What's for Dinner Friday Dec. 5, 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
I know this is early. After work tonight I set the slow cooker up with goodies for Pot Roast. I will wake up to the aroma in the morning. :chef:

EARLY????? Heck.. have not even gone to bed yet!!! LOL! I'm heading out of town tomorrow... so DH is on his own while I go do some ghost hunting in Jefferson TX. It is a girl's weekend out!

I think DH will be doing some sloppy joe's or something like that. Me... we will be dining out somewhere, just don't know where yet.

I also know what I am having for dinner. Chinese takeout. I am doing my Christmas shopping tomorrow and the last thing I am going to want to do when I get home is cook. I will probably get my usual: pork chow mein, kung pao beef, and veggie delight (or lemon chicken).

We're going to a holiday reception after work so after that, we are going out to eat.

I made turkey stock earlier this week and tonight it is turkey soup ... with meat (obviously) escarole, pearl pasta, and cauliflower. Skillet cornbread to accompany.

it may well be

sausage gravy with portabella mushrooms over some portion of the whole wheat loaf of bread i just started in the bread machine

and broccoli

yesterday I harvested ALL the broccoli in the garden because I ran out of bed clothes to cover all the various veggies I want to protect...i will be bestowing broccoli on the neighbors and the mail lady today!

Beth, even living in S OH, how do you get your garden to last this late in the season? Is it in a greenhouse? Is this normal where you are? It just seems so late.... You lucky you :^)

I have no idea what I'm having tonight. Possibley the leftover roast, but I really feel like steak, kinda. I opened up a pack of fresh mushrooms last night, really fresh, and they have brown spots on them this morning. Maybe I'll make spaghetti sauce and use them up. Nope. No idea here yet.

oh, we got a big one tonight!

Spoke to Lou, he's already got the pretzels in bag....too bad they won't be the highlight of cocktail hour as they usually are:(.

Instead, in honour of Marianne and Jim, Day 1 I've been cooking already.

First course is pumpkin soup with cornbread croutons and brandy cream

Second course is short ribs with tomato and fennel over home made pappardelle. I've got breaded broccoli with lemon parsely butter to go with that.

I'm making an apple pie and walnut chocolate brownies for dessert. I was going to make strufoli but am saving that for next week when we put the tree up.

Since my dad was the originator of the Thanksgiving Rob Roy tradition, we'll be having that cocktail tonight. I have two bottles of beaujolais left from thanksgiving to have with dinner.

Now, back to work...

Beth, even living in S OH, how do you get your garden to last this late in the season? Is it in a greenhouse? Is this normal where you are? It just seems so late.... You lucky you :^)

quote]

no greenhouse, just a normal garden and...
an excellent book, "Four Season Gardening" by Eliot Coleman, he gardens in MAINE. We had 16*F last night and the celery, parsley, cabbage and spinach will keep well if kept from the constant degrading received from these temperatures. The carrots are under about 18 inches of hay right now and will keep all winter if the ground does not freeze. Earlier this week when it was 45*F I dug 20 pounds of carrots and store them in the frig. I keep an eye out for nice days to dig more carrots when I need them. I will harvest the cabbage soon, the parsley and spinach will hibernate all winter and start to grow early next spring, if I can keep the ground from freezing. I use thick old sleeping bags for the spinach and parlsey.

That's amazing. Thanks. I had no idea that could be done... keeping the ground from freezing merely using insulation type materials. Pretty cool.

Tonight is the band concert in Charlottesville. We'll be driving up to UVA and meeting my dad, sis, and nephew. Dad's favorite place there is Cheeseburger in Paradise so that's where we will be having supper.

Grocery shopping this afternoon... I'm in the mood for something warm and comfy but I'm not sure what yet...please keep those ideas coming.

Something quick and easy. Probably grilled cheese and tomato soup. I'm going to a bread baking class tonight at 5pm with our own JoeV!!

Barb

I have no idea since I have to work until 9 tonight. Might grab a chicken pot pie at work and eat on my break.

Just me again tonight and it will depend on what kind of mood I am in after dealing with the strata representative about getting our walls (finally) ripped out and repaired. Wish I could just order in a pizza, but promised DH I wouldn't after the box with my four new cookbooks arrived in the mail!

I've decided on spaghetti. I picked up some link sausage and some stick pepperoni at the store. Gonna make a big batch of sauce tonight with all kinds of goodies in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom