What's for Dinner? Friday January 3, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Made some Barbacoa tacos using the sous vide method for an upcoming video.

1 2 pound Beef Cheek
1 Chipotle Pepper
1 Chile California
4 Chile Piquin
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon ground Chile Gualillo

20 hours at 185F.

This should also work in a crock pot on low but not for as long.

Sous Vide Barbocoa by powerplantop, on Flickr

PPO, you've done it again, drool all over the keyboard (again). Great photos, as always. Slurp!

Today was payday and shopping. I've got one sirloin pork roast just done. It was marked down 1/2 price! So a nice hunk of that will be dinner.

I think Tacos rank right up there deserving their own food group, just like ice cream, chocolate, beer and bacon do. :yum:

I'm having Costco rotisserie chicken, just the legs, so that critter can't run away before becoming weekend casseroles. There's also buttered corn and a spinach salad. Milk and chocolate chip cookies.

Colder than a witches' here so a bit of Quinttessential American Food is in order. Went at some frozen turkey leftovers and made up some turkey and biscuits.

Attachments

• DSC01996.jpg
    DSC01996.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC02000.jpg
    DSC02000.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 219
Colder than a witches' here so a bit of Quinttessential American Food is in order. Went at some frozen turkey leftovers and made up some turkey and biscuits.

What a coincidence! Found some turkey in the freezer leftover from Thanksgiving and whipped up a quick turkey ala king and served it on toast. Not bad.

I had turkey and biscuits for lunch yesterday! It doesn't get more comfort food than that.

I'm having beer and Klondike Bars for dinner. Almost out of beer, but I've got enough KB's left :yum:

I'm having some leek and potato soup I pulled out of the freezer. We're running out of easy food. Almost no bread, 2 eggs. I do have a bunch of cheese, so I'll probably snack on chunks of cheese.

It must be casserole night. It is cold and blustery here. I made tuna casserole with items from the pantry like Momma use to make. :chef:

Attachments

• 2014-01-03 15.29.08.jpg
    2014-01-03 15.29.08.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 215
I'm having some leek and potato soup I pulled out of the freezer. We're running out of easy food. Almost no bread, 2 eggs. I do have a bunch of cheese, so I'll probably snack on chunks of cheese.
I remembered. I have tourtière! I had a piece. :yum:

I made Papa, Carl, Laki, Gwen, and DA wonderful tuna, bacon and Swiss cheese grilled sandwiches on ciabatta rolls and DA's vegetable soup.

Mamma and I are still not having our appetites back yet, so we just had the rest of the chicken soup and water.

Perhaps this is tuna night, yes?

With love,
~Cat

I made Papa, Carl, Laki, Gwen, and DA wonderful tuna, bacon and Swiss cheese grilled sandwiches on ciabatta rolls and DA's vegetable soup.

Mamma and I are still not having our appetites back yet, so we just had the rest of the chicken soup and water.

Perhaps this is tuna night, yes?

With love,
~Cat
You are supposed to be resting.

The four of us went to a very small art show that a friend of our son's opened today. After, we stopped for Chinese because Mom had a taste for it. Gotta keep this Mommy happy. ;-)

Three entrees, soup and egg rolls around...and leftovers for the boy.

Um...this was our SATURDAY night. Oops. Friday was still cauliflower soup and cabbage and noodles.

Last edited:

is there a recipe for it somewhere? Never heard of it, but it looks good :chef:

we had "Zurcher Geschnetzeltes" without champignons, 'cause there weren't any in the house with swiss roesti, and believe me, it was great!

is there a recipe for it somewhere? Never heard of it, but it looks good :chef:
I would just google "Turkey with biscuits recipe" You will find many different recipes.
There are many variations. I don't use milk, I just make a gravy using a slurry of flour and water. which I add after the other ingredients have simmered in the turkey stock for about 20 minutes. Then I let that cook on low for another 10 or 15 minutes and finish off the seasoning.

I also used a product called Bisquick to make the very basic biscuts...But, you can find many recipes to make them from scratch...

Last edited:
Mmmm. I was debating with myself what to make with the roasted chicken I picked up from Costco yesterday. Chick'n' noodles, chicken and stuffing/ dressing casserole, or chicken and biscuits. Rock locked this one in pretty early. Chicken pot pie with home-made buttermilk baking powder biscuits.

I stripped the bird last night to make stock this morning. I have fresh green beans, pea pods, carrots, onion, and may or may not add some potato and frozen cauliflowers. I have broccoli and peas too, but that may be too much green veggies and I like green veggies. I'd like a little celery when I make stock, but you can't have everything.

Cara, you can make a gravy sauce or veloute sauce, combine with cooked veggies and some sliced/ bite size pieces chicken or turkey. Heat it all in a pan or pour into a casserole dish and pre-bake. Once it is hot, place biscuits on top and bake at 400 -425 F for 12 -15 minutes until biscuits are done. Heating the mix first keeps the biscuits from coming out with soggy bottoms when the tops are done. Use extra biscuit dough or make a tray of biscuits to serve with butter and honey on the side.

I like to make turkey a la king (the same turkey and veg in gravy) and serve it over mashed potatoes. If I don't have potatoes, we have it over toast, like Andy.

I had a difficult day yesterday so DH suggested picking up some takeout from our nearby Greek restaurant. I got their marinated, grilled chicken wings, DH got a gyro pizza, and we both got Greek salad.

Back
Top Bottom