What's for dinner? May 4, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll probably have a fish taco. Just looked through the freezer and I have 2 more good sized pieces of Trader Joe's breaded halibut, and still have plenty of cabbage and tortillas in the fridge. Easy dinner that I never get tired of. :yum:

What's on everyone's menu? :chef:

Some more of yesterday's 4 bird roast - even better cold the second day - with new potatoes, steamed broccolini and a giant mushroom sauted in butter, topped with ale and onion marmalade sauce (I am ashamed to admit this last came out of a packet but was excellent).

Accompanied by a glass or two of South African sauvignon blanc. Not exciting but acceptable.

Haven't decided on dessert yet. Either yoghourt and something or fruit on its own or if I'm feeling wicked a couple of chocolate covered Hobnob biscuits (cookies)

Last edited:
I have no clue whatsoever what we will be having.

We went out last night (I had a horrible bacon cheeseburger at Swiss Chalet... I think they should stick to chicken!) so won't be doing that tonight.

We still have to go shopping so will probably pick something up then.

I'm going to try a pressure cooker BBQ spiced pulled pork using some awesome Mead that was a gift. Unless I drink it all first. I have two bottles so I'd probably pass out before I used it up so it's looking good.

Served on Hawaiian sweet rolls with cole slaw (on the sammitch!.) I have some double chocolate gelato and some brownie brittle to crunch on top for nachspeise. Fro(insert umlaut)he Sontag.

It has been raining all day. I've been lazing around in my fleecy jammies. I had arugula, asparagus, green onions, double-smoked bacon lardons, green and red peppers, and spinach still prepped from the dishes I made on Friday. What to make? What to make? Thought of pasta but I don't eat a lot of pasta so I made an omelet since I didn't have eggs for breakfast. Collected 18 eggs this morning, so figured I could eat some of them. Anyone want to buy some eggs <g>?

Tonight was salmon with a glaze of herbs, spices, Dijon mustard, white wine, and lemon juice. Served with basmati white rice and steamed broccoli.

Tonight was salmon with a glaze of herbs, spices, Dijon mustard, white wine, and lemon juice. Served with basmati white rice and steamed broccoli.
Sounds good! How do you make your basmati? I was taught to rinse it in cold water 3-4 times, and then let it soak about 20 minutes in warm water, drain it, and then cook it. I only use white basmati from India (and prefer brown basmati--rarely make the white). I recently made white basmati toasting it (no washing first) in ghee, cooking it with 7 curry leaves, and "dressing it" with cumin seeds popped in ghee. It turned out great, but I've never made basmati without washing it first. So, how do you do yours?

I made a dish with chicken, tomato, green olives, roasted red peppers, onion and garlic seasoned with taco seasoning. We also had a pasta salad and some rolls.

We are having boneless pork ribs done in the oven with sauerkraut, onions, garlic and brown sugar. It smells great in here right now! Not sure if we will have some boiled potatoes or leftover potato salad as a side, I really think we should have peas with this as well. Peas just seem to go with pork and sauerkraut to me ;). There is still rhubarb crisp for dessert....

We grilled some kielbasa and asparagus and had most of the leftover potato salad from yesterday. Strawberry shortcake with farmers market strawberries for dessert.

I ordered a few boxes of Fisher Scone mix for dh for Valentine's Day and as much as he reminisces about "Puyallup Fair Scones," we still hadn't made any up. I decided it was about time so we had breakfast for dinner with scones, bacon, and scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar. He's right, those scones sure were good fresh from.the oven with some fruit preserves!

May the Fourth be with you! Happy Star Wars Day!

We got takeout pizza from a local chain, it was, unfortunately, a notch below frozen, and the worst we've ever had from there. Or maybe anywhere. I think they forgot the seasoning, the sauce tasted like plain tomato paste and they must have cheaped up on the pepperoni and cheese, as we couldn't even tell there was any. :( I told DH he needs to call and tell them.

Mmm, scones. Good idea Sprout - I need to get my recipes out and make a couple batches.

The cold front moved in when we were in church. In the 60s on the way in, 51 when we came out. And windy. Brr. I took pity on Himself and decided he can do the chops, chicken and corn on the grill tomorrow. Tonight I threw a package of bratwurst into the fry pan, loaded up about a pound and a half of sauerkraut on top the sausages...and then decided he'd probably like a potato with that. Got one big-ish "yellow potato" (guess the store brand generic didn't pay to use the term "Yukon" on the label, or it's not a Yukon yellow), cut in half lengthwise, then sliced it wafer thin. Moved the brats and kraut to the perimeter of the pan, then piled on the potato slices in the middle. Winner! Nothing for dessert since we stopped for ice cream after church. After all: Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Back
Top Bottom