What's for Dinner Friday Dec 16/11?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
One more week to go!

I did a pot roast last night and it was so delicious there isn't a speck of leftovers!

Tonight is something with chicken breast I think. I'll need to use my noggin because we have folks coming and going. I hate it when we don't all hit the table at the same time, but that is just how life is these days. I think I'll do something Asian themed as I have some veggie spring rolls I'd like to do for an appy. Hmmm...

OK, changed my mind! I'm going to do chicken penne alfredo. I might make gnocchi today too if I get my butt in gear. Then my DD can have her gnocchi fix with alfredo sauce and the rest of us will have the penne.

I have bread dough rising, so tonight we will have sammiches... Kathleen wants roast beef so I will pick that up in a bit.

I forgot to take out the bottom round for stew so I may put it into a ziploc bag and do a cold water bath to thaw enough to cube it. Or I may just wait till tomorrow for stew. In which case it will probably be pasta or some sort of breakfast meal.

I'm hoping to get my tourtiere's made today so we might have a taste test tonight. I make six just to the baking stage and then freeze 5. One is for our Christmas dinner, one is for DH's family Christmas this Sunday and two are for gifts. The last one is for New Year's Eve with some friends.

I'm hoping to get my tourtiere's made today so we might have a taste test tonight. I make six just to the baking stage and then freeze 5. One is for our Christmas dinner, one is for DH's family Christmas this Sunday and two are for gifts. The last one is for New Year's Eve with some friends.

Even though my people fought on the side of the French, the French never used the word 'tourtiere' with us. What is a "tourtiere" may I ask. :rolleyes:

Even though my people fought on the side of the French, the French never used the word 'tourtiere' with us. What is a "tourtiere" may I ask. :rolleyes:
A tourtiere is a French Canadian meat pie, traditionally made with veal, pork and potatoes, though the recipes are quite varied between regions and families. Also, through the years people have substituted beef for the veal (I do equal parts of all three meats) and I just learned that some people are even substituting ground turkey thigh for the veal. It is seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. I think my family recipe is posted somewhere (I will look for it), but this is a good one that I just saw on Chuck Hughes' Christmas special "Chuckmas" and am going to try this year - and it makes six pies which I want, but you can easily cut it down.
Tourtiere

My pleasure! I'll be trying your truffles this year. You ever make them with rum?
I tried making a rum and eggnog truffle one year but it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. Something I will have to experiment on again for sure!

I have made creme de menthe and irish creme ones, following the orange twuffle recipe but leaving out the orange rind. Hmmmm, what about a chiffonade of fresh mint in the mint ones? :rolleyes:

Our fave Mexican restaurant. DH had his usual Pollo Ajillo ( chicken with garlic, Spanish, not Mexican recipe). And I strayed from my usual Enchiladas Indiginous Al Pastor ( pork/beef mix with guac, sour cream and green sauce) and tried Chillequillas. Very good and filling, though not what I expected. Basically broken tortilla chips with scrambled eggs, bits of meat, sauce, and queso. Couldn't finish it.

Last edited:
I made a cold salmon pasta salad. New recipe, pretty good but nothing special. Would have been better with a little red wine vinegar I think.

Back
Top Bottom