What's for dinner, January 16, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're having sweet and sour chicken over steamed rice. Probably nothing else since I add stir fry veggies to my sauce. We all have somewhere to be so a one dish dinner for us!

baking some boneless pork loin chops with a can of Progresso mushrooom soup and some kinda fresh mushrooms and some onion over that. maybe sone peppers too.

green salad and possibly a veg.

I'm going to make pasta with homemade marinara sauce, chicken, olives and capers. Probably top it with fontina or asiago and bake it. I have balsamic roasted vegetables for the side.

Well my :chef: son come over earlier and fixed dinner...

Pot roast on the stove....I saw oranges...cranberries...wine...cloves...carrots
pan gravy
garlic mashed potatoes...
fried apples...
sheepherders bread...I saw fresh rosemary...
warm blackberry cobbler...

I am a full puppy!!

We just finished our dinner and had beer brats, kraut, boiled new red potatoes and rye bread. Son made the brats, I did the kraut and potatoes and daughter made the bread. It was very good. The guys washed theirs down with German beer and the girls had water. We're trying to keep the calories down a bit. LOL

We have a lovely fresh deer loin sitting in the fridge. Kim is going to slice it into medallions, tenderize, then prepare as country-fried steak.
He wants mashed potatoes and gravy with it. We usually have instant...his choice, because he doesn't want to mess with them. But tonight, I'm going to try making the mashed potatoes out of baked ones. I think they'll be just as easy, and I know they'll taste better.

We'll have LeSeur peas with that...I like to eat them in with my potatoes. When I was a little girl, I didn't like peas. But my very imaginative mother used the mashed potatoes to make a little bird's nest, and put a spoonful of peas in for the eggs. I've been hooked ever since. :rolleyes:

Rib steak cook-off! I bought two vintage #8 cast iron pans on eBay. They cost within cents of each other and both exceeded my expectations. They're in lovely condition with beautiful, smooth cooking surfaces - and already seasoned which I was prepared to have to do myself.

I got one for me and one for a friend and cannot decide which to keep and which to ship off! So we bought a lovely rib steak which I will cut in half, applying one half to the Griswold and the other half to the older Victor. We'll just make sure they are both capable of sizzling a proper steak. :) Accompaniments will be roast potatoes, artichokes and steamed broccoli.

Came home from work and walked three miles...it was cold and blustery but it felt wonderful. Between working on my feet all day and barely eating anything in that kitchen I should be a size 2. I have the metabolism of a slug.:(

After the workout I had a bowl of red beans and rice and quite possibly the sweetest orange I've ever had. Better to get those while the getting is good. California oranges will be quite scarce this season.

Last night I popped a chicken into my good old Ron Popeil "Showtime" rotisserie (Lord, that thing turns out FABULOUS roasted birds with literally zero attention), & served it with oven-roasted root vegetables (chunks of potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, onions, & whole peeled garlic cloves).

Leftovers for lunch today - yum!!!

Back
Top Bottom