What's for dinner? March 4, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm browning some nice little short ribs now, and fixin' to chop up some veggies to include in a beef stock/pan dripping gravy. Potatoes are simmering on the stovetop now.

Smells so good and beefy in here. :LOL::yum:

What's on your menu for this evening? :chef:

Holy cow... I just realized I have no idea what's for dinner. I've been painting all day and suddenly noticed it's getting toward that time.

I'll probably just end up grabbing something quick and easy from the store.

I had a quart and a half of leftover lasagna sauce from last weekend, so yesterday I used it to make two 8x8" pans of lasagna - one for tonight and one for the freezer.

So, lasagna with green salad and garlic bread made with a homemade loaf of no-knead bread.

Holy cow... I just realized I have no idea what's for dinner. I've been painting all day and suddenly noticed it's getting toward that time.

I'll probably just end up grabbing something quick and easy from the store.

I'm in the same boat, Steve. Been busy all day and realized just a few minutes ago I have nothing set for dinner.

I was just informed we are going to try two Trader Joe's frozen meals we picked up a while back to try out. I believe they are Butter Chicken and Pork Vindaloo. I'll report back in the TJs thread.

I believe I'll pan fry burgers, sauté onions, and have baked fries on the side. I'd of liked to grill the burgers but the rain has me stymied.

Have a casserole of scalloped potatoes in the oven (new, potentially "keeper" recipe), and garlicky seasoned and browned up some bone-in and very meaty country pork ribs and have them braising. Glenn hasn't been eating much lately so this should do us.

I was impressed with the initial preparation of the potatoes and am about to die from the fragrance coming from the oven. Hope they're as good as they promise to be.

Picked up a rib eye @ Trader Joe's a couple of days ago... That with an Asian flavored saute of asparagus and mushrooms (also from TJ's) will do for both of us... :yum:

Brought home a rack of pre cooked ribs we sell in the deli counter. Broccoli salad, and Greek pasta salad...one thing we are actually going to do is boil a couple of cobs of corn...

Baked chicken parm, ricotta filled ravioli (made with my new Norpro ravioli maker that arrived today, using fresh pasta), green salad on the side. Marinara was from a batch I made last fall that was in the freezer.

Ravioli made with fresh pasta is waaaayyyyy better than store bought.

Everything sounds yummy!

Tonight, I am finally doing what I've been dying to try my homemade pizza.
This will be our very first homemade pizza in our new home, YAY!!

I made pizza dough from scratch yesterday (I like to leave it sit to "develop" more flavor as they do in Italy) and shredded up as nice block of whole milk Mozzarella cheese and I MAY slice up some fresh crimini mushrooms.

I have my pizza stone in the oven; I leave it heat for one hour before I do anything.
DANG IT!
I forgot to buy some corn meal for the "ball bearings", well, flour will do.

I'm having "no imagination" for dinner. I've been on the theme of "last day butcher's bargains" for the last few days, turkey legs Thursday, chicken breast Friday, it's back to chicken legs today. Pre-seasoned I decided to just bake them with no special treatment. I still have left over jasmine rice. I'm sipping wine and munching fresh vegetables with dip.*

I simply like the taste of plain old chicken.

I think I'll complete my protein, starch, veggie triad by relying on the raw vegetables consumed: mushrooms (no nutritional value or calories, just a little of manganese AFAIK), green onions and 1-2 spears of asparagus. I'm saving a few mushrooms** to toss in the oven near chicken finish time. -- I just love mushrooms! Raw, cooked, sauteed, any way!

*dip: A very nice veggie dip can be made from sour cream and dry onion soup mix. For fewer calories use non-fat sour cream or non-fat Greek style unflavored yogurt.

**mushrooms: I've been on a baby portobello AKA "brown" mushroom kick lately, started by my meals at a local chain Italian restaurant cuisine which features Crimeni mushrooms, which Google tells me are merely portobello mushrooms harvested before they have grown large, and are sold as "baby bello" or similar names. If anybody has some info they care to share, speak! :) In any case I almost never buy white mushrooms any more and almost always buy the baby bells instead. I can't quite explain why I like them more except they "taste better" or "please me more" but I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Last edited:
Baked chicken parm, ricotta filled ravioli (made with my new Norpro ravioli maker that arrived today, using fresh pasta), green salad on the side. Marinara was from a batch I made last fall that was in the freezer.

Ravioli made with fresh pasta is waaaayyyyy better than store bought.

RIGHT?!!!
I'm hooked!
It's some work, but so worth it, wouldn't you say?

Welcome to the ranks of the retired, tenspeed!!! :LOL:

If you have any reservations about getting old, I hope yours pass as quickly as mine did! -- Once you get past that you may find as many sr. citizens do that their later years can be among their most enjoyable! :)

Clam PoBoy

img_1501690_0_c825b067b36a1909b3512ffb74d773ce.jpg

I'm browning some nice little short ribs now, and fixin' to chop up some veggies to include in a beef stock/pan dripping gravy. Potatoes are simmering on the stovetop now.

Smells so good and beefy in here. :LOL::yum:

It was delicious! :yum: The short ribs were so tender, and there's plenty of leftovers for a full meal tomorrow. :chef:

Attachments

• short ribs and veggies over mashed potatoes.jpg
    short ribs and veggies over mashed potatoes.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
My wife thinks that it's worth my work. :chef:

I'll be making it again in the future. Now that I'm retired, I can indulge in such frivolities. No way could I do this while I was working.

BAHAHAHAHA!
That's what DH says too!
When we were working, I HARDLY EVER made these time-consuming recipes, MAYBE once a year for Christmas or the like. Now that we're retired, we were just talking about the same thing, that our menu has really expanded to more diverse dishes. Before, it was basic, very basic 30 minute meals, and I would cook once a week for all 7 days of the week, one crack. Freezer or `Fridge portioned off ready for the micro during the week.

I have a Norpro rav kit as well, love it. ;)
I thought for a second that I'd like that KA rav attachment but NO! The reviews were horrid.

It was delicious! :yum: The short ribs were so tender, and there's plenty of leftovers for a full meal tomorrow. :chef:

Wow, Cheryl! Very impressive! :yum:

My dinner.... not so much. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I had a couple of microwaved hot dogs for dinner tonight.

I've spent the last weekend and a half painting my kitchen. I bought Pittsburgh Paint - their top of the line product - and it took FOUR coats of the stuff to cover up the old canary yellow walls. Five coats in some spots. Needless to say, at $40+/gallon, I won't be buying that again.

I've got all new appliances coming on Thursday. I'll post some photos once everything is put back together.

Wow, Cheryl! Very impressive! :yum:

My dinner.... not so much. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I had a couple of microwaved hot dogs for dinner tonight.

I've spent the last weekend and a half painting my kitchen. I bought Pittsburgh Paint - their top of the line product - and it took FOUR coats of the stuff to cover up the old canary yellow walls. Five coats in some spots. Needless to say, at $40+/gallon, I won't be buying that again.

I've got all new appliances coming on Thursday. I'll post some photos once everything is put back together.

How EXCITING Steve!
Could you maybe start a new thread with your new home updates so that they don't get lost and readily accessible? (which I probably SHOULD have done as well :stuart: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom