What's for dinner? July 15, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
A veggie omelette and a slice of toasted rye. I have some red and green bells, a shallot, and some asparagus to use up so thought that sounded good. Still not turning on the oven. :)

What's everyone having tonight? :chef:

TB had his big meal as usual for lunch - Grilled steak with watermelon salad, grilled kale (you just wilt the leaves and give them char marks, it only takes a minute each side).

I had some of the salad and will eat my chicken later. I am too hot to eat now.

Well it looks like we're going to have what I'd planned to fix for Saturday's dinner...finally.

In light of the fact that we're up to our all-American eyeballs in fresh tomatoes (thanks to our own tomato plants), we're going to have some of the biggest, most decadent BLTs possible.

Saturday morning I made a huge loaf of rustic bread in anticipation of the sandwiches, so that's done. Plenty of lettuce is at the ready, along with tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes.

I'm going to weave the bacon lattice-style and cook it on the waffle grids of the Cuisinart Griddler, per an Alton Brown suggestion.

All I have to do in a little while is make some homemade mayo to slather on our sammies.

Iced tea to drink and a healthy piece of fresh blueberry pie to top it all off.

I revived a batch of spicy pork and sauce from the freezer. It's an ATK recipe for an easy al pastor type of taco. We had this for the first time in June and saved the leftover for another meal. That's tonight.

So tacos 'al pastor', mexican rice and a cold beer.

Just had some locally smoked mackerel (Atlantic not King mackerel) caught in the Irish sea - about 50 miles away. Absolutely delicious. Had it cold with a mixed green salad, potato salad with scallions and a dressing made of half and half mayo and low fat yoghourt, creamed horseradish sauce, a shot of lime juice and ground black pepper. Also and a tomato, which despite the orange vinaigrette dressing and basil tasted of nothing.

The mackerel was properly smoked for preserving not just for flavour.

No pudding as I was full.

I love smoked mackerel MC.

We had hot dogs, using whole wheat pita instead of buns and cole slaw. Washed it down with Carlsberg.

I had a late lunch so I'm not very hungry. I made the first pesto from my garden today, so I'll make bruschetta with pesto, chopped garden tomato and a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. I'll also make a dish of nachos for DH. I need to get a red onion so I can make some more pickled red onion for Mexican dishes.

The BLT experiment was a roaring success. Cooking the bacon on the waffle grids was a real winner. Forming it into a lattice shape was perfect, too. Check out the photos. The first one are the puzzle pieces. The second one is the completed puzzle. Yum, yum, yum!

Attachments

• BLT - components.jpg
    BLT - components.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 167
  • BLT - assembled.jpg
    BLT - assembled.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 161
We had a meal made in the bamboo steamer. Hadn't used them in years, they've been in the cabinet over the fridge until I used them to steam the buns for the Chinese pork belly sandwiches last week and realized we really should use them. So, tonight decided to marinate some chicken in an Asian-themed marinade, steamed the chicken in the bottom layer for about 12 minutes, then added the rack with the carrots for a few minutes, then added spinach and snow pea pods to the rack with the carrots for about 10 minutes, then bean sprouts for a couple of minutes. Made a bunch of rice because we are having fried rice later in the week to use up the rest of the pork belly that went into the freezer and the 2 pieces of chicken we didn't use tonight.

The BLT experiment was a roaring success. Cooking the bacon on the waffle grids was a real winner. Forming it into a lattice shape was perfect, too. Check out the photos. The first one are the puzzle pieces. The second one is the completed puzzle. Yum, yum, yum!
Nice, can I have a bite?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom