What's for dinner? May 4, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good! How do you make your basmati? I was taught to rinse it in cold water 3-4 times, and then let it soak about 20 minutes in warm water, drain it, and then cook it. I only use white basmati from India (and prefer brown basmati--rarely make the white). I recently made white basmati toasting it (no washing first) in ghee, cooking it with 7 curry leaves, and "dressing it" with cumin seeds popped in ghee. It turned out great, but I've never made basmati without washing it first. So, how do you do yours?

Hi there - I never bother to rinse it first, and use a rice cooker. I also only use basmati from India - I hate the American stuff. I buy the Whole Foods 365 Organic white basmati rice. (it's from India). I like brown rice a lot, but so far can't find any from India in my area. (limited resources here).

Your recipe with the curry leaves, cumin seeds, etc. sounds great!

Last edited:
The weather is just gorgeous with clear sunny skies and mild temps. I had the last bowl of oyster stew for dinner. There is some broth sans oysters left so I'll move that to the freezer for another day.

I rinse brown basmati in a strainer in lots of running water. Then I just cook it like brown rice, but it's done quicker. I buy brown basmati from India in 10 lb bags.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom