What's for Dinner? Friday, January 30th, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I just saw that no one had started a dinner thread yet. I don't know what I'm having yet. We're actually going out with brother and sister-in-law tonight to an as yet undetermined location. ;)

Been a busy Kaboom Friday (laundry, cleaning) so I planned an easy-to-prepare meal.

We had Italian meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce, mashed potatoes, buttered baby lima beans, rosemary-olive oil bread and butter, iced tea and the last of the coconut cream pie.

We're nicely full and, best of all, there's enough leftover for another meal, except for the lima beans, bread and the dessert, but that can be easily remedied.

I made a Duck Thai Curry with Chinese Egg Noodles.

Admittedly I used a red curry paste but it's so damn good and has so many ingredients! Rendered the duck skin to release the oils then lightly sauteed some onion, adding in sliced duck breast. Transferred it to a pan, then added the red curry paste. When it cooked out, I transferred some sliced mangetout peas (blanched) with some stock and coconut milk.

I wanted some actual fried chicken so I'm frying some breaded thighs and we'll have baked potatoes and glorified green salad thanks to my sweet Sous Chef.. Fresh strawberries and cream for dessert.

I wanted it to be warm out. So, in my mind it is. I made slow oven baked spare ribs, homemade bbq sauce, cole slaw and corn muffins,

We went out to eat, local restaurant, I had house cut prime rib med rare, with a side of rabe and port mushroom, I brought 12 oz of the 17 oz home and my oldest son was waiting at the door for my left overs, lol. I made them pork chops with a sweet cranberry/ bbq sauce.
My wife ordered a ravioli special, I think they were butternut squash with lemon butter sauce or maybe a sage brown butter, not sure... She got a side of sweet potatoes that I ate half of, YUM...

I drank 1/2 club soda with a splash of cran while I ate, and had a glass of whiskey after dinner {cutting out beer and soda, lol but I ate a huge chunk of fatty red meat}...

I made two half-batches of mac-and-cheese. Wanted to try something different that I found online, Greek Style Mac 'n Cheese, so that was one casserole dish. The other half of the rotini was turned into my regular "what cheeses need to be used up?" mac-and-cheese. Although the Greek style didn't wow us, it was good enough for us to finish up. Probably won't make it again. Meanwhile, I have another full meal just waiting for...tomorrow? We'll see. :LOL:

We also had romaine salads, no dessert. Finished up the gingerbread last night with a topping of a quick lemon sauce.

Karen made the pizzas while I manned the Egg. The crusts got pre-grilled, topped and back on the Egg to finish.

This one has duck pastrami, caramelized onions, fresh cherries that were steeped in ruby port and a mix of motz and gruyere cheese.:yum:

36788-albums1020-picture6185.jpg

The humble pepperoni.

36788-albums1020-picture6187.jpg

Karen also made a pot of rich beef stock for other meals, primarily onion soup.

Last edited:
Nice pies! :yum:

I had half a jar of marinated artichoke hearts in the fridge with two more jars in the basement (Costco overload), so I found a recipe for artichoke bites with eggs, cheese, and bread crumbs. Turned out really good.

I've heard that artichoke hearts make a good pate too but never tried it.

Here ya go, Kay: Artichoke Nibbles Recipe | MyRecipes.com. Apparently an oldie but a goodie!

I used panko breadcrumbs, and didn't use as much marinade to cook the onions. I baked the mixture in a greased 7x11 glass dish, and went for 40 minutes in the toaster oven.

Thanks Dawg, copied and pasted. Sunset recipes are often keepers, and I loved the intro to this one..

Contributed in 1971 by a Sunset reader, these squares of artichoke-flecked cheese custard hold a special place in consulting editor Judith Stone's family. When her niece was about to get married, her sister-in-law included the recipe in a memory book for the bride with a note: "[This is] my all-time favorite recipe, one I turned to after a long, grim period of collegiate cookery…May you have many happy, healthy years of experimental nibbling--on this frittata, and on each other."

Back
Top Bottom