What's for dinner? March 4, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe I'll pan fry burgers, sauté onions, and have baked fries on the side. I'd of liked to grill the burgers but the rain has me stymied.

I made a burger, too. A "smashburger." I've never actually been to a Smash Burger restaurant, so I don't know how mine compare, but they are pretty easy to make, and the ones I make taste good. The thin patty gives you a lot of charred surface, which yields some good flavor. I cook them in a cast-iron pan, so I really get a quick cook and nice browning.

CD

Thank you, kgirl and Steve. I don't take the time much anymore to 'pretty up' a dish. :LOL: I used to more often, but having my grandson every day after school and just general life keeping me busy, not so much lately.

Steve...every now and then I like a good ol' fashioned hot dog. I steamed one a couple of weeks ago, put it on a cheap hot dog bun, smothered it with Dennison's canned chili and chopped onions, and thoroughly enjoyed it. :yum::LOL:

Last edited:
Delicious looking dinners, folks! And there is nothing wrong with hot dogs, Steve. I would have steamed them up in some beer, though. ;)

We cleaned up the bits and bobs of our leftovers tonight. For Himself, the last of the barbacoa with some rice and black beans. I seasoned the beans with Arizona Dreaming (Penzeys) and added some fresh (store-bought) salsa to the rice. I cleaned up the last of the Picadillo and the polenta. Tomorrow I start generating fresh leftovers! :LOL:

...I've spent the last weekend and a half painting my kitchen. I bought Pittsburgh Paint - their top of the line product - and it took FOUR coats of the stuff to cover up the old canary yellow walls. Five coats in some spots. Needless to say, at $40+/gallon, I won't be buying that again...
Primer. Get yourself a bucket (5 gallon) or ten of primer. When we inherited my parents' home in 2000, our daughter and her friend moved in and started to restore it. The first thing they did was tackle painting the walls. The last time they saw fresh paint was just before my high school graduation...in 1969. Thirty years - those walls were thirsty. Primer is cheaper, usually does a better job of hiding color, and tends to roll on quicker. Good luck on getting all the fixing-up done. Can't wait to see your next round of photos!

I had a quart and a half of leftover lasagna sauce from last weekend, so yesterday I used it to make two 8x8" pans of lasagna - one for tonight and one for the freezer.

So, lasagna with green salad and garlic bread made with a homemade loaf of no-knead bread.
Mmmm, quite delicious if I do say so myself :yum:
0304172009b_HDR.jpg

Another clean plate award day for my Mom. Starter was shrimp cocktail, followed by med-rare roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, and mixed veggies. Dessert was date sticks. I am thinking open-faced roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy for Sunday's dinner. Or maybe walleye or cod...decisions, decisions.

Wienerschnitzel, rotkohl, spaetzle and onion gravy.

picture.php

Tenspeed and K-girl, we've got (or had, not sure where it's at) a set very similar to the Norpro, heck it could have been for all I know, been so long since I used it. To me, it's too fiddly to mess with, so I usually try to roll the dough wide enough to just fold it over filling. With practice, I've found it's easier and faster to roll the dough out, preferably wide enough to place a ball of filling on, use my finger or a small brush to trace around the filling ball with some water, then fold the dough over to cover, or lay another sheet over the top. I then use a cookie cutter for the size ravioli I want, making half-moons, round, squares, rectangles, triangles, etc. I use a small ice cream scoop that has a lever in it so you just squeeze and it pushes the filling out. They come in just over and under tablespoon sizes and go up.

You just have to be careful, especially when using a second sheet of dough for the top, to make sure and not get too big of an air pocket around the filling ball, again, practice to see the best way to do that for you. For me, it's just gently/lightly folding over the dough (or laying the second sheet down), then pushing individually around the filling balls before flattening out the rest of the dough in between the balls.

With practice you get pretty fast doing it that way instead of fiddling with getting the filling in those little inserts, which also limit the amount of filling and the size of your raviolis.

Wow, Cheryl! Very impressive! :yum:

I've spent the last weekend and a half painting my kitchen. I bought Pittsburgh Paint - their top of the line product - and it took FOUR coats of the stuff to cover up the old canary yellow walls. Five coats in some spots. Needless to say, at $40+/gallon, I won't be buying that again.

Our DD had really dark blue walls to go with her really dark blue marbled wallpaper, with black furniture and heavy drapes. Yes, she was sort of Gothy in her teens. When she left, we re-did her room. NEVER again will I allow wallpaper in my house. We had to use Kilz, which is a heavy duty primer, as CG suggested, to cover that dark blue paint and it took 2 or 3 coats of that. The room ended up a very light rose pink, with very dark rose accents on door frame and stenciled design along the ceiling.

Craig's brother had painted accent walls some interesting colors, Mandarin Orange being 1 of them. When he passed and the house was put up for sale, his son had to use Kilz to cover up the interesting colors. Craig's brother was a character for sure. Some things in his house were beautiful and classic, others very interesting.

How EXCITING Steve!
Could you maybe start a new thread with your new home updates so that they don't get lost and readily accessible? (which I probably SHOULD have done as well :stuart: )

I may post some before and after photos once I get a little further along. I've got much of the first floor done, but haven't even started on the second or third floors yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom