What's for Dinner, Friday, January 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I'm open to ideas! It is 14 degrees F .. going to be a high of 22. It is cold and windy. I am waiting on the electrican and HOPEFULLY I will have power back in the kitchen tonight so I can cook a real meal!

Any suggestions on a hot comfort food to celebrate?

I'm open to ideas! It is 14 degrees F .. going to be a high of 22. It is cold and windy. I am waiting on the electrican and HOPEFULLY I will have power back in the kitchen tonight so I can cook a real meal!

I would make a pot of chili or beef stew with cornbread (sweet or savory!). You could also have garlic bread or homemade biscuits!

We are having pizza.... 1/2 bacon, onion, green pepper; 1/2 green pepper, onion, black olives, diced tomato... maybe even some cauliflower (in really small pieces).

Dave - you could try this, its a really good and easy one pot meal.

Crock pot chicken & dumplings:

A Year of CrockPotting: CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings Soup Recipe

We have to go to a graduation ceremony for our niece tonight and then out to eat with the in-laws - JOY. :rolleyes:

Dave,

You said "... power back in the kitchen tonight... " You could use Toots' suggestion and use the crock-pot. That might be a better idea. If you're held up with the electrician into the afternoon... you're dinner will still be cookin'. You just have to plug it in somewhere else! :)

a full home grown meal; meatloaf (chevon), mashed potatoes made with butter and sour cream, s&p, horseradish and fresh minced garlic, baked sweet potato and sweet corn with a grinding of fresh black pepper and a spot of amish butter:)

Since I made such a huge pot of vegetable-beef soup yesterday, I'm definitely going to have leftovers tonight. Nice and hot and steamy, with a big hunk of cornbread. Have banana-nut bread for dessert. I'm a bit tired of Christmas sweets. At the rate I'm going, I'll still be eating them at Easter.

DH came home with a 7qt cast iron enameled pot yesterday..Today we make a big pot of french onion soup..Will have pancetta,tomato and lettuce sandwiches to go with it and if I feel like it a small green salad each...dessert will be baked apples
kadesma

I pulled some homemade lasagna out of the freezer for tonight.

When I left home this morning it was a very tropical 18 degrees compared to the 6 it was by the time I got to work. Lou and I had been chatting on the phone, pining away for the French Quarter. There is a place called Cajun Kate's not too far from where he lives, run by a couple who lived in New Orleans for 7 years before coming back this way. Every now and then Lou will pick up some gumbo, jambalaya and bread pudding and traipse it even further north.
I got a text message several hours ago that said "gumbo, tomato parmesan soup, bread pudding". I don't know if that's what he's in the mood for, or if that is what he picked up at Cajun Kate's. I hope it's the latter. If not I have a few things here I can toss together to create a wintery night cocktail hour.
But, I gotta admit, gumbo, tomato parmesan soup and bread pudding is gonna be real hard to beat.

I plan to have bourbon tonight.

Cajun Kate's. Mmm Mmm.:winkiss:

Thanks for all the great ideas. I got inspired by a variety of posts.. now I'm not sure what you'd call this but here's what I did (am doing):

Cooked 4 slices of chopped bacon in my Dutch oven ( enameled CI) to render out the fat. Removed it with a slotted spoon.

Added a pound of stew beef cubed and cooked it in the bacon fat till browned. Removed that with a slotted spoon.

Added 2 tbsp EVOO and then cooked for 5 minutes the following -
1 onion quartered and sliced
2 rib celery sliced @ 1/2" thick
3 large carrots sliced @ 1/2" thick
3 cloved chopped garlic
salt and pepper

Then I added some beef stock to deglaze the pot, added back in the beef and bacon and added enough stock to be level with the veg and meat and stirred all. Then added

2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Sirred and brought to a boil. Added 3 bay leaves, covered and put in a 325 degree oven. [It is cooking now]

I'm going to add 8 oz sliced mushroom after an hour and let cook for another 30 minutes. Thicken if it needs it and then stir in some cooked rigatoni and let it heat through.

Last edited:
Sounds like what I called potroast the other night. Instead of paste though, I added small diced tomatoes.
I thickened the juice and served over smashed pots.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I got inspired by a variety of posts.. now I'm not sure what you'd call this but here's what I did (am doing):

Cooked 4 slices of chopped bacon in my Dutch oven ( enameled CI) to render out the fat. Removed it with a slotted spoon.

Added a pound of stew beef cubed and cooked it in the bacon fat till browned. Removed that with a slotted spoon.

Added 2 tbsp EVOO and then cooked for 5 minutes the following -
1 onion quartered and sliced
2 rib celery sliced @ 1/2" thick
3 large carrots sliced @ 1/2" thick
3 cloved chopped garlic
salt and pepper

Then I added some beef stock to deglaze the pot, added back in the beef and bacon and added enough stock to be level with the veg and meat and stirred all. Then added

2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Stirred and brought to a boil. Added 3 bay leaves, covered and put in a 325 degree oven. [It is cooking now]

[Edited] Then after an hour add 8 oz sliced mushroom and 1/2 lb of uncooked rigatoni and enough more stock to just cover. Put the lid bck on and let cook for another 30 minutes.

Remove from over, remove the bay leaves, mix 3 tbsp softend butter with 3-4 tbsp flour, add the pot and still to thicken the gravy.

I made a few last minute changes (see above) and here is how it turned out... it was REALLY good. This is a keeper.

Attachments

• BeefNRigatoni.jpg
    BeefNRigatoni.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 193
Due to my pipe problems, we cancelled on the inlaws and stayed home. I made baked ziti.

Back
Top Bottom