"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What's for dinner, Friday, October 12th

i'm way ahead of the rest of the western hemisphere on this, but those of you ahead of zulu time should be thinking about tonight's dinner by now.

in fact, the aussies and kiwis had better get their barbies fired up soon!

so, i'm working 'till 8am est, then going food shopping. need to pick up some limes and cilantro for salsa (it's already made but needs the missing ingredients). also need to pick up ingredients for stroganov. then, sleep for a coupla hours, get some work done on the cabling in my house, and start dinner.

if the family's a go, tonight will be czar andy's beef stroganov! if not, then i'm making my version of steak kew: beef tenderloin chunks marinated in red wine and onions, then seared in peanut oil in a wok. more onions, some peppers, shiitakes, baby bok choy, wine and butter are added. cornstarch to thicken it.

what are you cooking today?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Head Chef

Vegetable samosas, salad and yoghurt dressing. Not my own samosas. I'm in the big city and have discovered a bakery where the owner's wife makes them and boy are they good...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't normally respond to these posts, unless I'm actually preparing a dinner worth writing about. Usually, after working all day in a kitchen, I'm satisfied with a can of soup and a soft pretzel.

However, tonight, Lou and I are hosting a dinner party for 6.....each course with appropriately paired wines..

Mushrooms stuffed with cranberries and toasted hazlenuts with cocktails in the parlor.

Poached quail eggs with figs, grilled pancetta and polenta over chicory with a fig balsamic viniagrette.

Osso bucco with butternut squash risotto and citrus/herb gremolata. I'm also serving homemade brioche.

Cheeses from europe and London served with ficelles. (3 cow cheeses, 2 sheep and one goat)

Olive oil and sauternes cakes with roasted pears and sauternes sauce.

Like I said, if I'm just opening a can of progresso it looks lame compared with the fact that most of you cook dinner every night! But tonight...well, tonight I expect great things to delight all the palates.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

grilled hot dogs with homemade chili,8 hr. baked beans,potato salad,tea and for dessert raspberry cheesecake ..homemade of course.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef

don't know what it'll be but do know where it'll be, YVR.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
tare and share bread, baked beans (BBQ Style) and Walter Smiths Sausages (bangers).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Tonight will be spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic bread. It's cool and raining all day so far, so I thought this would be a good dinner.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Everymom

I headed for Vera's for dinner. YUM.

We're having gnocchi tonight if I ever get off my arse to make them. I will do a tomato sauce with them and likely a 3 cheese (or 4 depending on whats in the fridge) sauce too. There will be salad and either ice cream or oatmeal cookies for dessert.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
We're having chicken guisado with Mexican blend cheeses rolled in corn tortillas fried until crispy with a side of salad, perhaps cole slaw and a side of Spanish rice.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Orange roughy with mango salsa, creamy cole slaw and a fruit (blackberry, strawberry, banana) salad