What's for dinner? July 6, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Hot this afternoon and I don't feel like cooking, so I went with a cool and early salad dinner. Marinated cukes, onions and radishes, and a potato/radish salad. I had a bunch of radishes to use up. :) It's only 4:45 here now so I might snack on more a little later.

What's on everyone's menu for this evening?

img_1373056_0_7a9d2438541a9b31f4d848a634a78fea.jpg

Shrek made fried potatoes with onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers and chorizo for dinner. Quite yummy, but I have to limit myself or I will eat it until I burst.

Dessert...half a personal watermelon, well chilled.

Nice looking dinner, Cheryl! I love meals that are heavy on the veggies. :yum:

Tonight was our third night in a row of grilling out. I pulled a ring of sausage out of the freezer this morning, so we had that along with some sweet potatoes and leftover beans from yesterday.

img_1373060_0_bafdeba59e17bb16995bccfaa1b54945.jpg

Our container garden is beginning to explode with bounty so we had a big plate of sliced cucumbers, along with a bowl of cherry, grape and yellow pear tomatoes.

Glenn gave me a Cuisinart Griddler for my birthday in May, so I inserted the ridged grill plates and put a bunch of zucchini slices in it, using the panini feature. Before I put them on I brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled some garlic salt and herbes de provence. They sure smelled good as they cooked.

We bought some nice big brats from a local butcher and Glenn cooked those on the grill outside. A bowl of Cajun potato salad and lots of iced tea filled us and cooled the spicy flavors from the potato salad and the brats.

Nice looking plates Cheryl and Steve.

Katie, I've had a griddler for a while now and really like it. We've used it for chicken, burgers, panini, pancakes...

Thanks, Andy and Steve.

Steve, I could go for some of that sausage and beans. My dinner was good, but didn't stay with me very long. Hungry again already. LOL

Katie...sounds good, but where is your dessert? :ermm: I always look forward to hearing what you two had for dessert. :yum: :LOL:

Oooops! Forget.

We had wings on the grill and tossed salad with a beer to wash it all down.

Nice looking plates Cheryl and Steve.

Katie, I've had a griddler for a while now and really like it. We've used it for chicken, burgers, panini, pancakes...

Yes, Andy, we really like ours, too. I just received the waffle plates with an Amazon gift card and some of our Amazon points. Can't wait to make waffles and...to cook bacon on the waffle grids per a suggestion by Alton Brown. Don't want any unitaskers, you know!:LOL:

Thanks, Andy and Steve.

Steve, I could go for some of that sausage and beans. My dinner was good, but didn't stay with me very long. Hungry again already. LOL

Katie...sounds good, but where is your dessert? :ermm: I always look forward to hearing what you two had for dessert. :yum: :LOL:

Sorry, Cheryl. Last night we finished the birthday key lime pie and, tonight, we were just too full to consider dessert, plus I hadn't made any.

However, you can look forward to Boston creme pie in our future.:wacko:

I made some balsamic chicken and a corn, garbanzo bean and cherry tomato salad with a vinegrette dressing on a bed of greens. More cherry cobbler.

The Pirate tossed together a macaroni salad and we have a bag of chicken wings in the freezer. Too late for today, but definitely on for tomorrow. Crank up the AC, and turn the oven on for the wings.

Just took a look at tomorrow's forecast. It is supposed to go up to 90ºF. I might just have to wait on those chicken wings. :angel:

Last edited:
Sorry, Cheryl. Last night we finished the birthday key lime pie and, tonight, we were just too full to consider dessert, plus I hadn't made any.

However, you can look forward to Boston creme pie in our future.:wacko:

:ohmy: :yum:

We went out to our favourite family restaurant. It has been about two weeks since we were last there. In that time it changed ownership and the food was not great. We wondered what was up when the parking lot was empty. Yes, we went a bit late, but on Sunday evenings many of the regulars would be there. There is new staff. Unfortunately we may not be going there either. I like to give a second try so we will do that in a few weeks time, trying to give them time to get going.

This was a favourite place to take Dad and they would accomodate his food needs (soft foods or pureed). Also a dear elderly friend and I would meet there once in awhile and treat each other to lunch. She passed away last month.

I have a feeling that restaurant is going to be a closed chapter.

Anyway, I had fish and chips (which are usually the best around but they weren't) and TB had a steak, but it was not an 8 ounce steak by any means.

The fact that the wait staff had completely changed, speaks loudly.

My granddaughter worked for an upscale Italian Restaurant. One day she went in to work and was told because she couldn't speak a certain language fluently, her services were no longer needed. The manager on down to the bus boy had been replaced and the menu had changed from Italian to another Ethnic group. No more tablecloths with cloth napkins. Too bad. It was a lovely place to go to. The last we heard, it is not doing very well.

Today, my granddaughter has a job in a really not just upscale, but high class restaurant. First the sommelier will approach the table and make the recommendations according to what food they ordered. Then she steps in. All she has to do is bring the bottle of wine to your table and remove the cork. Then she places the bottle in the bucket after she pours your drink into your glass. Of course she allows them to smell and take a tiny sip first to make sure they approve. She makes more money in tips in one night, than she did at the upscale restaurant in one week. And no, she doesn't have to split her tips with the sommelier. He makes his own tips.

This is the kind of restaurant you would find at the Ritz. Not a bad job. :angel:

I trained in a restaurant much like the one your granddaughter is in now. It was attached to the school, but a fine dining restaurant in it's own right. Once we graduated from the training kitchen to the restaurant we were chefs and doing all the jobs we would do in the "real world". Once a week we would have to serve in the dining room. This included setting tables, waiting on customers, bringing the wine ordered through the sommelier, serving the food, cleaning tables and even working the till. This was to give us a rounded education in case we ran our own place some day. We had celebrities, politicians and members of the Vancouver Canucks (hockey) and BC Lions (Canadian Football League) dining there.

I am glad your granddaughter has found a good solid job. It will help her to go places in the future. She may even find she wants to be a sommelier!

I trained in a restaurant much like the one your granddaughter is in now. It was attached to the school, but a fine dining restaurant in it's own right. Once we graduated from the training kitchen to the restaurant we were chefs and doing all the jobs we would do in the "real world". Once a week we would have to serve in the dining room. This included setting tables, waiting on customers, bringing the wine ordered through the sommelier, serving the food, cleaning tables and even working the till. This was to give us a rounded education in case we ran our own place some day. We had celebrities, politicians and members of the Vancouver Canucks (hockey) and BC Lions (Canadian Football League) dining there.

I am glad your granddaughter has found a good solid job. It will help her to go places in the future. She may even find she wants to be a sommelier!

During her first two years of nursing school, her parents paid for her tuition. And that was all. She had to earn the money for her books and any other expenses. So she has worked in a lot of diners, drive-ins and dives. She got her experience in the real world, but the worst job was at Hooters. This present restaurant is where all the stars dine when they come to Boston. And she has to wear a gown. Thankfully, she has a closet full of them as she entered tons on pageants. A new gown for each one. My granddaughter is stunningly beautiful. And I don't say that because of our relationship. Sometimes I find myself staring at her in wonder. Right now she is working and saving her money so she can finish school. She dropped out because she found her then boyfriend more interesting. That is when her parents pulled the plug on her financially. Good for them. Smart parents. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom