What's for dinner? May 12, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Tyler has a baseball game at 5:30 and I'm going to go watch him play, so it'll just be a quickie salad. I'll probably nibble on cheese and salami with crackers also, for a little salt and crunch. :)

What's on your plate? :chef:

I lucked out. DH hit up the ATM after work, and the Thursday food truck happened to be there. He brought home a half rack of ribs, a pulled pork sandwich, baked beans and slaw, all of which we split.

A mocktail of V-8 juice, prepared horseradish and Worcestershire sauce, the last few TJ's salt and pepper pistachios. Dinner was a cheeseburger and a simple salad of red onion rings and cucumber slices.

They ain't purty but they are crazy tasty! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

51799-salt-pepper-pistachios.png

Article | Trader Joe's

Clam pasta, using fresh pasta and clams from the freezer that we had gotten a big bag of a few weeks ago, steamed some, ate them and steamed the rest until they just opened, took them out and froze them in the steaming liquid and their liquor. Garlic rolls to go with.

Clam pasta, using fresh pasta and clams from the freezer that we had gotten a big bag of a few weeks ago, steamed some, ate them and steamed the rest until they just opened, took them out and froze them in the steaming liquid and their liquor. Garlic rolls to go with.

Thanks for the information on freezing the clams. In my area the fresh clams are usually available 50 at a time and it would be handy to freeze half of them for another meal.

LOBSTAH! Local supermarket is having lobster on sale this week at $5.99 / lb. SIL is traveling, so daughter and grandbaby are over for dinner. Corn on the cob, baked beans (Bush's grilling beans with bacon, onion , and bell pepper added), green salad. Life is good on the New England seacoast!

I sous vided a rib eye, made a fresh chimichurri, and hasselback potato.

The hasselback wasn't th perfect accompiament for the chimichurri, but it was getting old and had to be cooked. Each was delicious,but I wouldn't put them together again.

I sous vided a rib eye, made a fresh chimichurri, and hasselback potato.

The hasselback wasn't th perfect accompiament for the chimichurri, but it was getting old and had to be cooked. Each was delicious,but I wouldn't put them together again.

There used to be a Peruvian restaurant near us that served cold boiled potatoes with some of their entrées. That would probably be good with chimichurri.

I found a container of lasagna sauce in the freezer from last winter, so I used it to make stuffed shells. Served them with a simple salad and toasted baguette with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and butter. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Grass got cut, I made shrimp po'boys. :D I tossed the shrimp with a generous amount *cough cough* of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and grilled them on my Lodge griddle. Sides were potato chips and homemade dill pickles from my first batch. Not as good as the later ones will be when I can use fresh dill seed heads. Washed it all down with an Abita Amber ale. :yum:

LOBSTAH! Local supermarket is having lobster on sale this week at $5.99 / lb...
A few years back, we were able to get lobster for $4.99 a pound. Brought three steamed ones home to use for lobstah rolls. I decided to pile up all of the meat and weight it when I was done picking. When I was done, I figured a pound of lobster cost me $30 - and about an hour of work. If I were to get lobster again, I would grill the seafood clerk to find out IF they cleaned their own lobsters for their fresh, ready-to-use lobster meat AND I would make his swear it was that's day's meat. That is one job I don't want to do again. Good thing we prefer shrimp and scallops in our house. And Lake Erie perch. Ohhhhh, lake perch. :yum: Can't get that around here, though.

CG, I agree with you on the lobster!

If a lobster does end up following you home treat him to a hot bath and a bowl of this wonderful soup! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Lobster Bisque

1 ½ pound lobster
3 quarts of water
¼ cup dry sherry
1 cup heavy cream
¼ t nutmeg
¼ t white pepper

Plunge lobster into boiling water and cook for 25 minutes, remove lobster, save water. Strip lobster meat, chop and process with ½ cup of lobster cooking water in food processor or blender until smooth. Bring lobster water to a boil; add processed lobster, nutmeg, pepper, sherry. Reduce heat, taste, adjust seasonings for salt and pepper, add cream and leave on low heat for five minutes.

Notes:

This is nice if it can sit and mellow for a couple of hours, reheat just before serving, do not boil after the cream has been added.

The mixture may be thickened before adding the cream with flour, potato starch or slurry of cornstarch.

The soup may be frozen in meal size portions prior to adding the cream. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and add cream when the soup is reheated.

I like it with a small piece of ice cold butter floating in the cup when served.

I never boil lobster. They are much more flavorful if steamed.

Unless you get a pretty good size lobster, they only useful meat is in the tail, claws, and arms. It comes out pretty quickly. This time of year they are all hard shell, but even so they are no match for nutcrackers and seafood forks.

I have a few lobster steaming pots of varying sizes. The biggest is 80 or 100 qt. Thirty lobsters is a little more than half the capacity. That was back when they would go on sale for $2.99 / lb. when they went soft shell and couldn't be shipped economically.

Thanks for the information on freezing the clams. In my area the fresh clams are usually available 50 at a time and it would be handy to freeze half of them for another meal.

We've been doing it that way for years. We steam them in white wine, water, a clove or 2 of minced garlic and a bit of either scallions or minced sweet onion. Just let the steaming mixture cool, bag and then add the shucked clams and their liquor. We do try to use them fairly quickly though and not freeze long term, both for safety and quality. Oh, I do usually pour the steaming liquid into a measuring cup and let any sediment settle into the bottom while it cools so I can avoid freezing that.

Rock, I've never seen plain frozen clams either but like Bea we get them in bags of 50 or occasionally 100 so necessity became mother of invention.

Back
Top Bottom