What's for Dinner, Friday July 9th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Today is another hot day and DH works so I have changed my visit to Dad to the afternoon and will probably pick something upon the way home. Not sure what yet though, except it won't be cafeteria food!

What is everyone else planning for dinner?

Friday is movie night at our friends' house, so we will be eating there. She is planning to have BLTs with fresh tomatoes her neighbor gave her from his garden. Of course, she changes her mind about as often as she blinks, so who knows?! It will be good though. :cool:

:)Barbara

Baked Parmesan Chicken Breast
Squash, Zucchini stir fry
Jasmine Rice
Fried Green Apples

The forecast is for 99 degrees by 4 pm so I bought a rotisserie chicken and will serve it cold with a black bean salad and sweet potato fries. We will have tropical ice cream for dessert.

It's the last night at home for my college boy. He leaves in the am for summer session. So we're grilling steaks. Not sure of the sides yet. I'll ask him what he wants. Probably corn or broccoli.

Finally it's cool enough to cook food around here! Tonight we'll have Wild Aalska salmon (WF had it on a BIG sale yesterday :)) and rabe. Still eating light in this weather.

i have a big pot of white beans with bacon simmering as we speak. i used less salt bacon instead of ham hock. ham has to much salt for my diet.

strange thing, put beans to soak in crock part of crockpot. came out this am to all the water from the beans was on the counter. guess it sprung a leak and i don't know why. anyone else ever heard of that. it is old but still it is ceramic, so don't know how it would leak. anyway dutch oven will work. put sweet white onion in it and chopped garlic. pepper, paprika, garlic pwd. and onion powder in it. should be yummy. will make corn cakes to go with em.

Same here. It is not going to be home cooking though... I'm ordering pizza and wings. I'll start back cooking tomorrow.

Ha ha, we are sure walking similar paths these days. I got home from the hospital early today but still don't want to cook, specially just for me.. I thought I would order a pizza from the restaurant two block down the road. DH used to be the pizza cook there and the house special is incredible!

Last night we had a delicious impromptu "Jambalaya", utilizing a box of Zatarain's new "low sodium" Jambalaya rice mix, a package of sliced Jalapeno chicken sausages, some corn cut from the cobs of some leftover market corn we enjoyed the other day, & some lovely fresh organic baby green & burgundy okra from the farmers market. Green salad, of course!

Last night we had a delicious impromptu "Jambalaya", utilizing a box of Zatarain's new "low sodium" Jambalaya rice mix, a package of sliced Jalapeno chicken sausages, some corn cut from the cobs of some leftover market corn we enjoyed the other day, & some lovely fresh organic baby green & burgundy okra from the farmers market. Green salad, of course!

what did you do with the okra?

Just rinsed it off, trimmed off the stem end, sliced it up, & tossed it into the Jambalaya about 10 minutes before end of cooking time. It was delicious & fresh-tasting. Cooked, but still firm. No slime - lol!

Shrimp in a white wine/garlic/butter sauce, with steamed asparagus and brown rice. Homemade blueberry swirl ice cream for dessert.

awesome, love fried orka. will eat boiled but not often it is slimy

I think the key is that when I add sliced okra to other dishes, I always slice & add it no sooner than 10 minutes before end of cooking time. Stays in shape & doesn't seem to exude as much "juice".

Now if I'm "stewing" it, like with tomatoes, then I add it whole, in which case I do add it earlier in the cooking process.

Back
Top Bottom