What's for dinner? May 7, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a bit of shredded cheese, green onions, and jalapenos to use up so I think I'll have a quesadilla. Then back to more salads after today! :ohmy::LOL:

What's on everyone's menu today? :chef:

I went to check out the fresh fish situation for dinner tonight and stumbled across some sea scallops on sale for $9.99/Lb.! I bought a pound for dinner tonight along with some steamed broccoli.

Grilled chicken salad, along with some leftover roasted broccoli and some chopped veggies combined with Pesto from the freezer.

Used my new Lodge Cast Iron 12" skillet tonight to fry some home fried potatoes. Along with this we had eggs and bacon.

My chives are going crazy, just hacked off a big bunch, so I may have to make some tuna salad.

Andy, that's a nice find on those scallops. :yum:

We're having leftovers. Probably will be having leftovers for the next three days. Too much to do around here right now to fuss with cooking fresh every night. I will make salads for us IF my arms hold out - 3 hours in the garden isn't smart for the first time out in a season. :wacko:

I think I'm going to try a Kielbasa, potato, carrots and cabbage recipe for the pressure cooker. Lots of spicy brown mustard. Maybe some beer batter bread.

I went to check out the fresh fish situation for dinner tonight and stumbled across some sea scallops on sale for $9.99/Lb.! I bought a pound for dinner tonight along with some steamed broccoli.

Not such a great deal after all.

I knew they were different from regular dry sea scallops when I looked at them in the store. They were smaller (though not as small as bay scallops) and more uniform in size. The sign said "Farm Raised". I had never noticed that sea scallops were farm raised before. But the were dry and scallops so I decided to risk $10.

I got my CI skillet really hot, added some oil and butter and added the scallops. They started to brown really well then I noticed they had released a fair amount of water into the pan. That stopped the browning process on the spot. I finished cooking them and we ate them. Really disappointing.

I'm going to have a talk with the fish guy.

Thanks for the report, Andy.
I had some scallops like that one time and wondered what was up with them. Now I might have the answer.

Sous Vide rib-eye steak at 122F for 3-4 hours (I forgot to count but with Sous Vide cooking doesn't matter much after you pass a threshold where you have both denatured the proteins and run enough time-temperature curve that your bacteria are guaranteed dead). I seared it on a grill marked cast iron pan, it was fantastic and perfect, with a brown outside and a thick pink band in the middle.

With it I had home mashed rustic potatoes (I've described my crude but effective technique before), and crescent rolls.

Now I really had a leap of intuition with the rolls. I've been making store crescent rolls a lot recently, and a few day ago I decided to start adding BIG mushrooms doused with salt and butter, and they were good.

So I chopped up some mushrooms into little bits and sauteed them in butter, and then by come cleverness I managed to roll them inside the crescents! And OMG they were really good. I ran out of mushrooms so I used some left over black beans and they were good too!

So my advice is to explore what you can wrap up in the crescent triangles.

We had lunch with TB's parents today at a Chinese restaurant we all love. We had a dinner for four with prawns, S&S pork, chicken chow mien, fried rice and beef and broccoli. It was delicious and I ate a lot so I wasn't hungry at dinner time. And they gave us all the leftovers so I can always heat that up later if I want it!

Same here!

All of my ice cubes smell & taste like GARLIC! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I know what you mean. I've got garlic breath so bad right now the dogs won't even come near me. :blush:

garlic-breath.png

Just a breakfast dinner tonight! We had scrambled eggs, polenta with cheese, sausage balls, toast with butter and jelly, and fresh fruits of bananas, minneolas, or navel oranges.

Back
Top Bottom