will be with other things I have not thought of which yet. It will be quite special and I will tell of it tomorrow.
~Cat

I found some cabbage in the fridge and just happened to have a pan on the stove with bacon grease in it :rolleyes: so I did have something green last night.

Attachments

• steak dinner3.jpg
    steak dinner3.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 224
A big tomato from the garden slice along with a slice of Vidalia onion, mayo between 2 slices of homemade bread along with some fresh picked cucumbers with a big glass of raspberry ice tea

Back
Top Bottom