What's for dinner? Friday 9-11-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I had a big lunch today with my grandson at his school for Grandparent's visiting day - pulled pork on rolls, potato salad, and watermelon. I'm not all that hungry and don't think I will be later either, so I think I'll just have a cucumber, tomato and feta salad with vinaigrette dressing this afternoon.

What's on everyone's plate for today? :chef:

I just popped a meat loaf in the oven , so it will be awhile until dinner:(
Alongside is a baked potato and some frozen garden green beans.

DH's cousin and his friend stopped by on their cross-country road trip, and I ordered pizza. We have a couple pieces left.

I also have a hankering for roasted baby carrots.

I had a big lunch today with my grandson at his school for Grandparent's visiting day - pulled pork on rolls, potato salad, and watermelon. I'm not all that hungry and don't think I will be later either, so I think I'll just have a cucumber, tomato and feta salad with vinaigrette dressing this afternoon.

What's on everyone's plate for today? :chef:

Please be careful. There has been a huge recall on cucumbers due to people getting severely ill, salmonella.

It's not a fun thing to get. I had it back in the 70's and was 'this close' to dying from it. Mine was caused by unsanitary conditions at a new restaurant. Just dreadful! My boss had taken me there for lunch and felt just terrible that I got so sick. He didn't, we ate different things. Had it for 3 months.

When buying cucumbers they advice you ask where they came from. I believe the ones in question were from California? I'm sure it is online.

We get most of ours locally right now, as is most all produce in our stores. But, you can never be too careful.

Please be careful. There has been a huge recall on cucumbers due to people getting severely ill, salmonella.

It's not a fun thing to get. I had it back in the 70's and was 'this close' to dying from it. Mine was caused by unsanitary conditions at a new restaurant. Just dreadful! My boss had taken me there for lunch and felt just terrible that I got so sick. He didn't, we ate different things. Had it for 3 months.

When buying cucumbers they advice you ask where they came from. I believe the ones in question were from California? I'm sure it is online.

We get most of ours locally right now, as is most all produce in our stores. But, you can never be too careful.

Yes, I know about the cucumber recall. Pretty scary and definitely something to be aware of. I get my cucumbers and most other produce from our small town farmer's market - everything is grown locally and I've known and trusted the grower for going on 20 years now. :) In fact, I just made up my list for first thing tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I have some leftover pork tenderloin. Thinking I'll caramelize some onions, stick them between bread slathered with honey mustard and make paninis. And gazpacho with garden vegies that need to be used. Glad to have my own cucumbers right now....

I think the cukes came from Mexico. I didn't grow cukes this year, but DH picks them up from the break room table at work, all locally grown. And free!

So nice to get cukes from people you know, Dawg! We had a great season earlier this summer, but ours are done now. But I contacted our local farmers market to make sure they'll have some tomorrow and they will! Yay! They're my favorite :wub: :LOL:

Break rooms and teacher's lounges are the best places to pick up free produce! Tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, I don't even need to grow my own.

DH's "work wife", now retired, also gives us a huge variety of peppers and cukes. Sadly, she's now battling breast cancer.

The roasted carrots were really good tonight.

Last edited:
Daughter came over and we decided on making Linguine with Cheese Sauce and Italian Seasoned ground turkey. Took all of 25 minutes from start to finish. Browned the turkey, got a pot of water started, while that was going, grated the parmesan cheese, melted butter with flour, (in between stirring the turkey), added 1 cup of half and half very slowly to the butter/flour, added the pasta to the water, in minutes it all came together. Served it with a Romaine/Carrot salad with Italian dressing...delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom