What's for dinner January 19, 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to wait awhile before making a dinner decision due to these awful gusty winds we're having here today (45-50 mph). (Although it has been rather fun humming a few bars of "Born Free" as I watch my gang of trash cans try to make a valiant escape across the yard. . . .) It's just this kind of weather that tends to knock our power out, & I don't feel like being in the middle of cooking something & then have to stick it, half finished, into the fridge.

However, if things calm down a bit later I'll be throwing together one of the following:

Baked Ziti with Mozzarella, Parmesan, & Ricotta cheeses, with a green salad; or,

Mexican-style Meatloaf with buttered smashed potatoes & a veggie mix of green beans, wax beans, & baby fingerlength carrots; or

Fajita-style wraps, using marinated turkey strips & multi-grain tortillas, with a choice of: grated cheddar cheese, sauteed sweet onions, sauteed Anaheim chili peppers, sauteed red & orange bell peppers, shredded lettuce, sour cream, ranch dressing, & hot salsa.

So one of the above will be on the table tonight unless we lose power (in which case it will be takeout pizza or Chinese), or unless dealing with the dogs, horses, & trash cans on this blustery day causes me to not want to lift any pots & pans at all later on - lol!!!

Normally we go out or get take out on Friday nights, but my husband is working late, so I will cook. Since we had leftover from our roast chicken last night, I made a chicken and sausage minestrone for tonight and we'll have it with grilled garlic toast for dipping.

Just finished making a big pot of French Market soup and will have it with the last loaf of homemade baguette. Not sure what we'll have for dessert yet. Tonight's the night we speak with Buck's mother on the phone, which usually takes a couple of hours, so we may not have any dessert. Still have lots of Christmas candy left to satisfy any sweet craving either of us may have after dinner.

Cold and sunny here today but colder temps and snow's predicted for tomorrow. Looks like the kind of weekend ahead for "comfort" food.

We are going out tonight to celebrate my birthday a little early. We will be going to my favorite Chinese restaurant. We will most likely be the only Caucasians there. If you know to ask then they will give you a second menu which has a lot of interesting things on it that the main menu does not have. I cant wait to try some new things tonight.

I came on to get an idea what to make for dinner. Still not sure. I love GB's idea of having Chinese. Guess I will get out the cookbooks and see if I can come up with something. LOL

We had tacos! Home made, first time ever! It was good, not authentic but good!

Have a good weekend everybody!

We're getting some sort of take out tonight, but havent decided just yet.

Decided on pizza. I guess we'll be getting those high winds tomorrow that some of you are experiencing, gusts to about 40 mph predicted.

Last edited:
GB, how does Rachel eat when you go out for food like that?

I'm not sure what I'll make DH. I woke up with a sore throat that keeps feeling worse, so I pulled some chicken rice soup out of the freezer for me. DH doesn't like chicken rice soup....maybe I'll just make him fend for himself!:LOL:

Stir-fried beef with carrots, green/yellow/red peppers, onions, and carrots over rice. This is for daughter and friend who absolutely cannot miss the football game at 7.

HH and I will either eat whatever's left or forage in the fridge. I'm thinking it's a flannel pj night in front of the TV, maybe with some popcorn (unless the kids already ate it all).

waiting for my doll to call and tell me if it's Friday night date night or if I'm cooking. either way, it's okay.
I gotta study anyway so maybe a salad with salmon and herb rice will be it if he calls and says ''dinner's on you''..........:cool:

update, DH called and we're going to dinner @ local steak place.
of course that's after I made the red beans and brown rice instead of the above.....................guess it'll be for tomorrow night and then I'll pull out the salmon

Last edited:
Well, the power has already conked out a couple of times, so if it's still back on by the time husband get home, I'm thinking my marinated turkey fajita wraps will be safest - & fastest best bet. If husband gets home & finds me sitting here like an idiot in the dark, then takeout it will be.

I'm just about to feed/walk the "Gang of Four" (aka my dogs), as well as go out & do the "herd" (aka the 7 horses). Since I nearly got blown off my feet just picking up the mail, it oughta be tons of fun!!!! Especially with the horses, by the time I get done with all the hay & water, I'll look like an extremely poor version of Marjorie Main's "Ma Kettle".

I would LOVE to be having cauliflower tonight!! Problem down here is it's too expensive right now and it looks like it has been sitting in some storage shed for 6 months!:yuk: I prefer it steamed, but still slightly crunchy, with melted butter!!
So much for that though! Tonight were having grilled chicken breast over a bed of caesar salad!

GB, I was wondering what you had for your dinner at the Chinese restaurant off the second menu. I love Chinese food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom